ABDTR #5 Alberta Chapter #5 Discussion

Fluid for Hydrosteer

Search this Thread

Old 07-09-2013, 07:56 AM
Sausage Aficionado (In training)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Fluid for Hydrosteer

Good morning Alberta DTR folks, I am asking this question here rather than the 2nd gen thread because whatever the answer I need to source my fluids here in the Calgary area and I am referring to the truck in the sig.

As I pulled into Strathmore on Saturday my hydrosteer gave a huge growl as I made a fast right turn and I lost a bit of power steering. No big deal, the fluid is just a little low. My question is, what fluid do we actually put in there? One guy at Courtesy Chrysler said to use ATF+4, another guy at another Chrysler dealership said to use their power steering fluid. This shouldn't be that hard.

Truth be known, I would be just as happy to go with Amsoil, but I cannot get a straight answer there as to what I should use. Who ever thought something as simple power steering type fluid would be so difficult.

So, help me please, what am I supposed to use and also, if I want to go the Amsoil route, which Amsoil product do I use, where can I get it in the Calgary area and I also seem to remember hearing that there is some kind of lubricity additive (Lubraguard or something like that) that can add to help keep the hydrosteer a little happier when it is -40C.

Thanks in advance folks.
Old 07-09-2013, 08:07 AM
Pickin on the wrong admin...

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Sent you a email where to get Amsoil products..
Old 07-09-2013, 10:24 AM

Received 36 Likes on 32 Posts
In my 2001 I used to use the Amsoil synthetic power steering fluid just by itself and it worked great in the winter.
Old 07-09-2013, 04:03 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2nd gen's use PS fluid. 3rd gens use ATF.
Old 07-09-2013, 04:20 PM

Tate, thanks very much. For some reason the Amsoil site says they recommend their ATF but I was sure I had heard that ATF wasn't until the third gens. I really would hate to fry my Hydrosteer.
Old 07-10-2013, 10:22 PM

What a frustrating situation. 2 supposedly very experienced Dodge service managers, the Amsoil website and 1 Amsoil salesguy (not the one I was referred to by Diesel_Dave2) tell me to put ATF+4 in the hydrosteer for my 2000 Ram 2500. Pretty much everyone on here AND my Dodge Field Service Manual (not Chilton's or Haynes) tell me to use Power Steering Fluid. At this point I am going to ignore the service managers and the Amsoil website. I am going to go with power steering fluid. I need the truck this weekend so I will use standard power steering fluid for the small amount of driving this weekend and I will order Amsoil power steering fluid and long term replacement. This seems like a simple thing, it shouldn't have been ANYWHERE near this difficult.
Old 07-11-2013, 09:05 AM

Originally Posted by Tallguy67
What a frustrating situation. 2 supposedly very experienced Dodge service managers, the Amsoil website and 1 Amsoil salesguy (not the one I was referred to by Diesel_Dave2) tell me to put ATF+4 in the hydrosteer for my 2000 Ram 2500. Pretty much everyone on here AND my Dodge Field Service Manual (not Chilton's or Haynes) tell me to use Power Steering Fluid. At this point I am going to ignore the service managers and the Amsoil website. I am going to go with power steering fluid. I need the truck this weekend so I will use standard power steering fluid for the small amount of driving this weekend and I will order Amsoil power steering fluid and long term replacement. This seems like a simple thing, it shouldn't have been ANYWHERE near this difficult.
...Just like trying to get a project done at the office...

it shouldn't have been ANYWHERE near this difficult.[/QUOTE]
Old 07-11-2013, 03:51 PM

Originally Posted by Diesel Dave2
...Just like trying to get a project done at the office...

it shouldn't have been ANYWHERE near this difficult.
[/QUOTE]

Maybe your work projects would go faster if you didn't spend time on DTR during the day
Old 07-12-2013, 12:30 AM

I used synthetic PS fluid for years in my 2000. I've used both Valvoline and Amsoil. Couldn't tell a difference I either.

You will for sure be fine running synthetic PS fluid. No need to flush either, just suck out what you can and replace. Do this every week or two for 2 or 3 times and your fluid should nicely freshened.
Old 07-12-2013, 09:53 AM

Originally Posted by Doj Dewd
I used synthetic PS fluid for years in my 2000. I've used both Valvoline and Amsoil. Couldn't tell a difference I either.

You will for sure be fine running synthetic PS fluid. No need to flush either, just suck out what you can and replace. Do this every week or two for 2 or 3 times and your fluid should nicely freshened.
Thanks for the info. I need to use the truck this weekend so I will grab some Valvoline synthetic on the way home tonite.

Enjoy your new truck.
Old 07-12-2013, 12:00 PM

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts
What does your owner's manual say with respect to power steering fluid?

My owner's manual for my 2004.5 says ATF4 for power steering system as was mentioned above.
Old 07-12-2013, 12:22 PM

Maybe your work projects would go faster if you didn't spend time on DTR during the day [/QUOTE]

Just being funky....
Old 07-12-2013, 12:27 PM

Originally Posted by StealthDiesel
What does your owner's manual say with respect to power steering fluid?

My owner's manual for my 2004.5 says ATF4 for power steering system as was mentioned above.
My truck didn't come with an Owners' Manual but the Chrysler branded Service Manual that I bought clearly says 'Use MOPAR Power Steering Fluid or equivalent. Do not use automatic transmission fluid and do not overfill.'

That is why that I am going with PS fluid not the ATF+4 that 2 dealerships have told me to use.
Old 07-14-2013, 10:02 AM

Did you find synthetic PS fluid?

If not, I have extra Amsoil at home in Okotoks you could use...