ABDTR #5 Alberta Chapter #5 Discussion

Got my traction bars on this weekend

Search this Thread

Old 08-02-2009, 03:43 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
..............I was just thinking the opposite those look way under built for the power you make.
Old 08-02-2009, 06:00 PM

I dont know much about traction bars. Similar looking rod is used to support engine rads/intercooler on semis. Over the years have seen alot break. Just asking, is it good to have the front ridge to the spring hanger? I know that your truck is used only on the track, wouldnt a helm joint be better @ the front of the rod for some travel up/down. Just looking for info, thanks.
Old 08-02-2009, 06:35 PM

Originally Posted by 1-5-3-6-2-4
..............I was just thinking the opposite those look way under built for the power you make.
I have to agree here, the power your putting out will nuke these in no time, if not in the first couple of passes.

Small diameter tubing/rod, everything mounted in single shear, going to guess at 3/16 plate for the mount on the spring and the leading mount is a no-no, that will grenade pronto. There is no allowance for the normal up/down cycle of the suspension, it will bend and break as it is.

Personally, I would upgrade the thickness of the spring mount and double it so that you can trap the bar between the two mounts...double shear using both sets of spring U-bolts. And use a heim joint on the rear. Upgrade the diameter/size of the main tube and use a heim joint on the front mount also, again in double shear. Ends up being adjustable to boot as well as everything is double shear.

From experience, our old 800hp Class 8 desert truck would pretzel those the first time we stuff the throttle and that is on dirt.

My couple of pennies worth

Jeff
Old 08-02-2009, 08:25 PM

I dont think that there should be any problems with this,, very thick rod, strong mount,, if there was going to be a problem it will be the bolt that the rod mounts to the bracket...

as far as travel, not too worried about that as this truck never really drives too much on the street
Old 08-02-2009, 09:28 PM

does it look a little small sure and im not sure about the bolts or rod but lets say that weld for example if thats 1" pipe that weld should be good for 70 000 pounds pull befor breaking.
Old 08-02-2009, 10:57 PM

only time will tell........the track will make it or break it. no question there.

I don't think the bolt in shear will be the problem. but i think you'll waste those front bushing 1st full power full 1/4. the suspention cycleing doesn't look like it would be a problem either.
Old 08-02-2009, 11:25 PM

IMO, if anything is gonna give, it will be the bracket on the spring pack. The rod is under tension, so that will be fine. What is the bushing material made of? Rubber will be useless, as it will just extrude itself under a good pull. A hard poly would be better. Steel spherical washers would be better yet. But it should work for a day of racing. Can't be any worse than no bars at all.
Old 08-03-2009, 02:37 AM

it is rubber, but what I did was just tighten the crap out of it so it is just a washer with 2 really big steel washers.

Hey Tate what time will you be here?
Old 08-03-2009, 02:57 AM

Tentatively planning for around 7 or 8 Tuesday night. Hoping all the traffic will be heading up Monday and have clear sailing.

One a side note, theres a wicked thunderstorm going on right now. We are having some wicked weather around here lately.
Old 08-03-2009, 03:08 AM

Yeah, thats what I have been hearing. Been watching the weather reports closely. I will be back home by about that time. I have my last spanish lesson at 6 till 730 . Kelly will be home though
Old 08-03-2009, 04:57 PM
The Guru

The bracket from the axle to the bar looks like a weak link.`The bar will take the load, just all the deflextion will occur at the bracket. Time will tell. worst case, next year build a bracket to stiffen up that part to the leaf. I would inspect that bracket to see if its secure to your u-bolts after the first few passes. As they hold the springs to the axle in place.
Old 08-03-2009, 07:57 PM

Originally Posted by morkable
Yeah, thats what I have been hearing. Been watching the weather reports closely. I will be back home by about that time. I have my last spanish lesson at 6 till 730 . Kelly will be home though
You should answer your MSN messages so we can figure out what tools I need to bring up with me.
Old 08-03-2009, 09:53 PM

if you want to play four link it with coil overs , that will fix all the issues , but that my 3 cents
Old 08-03-2009, 10:14 PM

if you 4 link it then you have problems with the front end, its a vicious cycle... and also I am just a poor boy,, I cant even afford turbos let alone major suspension work
Old 08-03-2009, 10:51 PM
The Guru

The project looks like its coming together pretty well. you get the head and second CP installed yet? What weight did you think that you'll end up at?
What was your 60ft last year?

Quick Reply: Got my traction bars on this weekend