ABDTR #5 Alberta Chapter #5 Discussion

Driving lights.

Old 12-28-2007, 09:14 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Looks great Festus...how do they work for you?
Old 12-29-2007, 03:12 PM

Originally Posted by Dr. Evil
Looks great Festus...how do they work for you?
I like them. I tried them with the supplied filters and found too much of a spot light even after widening the beams. I ordered mine with the addition of the dispersion filters for the 140's and the combo filters for the 170's - more light into the ditches which what I was looking for. I'll run like this for awhile, but I think 100W vertical elements for both sets would be even better.

I haven't noticed how one would readily change the bulbs, but I'll dive into that when it's needed.
Old 12-29-2007, 08:57 PM

Changing bulbs is a dream. Spin the head off and replace the bulb. If it takes you over a minute, your doing something wrong.

Jeff
Old 12-30-2007, 09:14 AM

So there is some adjustability to the beams without the filters as well? I don't know how crazy I will get with filters, bulb swaping etc. I will be so thrilled to have more than one dirty headlight! My other headlight was smashed out by a chunk of chain on a towrope. Don't ask........... LOL
Old 12-30-2007, 09:46 AM

Originally Posted by Swamp_Donkey
So there is some adjustability to the beams without the filters as well? I don't know how crazy I will get with filters, bulb swaping etc. I will be so thrilled to have more than on dirty headlight! My other headlight was smashed out by a chunk of chain on a towrope. Don't ask........... LOL
Yep, turn the housing left, and the beam widens. For me, I like the additional filters that I got with them, but I believe with vertical element bulbs (oval beam), they'd be better without additional filters needed - they come with horizontal element bulbs (round beam).
Old 12-30-2007, 10:38 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
And now for the unanswered question where and how much?? We believe, We believe, we just want some. PK
Old 12-30-2007, 10:57 AM

Originally Posted by P Kennedy
And now for the unanswered question where and how much?? We believe, We believe, we just want some. PK
I got mine from www.grimmperformance.com Contact: Kirk Davis

- set of 140's / clear dispersion filters / 2 extra bulbs
- set of 170's / clear combo filters / 2 extra bulbs
- all above for $550

Some places around here want that for one set.
Old 12-30-2007, 12:15 PM

Done, ordered and on the way Light Force 170's to go with new truck and swamp donkey destroyer on front of truck. Thanks Festus. PK
Old 12-30-2007, 12:17 PM

Originally Posted by P Kennedy
Done, ordered and on the way Light Force 170's to go with new truck and swamp donkey destroyer on front of truck. Thanks Festus. PK

You're welcome! Falcan donkey destroyer? We need pics!
Old 12-30-2007, 06:48 PM

OK I have warmed up, camera warmed up now you can have a picture. Camera was still cold and bumper picture is not very clear but they have some pictures at Falcan Industries web site under "heavy duty bumpers'. PK
Attached Thumbnails Driving lights.-dsc01100.jpg  
Old 12-30-2007, 07:06 PM
Top's Younger Twin

Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts
I'm running the 170's on my truck and I have the same bumper as Festus...I might go that route with the 140's too. Theres a stretch of road I run from Velva ND to Jamestown ND where there are more deer then cars sometimes.
So far so good but some extra ditch lighting doesn't hurt.
I think these TOYO M55's are scaring off the deer with the sound they make rolling down the road.

Scotty
Old 12-30-2007, 09:37 PM

Originally Posted by Scotty
I'm running the 170's on my truck and I have the same bumper as Festus...I might go that route with the 140's too. Theres a stretch of road I run from Velva ND to Jamestown ND where there are more deer then cars sometimes.
So far so good but some extra ditch lighting doesn't hurt.
I think these TOYO M55's are scaring off the deer with the sound they make rolling down the road.

Scotty
Scotty,

M-55's.....thata boy! You need to get your name on the list in the thread I started in the 3rd gen - nondrivetrain for larger Toyo M-55 size availability.

Here:https://www.dieseltruckresource.com/...d.php?t=183470

Also, put it this way, I never want to do anything like enlarging those cut-outs ever again. Just to show you how much of a pain in the backside it really was. Have someone else do it for you and save the stress for them.
Old 12-30-2007, 11:34 PM
Chapter President

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Pat, thats a sharp lookin rig..

Festus, I like the setup in that bumper.. Nice... I was just poking around on EBAY for some 170's, but I will try your contact.. Thanks..

Scotty, glad to see you are still tickin away on that LWB mega...LOL..
Old 12-31-2007, 08:10 AM
Top's Younger Twin

Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts
Originally Posted by Festus
Scotty,

M-55's.....thata boy! You need to get your name on the list in the thread I started in the 3rd gen - nondrivetrain for larger Toyo M-55 size availability.

Here:https://www.dieseltruckresource.com/...d.php?t=183470

Also, put it this way, I never want to do anything like enlarging those cut-outs ever again. Just to show you how much of a pain in the backside it really was. Have someone else do it for you and save the stress for them.
How much bigger can I go with duals? My first set gave me over 100k miles and I could have got over 120 but some of the outside lugs where tearing away...thought I might get tagged on a safety inspection.
The set I have now are over 80k miles combined from the other 07 and this one. I rotate every 10k miles and now run at 70 psi all around.
Only drawback of these tires is ice...they seem to want to slip quicker then the faster wearing/softer compound tires...which makes sense...these tires are the best I have ever used.

I have a few items ahead of tearing up the hands on the bumper...lets hope my urge to cut the bumper leaves before the tools come out.

Nice being on here more too. I really hope to get to some get togethers in 08.

All the best to all of you for the New Year.

Scotty
Old 12-31-2007, 11:17 AM

I used to run those M55 on my pilot car, only tire other than Michelin to survive the quoted milage. You are right, definitely have to watch the ice with M55 and Michelin's. Toyo has a lot tougher sidewall than the Michelin but rides a little stiffer. Scotty speed limit on US 52 is only 55, cant blame bambi for everything especially with those lights. PK

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Driving lights.