ABDTR #5 Alberta Chapter #5 Discussion

Garden tiller

Search this Thread

Old 10-13-2012, 02:00 PM
Pickin on the wrong admin...

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Garden tiller

I think it's time to maybe retire this old girl....Dad bought this tiller for the farm garden yet in 1971..She tilled a lot of acreas of garden..(4hp briggs and straton)

The problem is...It was working a couple of weeks ago and now it decide not to start.I rebuilt the carb,adjusted the coil (has good spark) and even removed the head and cleaned the camber..Even removed the valves and cleaned..Still will not fire..So far what I got is a twisted back from it..

Is there anything else I could try??I looked for a replacement motor with no luck.

Maybe have to give up and look for another older tiller...One that at least runs....Don't want to buy a new one because they are pricey and darn...Are they built cheap..
Old 10-13-2012, 02:07 PM

Received 36 Likes on 32 Posts
Have you tried some fresh premium gas, I find that regular gas is not good in all my small engines and it goes off quickly, I now use only premium gas.
Old 10-13-2012, 02:13 PM

Haven't tried premium gas...I will get some and give it a try..thx
Old 10-13-2012, 04:04 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I believe there is a mag involved in those old B&S.. that's what they told me when mine died.
Old 10-13-2012, 04:52 PM
Sausage Aficionado (In training)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Dave, first thing I do when trouble shooting these old engines is spray a bunch of ether down the throat of the carb. If the spark part of the engine is working I have never had an engine that won't run for a few seconds on the ether fumes. If it runs for you, you know the problem is carb / fuel related. If it still won't run, you are probably looking at a spark or valve problem.

I bought a new 17" Husquavarna tiller from a shop in Millarville 3 yrs ago when my old Craftsman / Sears tiller went up in flames. I am serious about the flames, but that is a story for another day. I wish I had bought the new tiller years ago. It is a front engine / rear impeller machine with powered wheels. If I remember correctly, I paid about $1,000 for it. Tilling our tough soil used to just about jar me to bits. Our main veggie garden is about an acre and I would often be tilling for 90 mins or so at a time. When I would get done, I was totally spent. My arms and back were exhausted. Now, I can almost till one-handed and it does an amazing job, it tears the weeds out really well and turns the soil into a fine powder. I would highly recommend the model I got. If you want more info, let me know, I will go find the model number - it is parked in the barn right now.

The only option I didn't get was electric start but it has never taken more than 2 pulls to get it going, even the first time of the season.
Old 10-13-2012, 09:01 PM

I tried the premium gas today...Still does want to fire....I'm going to try the ether spray...I warned the neighbours,if they hear a explosion,I blow the head off the tiller.....

I only have 1235 square feet that I need to keep tilling...I tilled my whole front yard last year and planted potatables this year (forcing nitogen into the soil)...Our soil is so bad in our area,that the soil got like cement..Gave the the yard a good shot of Zeolite and peat moss,so far...I'm going with a full blown,front yard garden next year...If I could break down the clay..

It was really strange this year...I had so many positive compliments in my front yard planted in potatables.Even seen people taking pictures.saying it was so cool to see something different....

I tell them I grow up on a farm....That explains it all...

Hmmm...Have a yard in canola and half in rye...That may look good...Yellow and blue front yard...
Old 10-13-2012, 09:12 PM

Dave, I am starting to have some luck with our tough soil. Spuds are very good for soil, plus add lots of organics like lawn clippings in autumn and spring. My farmer friend keeps telling me I need to add some sand too.

What part of Calgary are you in? PM me if you aren't comfortable saying in a public forum. I have a 6ft wide PTO drive rototiller that can turn Tarmac into nice loam if you have a tractor with enough PTO hp. My 1952 IH tractor is only 38 PTO and my garden still bogs it down in a few spots.
Old 10-13-2012, 09:30 PM

Originally Posted by Tallguy67
Dave, I am starting to have some luck with our tough soil. Spuds are very good for soil, plus add lots of organics like lawn clippings in autumn and spring. My farmer friend keeps telling me I need to add some sand too.

What part of Calgary are you in? PM me if you aren't comfortable saying in a public forum. I have a 6ft wide PTO drive rototiller that can turn Tarmac into nice loam if you have a tractor with enough PTO hp. My 1952 IH tractor is only 38 PTO and my garden still bogs it down in a few spots.
I'm doing this right in the city.......I live in Canyon Meadows...I have the greatest neighbours...all are retired farmers..

