ABDTR #5 Alberta Chapter #5 Discussion

falling short

Search this Thread

Old 11-29-2007, 09:40 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
falling short

my dyno pull fell short (401hp/737ft.lbs) of expectations. Suggestions to reach 500rwhp?

Don M injectors? His web site says the HR 370's can go up to 800hp on a single. Aaron, can you supply these yet? PM with cost if applicable.
Don't want/can't afford a dragon fly pump/stupid pump....
don't want/can't afford twins...
Don't want an even bigger single since i just bought this one.
don't want water/meth or nos.
How much more can be gained from afc tweaks alone?
Steve
Old 11-30-2007, 04:31 AM

What kind of boost are you seeing with your b1? Are you opposed to a cam or some head porting? I forsee lack of air being you prime enemy. Getting the fuel is easy, getting the air is the harder part, and you've restricted yourself a lot by not going with a bigger single (the S300 varieties might be a step up over you B1), twins or some kind of drugs. The 215 pump will fuel what you need.

The F1 370's are pretty hot sticks, but I have no doubt they are quality ones. You may want to look into DDP or II Dragon Flow sticks. I think Aaron can get both DDP and II sticks. I'd say look for injectors that have real good spray angle and atomization. You can push all the fuel you want, but deliver it poorly and you'll get a lot of smoke and heat (much like my dyno run).

Does your B1 use an HX40 downpipe? When I get my twins done, you could give my turbo a shot. Its only a couple hours to do a turbo swap. Then you know what a newer single is like opposed to the one you're running.
Old 11-30-2007, 12:43 PM

Thanks for taking the time to respond Tate.
Boost is 43.7 max. EGT, 15 and change on full throttle run up through the gears.
I thought the B1 was an schwitser s300 variant? No?
I know the cast in name has been ground off mine as is standard practice with Turbo Auto Diesel.

Not opposed to a cam it but cost and complexity worry me.
May have porting done at some point if and when HG fails or studs are reqd mandating pulling the head.

Yes, I've got the hx40 downpipe on there .
Thanks for the turbo offer.

This is a new turbo, purchased in July last summer.
I've read comparos and it is said that most s300 variants produce similar hp results.
I've also read barking was an issue with the bomber for may people with an auto tranny. Very little on my nv4500.
I was thinking Turbo Auto diesel would continue refining the bomber with R&D since they first introduced it in 2004 or whatever year....

Just looking for the most cost effective way to get another 100hp... Thanks
S.
Old 12-01-2007, 01:07 AM

Jamie did 570 on a 62mm charger from HTT. Its basically identical to mine except he has a slightly tighter stainless housing. Somewhere around 55 psi. Mine was in the 43-45 psi range. The 12v head doesn't breathe nearly as well as the 24v head, so more pressure is needed to get more air into the cylinder. You could try turning the boost up, but with that comes diminishing gains as pressures increase, intake temps increase, drive pressures increase and EGT's increase. See if you can find some specs on your B1 so we know what you're working with. I know Piers used to sell them, and then they started selling S300's, I think the B1's are a different monster.
Old 12-01-2007, 02:12 PM

OK:
I've been researching the B1 for a few months now. The story goes: In about 2002 Kurt Yardley was retailing Ken Diaz's B1 turbo's From Turbo Auto Diesel as Ken didn't do any retail himself. It is a 62mm schwitzer based s300.
http://www.turbodieselregister.com/f...ell-u-s-b.html

Other compaines reverse engineered the turbo and the Phat shaft and SPS were born.

Others have followed suit.

B1's used to be the most popular big single available.

Once II and HTT entered the picture, Kens lack of marketing kept the B1 in the back ground.

HE is still on the scene. Richard Madsen has used a B-52 turbo from him and Kens shop helped that guy Chaz drop the 4cy cummins in the old orange Bronco. They supplied the injection pump and the turbo for that rig.

What will a 0 or 100 plate do for me hp wise?

Will more star wheel light me quicker? I.E. move that curve to a lower rpm?
Or am I already putting out he fire with too much pre boost fuel?

Others feel free to add input....
S.
Old 12-01-2007, 04:49 PM

If its basically the same thing I got, try fooling with the AFC to see if its possible to get it to start spooling any faster. I don't know much about the AFC tuning, since I just gutted mine and never looked back.

Since you're running marine injectors, a set of aftermarkets might help you out more, since it would have the correct spray pattern.
Old 12-03-2007, 12:34 PM
Chapter President

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Your setup is the same as mine save for the injectors. I have not seen alot over the 400 ish range with 370's. Delivery valves might get you a 50 hp bump.

Boost increase may not be the ticket. If you are cool enough ie. below the 1400 mark for sustained pulls, then you have plenty of air. I have an S300 variant 62mm and I can punch it to 50 psi on a cold day. That being said, I still peg the pyro. The exhaust side on mine is too small basically.

Anyhow, I would try some delivery valves or go to DDP4 injectors or similar. Adjusting the AFC is only for low boost fuel control. Too much fuel down low is not going to light the turbo any faster. Too rich a mixture and the engine can start to stall at lower speeds. I can notice with my foot if you ease into it you can get a better pull than if you just punch it to the floor.
Old 12-04-2007, 12:15 AM

Humm 1500* egt at 400hp. Are you sure that is a 62mm wheel? I am only seeing 1300* at 40psi with my set up, maybe I am WAY under the HP I think (dream) I am at.... (guessing 400)
Old 12-04-2007, 10:31 AM

I measured it myself before install. That's what I came up with.....
Old 12-04-2007, 02:17 PM
Chapter President

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by crankbender
Humm 1500* egt at 400hp. Are you sure that is a 62mm wheel? I am only seeing 1300* at 40psi with my set up, maybe I am WAY under the HP I think (dream) I am at.... (guessing 400)
Exhaust housing has more to do with EGT than compressor at this point. A well ported 14cm housing will flow out and keep EGT's in check.. A tight 12.75 like mine spools great, but gets hot in the higher RPM range even with the WG wide open at 48 psi. Not enough flow exhaust side..