ABDTR #5 Alberta Chapter #5 Discussion

FASS pump acting up

Search this Thread

Old 01-07-2011, 12:09 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
FASS pump acting up

Well the pump is starting to cut in and out once again and blow fuses, making bad noises. Pressure surges from 5 psi up to just under 30 and is erratic. I thought maybe it was due to the cold, but it sounds like the motor is going on it again.
Is there some kind of brush upgrade for these pumps. Not sure if I have warrenty for my pump plus the cost of shipping the thing for the second or third time does not apeal to me nor does having no fuel pump on my truck for a month.

Is there a authorized repair facility for these pumps here in Ab incase I do have warrenty left?
How much of a pain is it to open these pumps up and replace brushes?

The pump is a HPF95gph.
Old 01-07-2011, 10:36 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
were did you buy it ?
Old 01-07-2011, 10:39 AM

Harbour City Diesel on Vancouver Island
Old 01-07-2011, 10:45 AM

oh ok . well fass does have a good warranty , i have put alot of them in never had a problem ,, i would give them a call
Old 01-07-2011, 11:05 AM

It is such a pain in the butt with the cost of shipping, plus the down time with no fuel pump on my truck meaning the truck itself will not be running.

The last time I called FASS they had me go through Harbour City, with is 1200km away. They wanted me to ship it to the Dealer then they would ship it out. I said that I was going to direct ship it to them and they could deal with the RMA#. By the time I got the pump back 3 or 4 weeks later I had to pay duty plus shipping It is almost worth not sending the pump in for warrenty.

It may just be time to throw it in the scrap heap of parts and buy another pump from somewhere else.

What do you pay for shipping?
Old 01-08-2011, 02:57 PM

Anyone have the phone number to FASS.
The insides of the motor are all shorted out on my pump this is the second time this has happened with this pump.
Old 01-08-2011, 05:30 PM

i use dhl alot ,,, but i would say you have a eletric issue but the motor maybe burnt now
Old 01-08-2011, 09:41 PM

Ya the motor is done, I am going to see if I can get it rebuilt locally. Do you knwo if FASS will sell the replacemnt parts such as the brush and holders along with the armature.
Old 01-09-2011, 09:47 AM
The Guru

I would call Malcolm, he probably can get you warranty for the pump. I thought that some of the fass have a life time warranty. I've run mine for 8 years now, almost forget that its there.
Old 01-09-2011, 11:36 AM

The last time I had to send this pump in it was surging pressure and would go from 0-30 randomly plus making some loud noises.(I was told they were loud pumps) I was told it was my fuel filter, I changed it out and the same thing, then I was told it was my FP gauge so I bleed it. Since some people were having problems with their FP gauges and isolaters I continued to run the pump thinknig it was the isolater. The morning of a week long hunting trip the pump failed completely. Needless to say I sent the pump back after a bit of hassle. Got the thing back and they had to replace the brushes and brush holder. The pump ran good, but after a week of use changed it's sound from to a more rough running. I checked all my wiring and things were good. I thought this was normal.

Now here I am with a similar story, the pump has a totally different wiring harness on a different truck. Not sure what to think of it, get a year and a bit out of the pump till it fails is not very good.

Not sure how me taking the pump apart to figure out what is wrong with the motor will effect any warrenty, but I am lucky it did not actually catch fire their was arching inside of the case and burnt black.

Last time I dealt with Malcom he was scratching his head as to why they wanted me to send him my pump so he could then send it to them. As was I.

Does anyone know how much a new eletrical motor complete from FASS costs?
Old 01-09-2011, 12:05 PM
The Guru

You running the draw straw or the stock fuel pick-up? You could have a plugged screen. Mine only makes that noise if the suction is plugged.
Old 01-09-2011, 02:56 PM

It is a draw straw into the fuel cannister with a pre strainer before the pump.
Strainer is in good shape.

The fuel pump is in pieces now to find out what went wrong, will be taking it to a electric shop in the morning to see if they can rebuild it locally.

Does anyone know of a auto electric shop in Red Deer.
Old 01-09-2011, 06:10 PM

i tried Fass when they first came out on my 01,one quit,second replacement started to get real loud---basically i was able to get my money back from the place i bought it from-----no more Fass ever for me.I have Airdog now(basically the same thing)but one difference----this one actually stays working---no problems in 6 years/14PSI ---so far knock on wood.DW
Old 01-09-2011, 06:38 PM

Originally Posted by 03 ant a hemi
It is a draw straw into the fuel cannister with a pre strainer before the pump.
Strainer is in good shape.

The fuel pump is in pieces now to find out what went wrong, will be taking it to a electric shop in the morning to see if they can rebuild it locally.

Does anyone know of a auto electric shop in Red Deer.
Western Rose, there West of Red Deer on 11A. Or Choice Auto Electric both have been pretty good to me.
Old 01-09-2011, 07:34 PM

Thanks for the info.

Quick Reply: FASS pump acting up