ABDTR #5 Alberta Chapter #5 Discussion

home garage lighting fixtures

Search this Thread

Old 08-28-2011, 10:21 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Oh and I got mine for about $16 each at homedepot, it was what ever the cheapest fixtures they had were. But they had no bulbs, had to buy those extra.
Old 08-28-2011, 10:46 PM

Originally Posted by dvst8r
When you figure you have gone WAY overkill with light, really you have just enough.
Like my last count of 51 fixtures?
Old 08-28-2011, 11:22 PM

Scotty, definately go with the T8's dont fool with the T12's old old technology. Way harder on power. If you can afford it go with the T5's, bit more pricey, but man amazing light, super effiecient
Old 08-29-2011, 05:10 AM
Banned

Not as concerned with the lights as I am with keeping the garage warm/ventilated since it's the only place in the house that's completely mine. When I work, in the summer I open the garage door for natural light/ventilation, in the winter if there's a Chinook, same thing. If it's 40 below then.........NO.
I'll just watch the Weather Channel to see when's a Chinook so I can do my projects.
Got 6" potlights with infrared bulbs in my garage, light is good for work and it keeps the garage and sink from freezing in the winter, $75 for a contractor's 6 pack of 6" potlights. Bulbs are expensive but they work well. On top of the work bench got some 4' t12's got for free from a commercial reno - come in handy since the infrareds take awhile to warm up if it's cold. However my garage I use as a wood working shop/tool storage and to keep pickles/preserves. Also got the beer fridge, a deep farm type sink to clean my tools when I'm done a job, and, if it's cold outside my smoking area.
I'm happy with the lights, could use a better heater tho... Lowest my garage got was -5C last winter, with the lights off for 3-4 days when outside was -40C. My sink froze both the P trap and faucet had to thaw it. Usually I have about +10C with just the insulation, vapor barrier and 1/2" firetaped drywall and regular use of just 2 of the infrared lights however if it gets stupid outside I leave the lights on at night, keeps it just above 0 so nothing will freeze.
Old 08-29-2011, 09:03 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
By all means scotty go with the T8's as Morkble said. The ballasts are still a black box insidet he fixture just smaller and lighter with the electronics, you'll notice the difference as soon as you pick it up. There really is no such thing as too much light. If a guy is doing body/paint work quite often they will mount lights down low on the walls to get rid of any shadows.
Old 08-29-2011, 09:03 AM

Originally Posted by Tate
Like my last count of 51 fixtures?
Our lighting density when done should be similar, you just have double the area.
Old 08-29-2011, 09:51 AM

whoa that's a lot of lights!

i think i'll start with 2 over the bench and 4 for the 20x20 area . . . i don't think the fiance will like me dropping much more than $90 on 'garage lighting' that doesn't even get me bulbs!!!

if it's not enough - i'll jut wait for them to come on sale at CT again . . .
Old 08-29-2011, 10:21 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by Doj Dewd
whoa that's a lot of lights!

i think i'll start with 2 over the bench and 4 for the 20x20 area . . . i don't think the fiance will like me dropping much more than $90 on 'garage lighting' that doesn't even get me bulbs!!!

if it's not enough - i'll jut wait for them to come on sale at CT again . . .
Over the years I threw out tons of T12's, potlights, etc that I take off during renovations. After I installed my lights got a job where they wanted new potlights, got 50 used but still good potlights in my garage for over a yr until one day my electrician got a job where he used them, so I gave them to him for free. He's a great guy and in the 3 yrs since we've been neighbors we helped each other quite a bit. If you're not in any rush I can ask him if he's got any t12/t8's kicking around that you could pick up for cheap or even free. I'd still go with the potlights with infrared lightbulbs, yhey're just like lightbulbs however it warms up the concrete and makes a garage nice and cozy to spent time in during those cold winter days. You'd still need some source of heat, however, not as much when the slab is at 10 to 12C+
Then, you can use the potlights as junction boxes for the T5/T8's later on.
Another thing not to skimp on is good insulation/vapor barrier and firetape the drywall to keep the heat in.
Old 08-29-2011, 11:19 AM

my garage is already drywalled/insulated. i also have a CALCANA infrared tube heater. so, not too worried about adding potlights to warm it up in there!

if he has a bunch of T8 fixtures he wants to get rid of i can take them off his hands if they are the new electronic style only. if not, then i'll just spend the $15/pop at CT while they are on sale . . .