I have a 1948 Massey Harris (bought brand new by my grandfather)..with PTO connected to a sarlin pump...(sitting in Manitoba)

I need a acreage...
Old 10-13-2012, 10:27 PM

Originally Posted by Diesel Dave2
I need a acreage...
Dave, funny thing is, I never know whether to say I have an acreage or a farm. Do you know where Dalemead is? How about McKinninon Flats - I am right near there. I am 15 mins east of Deerfoot, just south of 22x.

The reason I don't know how to describe our place is that 20 acres is too small for a farm and too big for most people to call an acreage.
Old 10-14-2012, 10:02 AM

Yes....I seen Dalemead on the map...20 acreas is a nice size...Is it mostly pasture land ?
Old 10-14-2012, 10:38 AM

Yes....I seen Dalemead on the map...20 acreas is a nice size...Is it mostly pasture land ?
Yes, almost all pasture land. Previous owners were Quarter Horse breeders and it is all fenced and cross fenced with high tension smooth wire into 7 fields plus about 3 acres we keep mowed around the house. The pastures were all seeded in a good hay pasture mix. We now get it cut and baled. This year we got 33 x 1200 lb round bales.

My wife likes her garden best - about 1 acre. Personally my favorite thing is the heated barn I have converted into my shop. It is a post and beam structure so there are post inside. It is a tight fit to get my truck in there but when it is -30C and the truck needs work, I make it fit.
Old 10-14-2012, 01:20 PM

Received 36 Likes on 32 Posts
Originally Posted by Tallguy67
Dave, funny thing is, I never know whether to say I have an acreage or a farm. The reason I don't know how to describe our place is that 20 acres is too small for a farm and too big for most people to call an acreage.
It's a "Ranch" especially with quarter horses in the mix.

I keep a small squirt bottle that I can put a little gas into for troubleshooting starting issues, just squirt a little into the intake and crank or pull, I always use fresh gas though. 30 odd years ago I was cutting the grass when the lawn mower ran out of gas, I filled it up then continued cutting the grass. Next time I went to start it wouldn't, I tore the whole thing apart trying to find why. The problem was old gas, when the engine was hot it started right after refilling but after sitting and cooling off it would not start. Lesson learned.
Old 10-14-2012, 03:11 PM

Originally Posted by Busboy
It's a "Ranch" especially with quarter horses in the mix.

I keep a small squirt bottle that I can put a little gas into for troubleshooting starting issues, just squirt a little into the intake and crank or pull, I always use fresh gas though. 30 odd years ago I was cutting the grass when the lawn mower ran out of gas, I filled it up then continued cutting the grass. Next time I went to start it wouldn't, I tore the whole thing apart trying to find why. The problem was old gas, when the engine was hot it started right after refilling but after sitting and cooling off it would not start. Lesson learned.
Thanks....Haven't had time to work on it today...Building a retainer wall now....

Weird thing it ran good last year...Ran good begining of this year...And just all of a sudden...Decides to quit...

It has been using new gas since last year...Going to give it another try later today...One thing that is nice on the newer engines...They have a primer bulb..I know my lawn mower likes to have issues...Couple of pumps of the bulb and away it goes...I should see if I could find a leak tester...Maybe the compression is low..Not sure how many hours before these type of engine need a complete overhaul..
Old 10-14-2012, 08:40 PM

I tried the premium gas today...Still does want to fire....I'm going to try the ether spray...I warned the neighbours,if they hear a explosion,I blow the head off the tiller.....

I only have 1235 square feet that I need to keep tilling...I tilled my whole front yard last year and planted potatables this year (forcing nitogen into the soil)...Our soil is so bad in our area,that the soil got like cement..Gave the the yard a good shot of Zeolite and peat moss,so far...I'm going with a full blown,front yard garden next year...If I could break down the clay..

It was really strange this year...I had so many positive compliments in my front yard planted in potatables.Even seen people taking pictures.saying it was so cool to see something different....

I tell them I grow up on a farm....That explains it all...

Hmmm...Have a yard in canola and half in rye...That may look good...Yellow and blue front yard...
Glad you have good neighbors Dave,buddy of mine in the Hampton's was told to rip out all his potato plants from his front yard by C of C bylaw(it only takes one on the block)---apparently its a no/no.Good for the soil but not for are loving social engineering/left lib/NDPers @city hall.
Old 10-19-2012, 10:06 PM

hey dave did you pull the fly wheel ?

Quick Reply: Garden tiller