ABDTR #5 Alberta Chapter #5 Discussion

Driving lights.

Search this Thread

Old 12-21-2007, 07:14 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Driving lights.

Hey guys. I just mowed down a deer and busted up the plastic on my stock bumper. Now I bought a used Aliarc bumper for my 04.5 I now need some driving lights. If I do recall there are a few guys on the ABDTR that seemed to know what they were talking about when it comes to driving lights. What should I go with? Lightforce, Piaa's, KC's, Hella's, Kangaroo's, Jetco's, Bosch, the list goes on and on...... Just looking for a good light for my dollar. Probably nothing bigger than about 6 inch diameter. I do quite a bit of driving at night on lonely roads with lots of critters, so what would you go with?
Old 12-21-2007, 09:52 PM

Originally Posted by Swamp_Donkey
Hey guys. I just mowed down a deer and busted up the plastic on my stock bumper. Now I bought a used Aliarc bumper for my 04.5 I now need some driving lights. If I do recall there are a few guys on the ABDTR that seemed to know what they were talking about when it comes to driving lights. What should I go with? Lightforce, Piaa's, KC's, Hella's, Kangaroo's, Jetco's, Bosch, the list goes on and on...... Just looking for a good light for my dollar. Probably nothing bigger than about 6 inch diameter. I do quite a bit of driving at night on lonely roads with lots of critters, so what would you go with?
My useless OEM fogs are going bye bye in my aluminum bumper to be replaced with the 4 and a bit LightForce with wide beam filters - the enlarging of hole will happen in the morning. I have 6.5? LightForce to replace my Jetco dual bulb driving lights with, but I'm not sure about it. The Jetco dual bulbs have been great with 100W bulbs. I will probably try them, but will switch back to the Jetco if I even remotely don't like them.

The nice thing is the Jetco's were only $20 and change each from KW plus bulbs - they come with only 55W bulbs.

I'm running Hella 530's for centre fogs and 100W bulbs - third truck with them.

Pics in my gallery of '98 and '07 set-ups.
Old 12-21-2007, 10:07 PM

Lightforce all the way for me. I've run all the brands and Lightforce so far is the best. They have taken some huge rock hits and come away untouched, worth every penny!

Jeff

Old 12-21-2007, 10:09 PM

Have you got them pencil beamed or widened up a bit?
Old 12-21-2007, 10:13 PM

Mine are set to a pencil beam. The way they are aimed though, it puts the light about a mile or so down the road and about 150 ft on either side of the highway.

I've got another set of the 10 inch lights to mount and they will be set for a wide pattern, just need to get my light bar built.

Jeff
Old 12-22-2007, 01:22 AM

Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts
I have been running the 170 lightforce for a couple of years now, so far they are great. They are a bit pricey, but hit a moose once, and see what that costs.

In this size of light, they are the best overall unit I have used so far, I have used PIAA, KC, Hella, and Bosch lights in the past. The lightforce simply has a superior reflector design. I haven't cashed out and bought a set of 240 HID yet, although I have driven a highway truck with not one, but two sets of the HID on the front. That is much like sitting in the driver's seat of the sun. Excellent white light. When you meet a set of HID, it is like looking into a welding arc. Perhaps too much, and definitely puts a hurtin on your wallet.

When in doubt about what lights to buy, just go look at what the long-haul drivers are running. They put a lot of miles on in the dark, and they know what works best.

Good luck with your night light choices
Old 12-22-2007, 09:47 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Any auxiliary light is a bonus and yes price makes a difference, however in a glass lens the Hella 450/550 is what I use simply because of the bumper design. 100 watt bulbs and there is daylight out there. Down side to these lights is the glass lens which if you meet a lot of oncoming traffic will take some hits. A round reflecter is superior to a rectangular but space is sometimes an issue. As Homestead stated the Aussies have it figured out Lightforce have an excellent impact resistant lens and good output characteristics, the 240's are costly and hard to fit into most bumpers. Even if you buy the 140's you wont be disappointed but aim is the most critical point of any light. Mounting "driving" lamps in the fog light openings defeats70% of the lights purpose, driving lights should be approx headlight level or higher. However mounting driving lamps on roll bars is also a waist of time as it scatters light on objects ahead of the light that reflects (like the hood) back into your eyes and reduces there benefits. Larger reflecter = more light output from same size bulb., high wattage bulbs increase output but heat when stopped will melt lenses and blow bulbs. My lights have without a doubt saved me from several wildlife collisions (swamp donkeys & bambi) but also remember when meeting oncoming traffic the few seconds after you turn them off you are temporarily blind due to the difference in output from your headlights. The local law sometimes has a say as to what can be mounted forward on your truck and if it has to be covered on the highway, they are pretty reasonable here until you "arcweld" somebodies retinas to their skull. PK
Old 12-22-2007, 10:06 AM

Well, I'll be tossing the 140's in my bumper, but I did get the wide dispersion lenses for this purpose for the ditches. This is where the OEM ones are severely lacking plus, the inability to aim them them properly - I maxed out their adjustments and can't get them to where I want them, so time to say goodbye to them.
Old 12-25-2007, 12:40 AM

It might be Lightforce for me I guess. On their website I think the hot ticket for me is the 170 striker with the combo lens/clip on filter thingamajiggy. Thanks guys.
Old 12-25-2007, 01:34 AM

I really liked my lightforce, they were excellent on my dodge,, when I get a moment of time I will be putting them on my chev.

Kevin

ps festus, what are doing with your stock fogs?
Old 12-25-2007, 07:36 PM

where is the best place to get the lightforce lights? `are you getting them direct or??? those stryker 170's look awesome. a couple recessed into the back bumper would be the ticket for the idiots that dont know how to dim their highbeams when they run up behind you. not that i would ever do that ;0

ok maybe the 170's would be too big. still a cool idea.
Old 12-26-2007, 01:46 AM

Originally Posted by morkable
I really liked my lightforce, they were excellent on my dodge,, when I get a moment of time I will be putting them on my chev.

Kevin

ps festus, what are doing with your stock fogs?
Kevin, a buddy visited me in the garage while I was removing them. He bought them to replace his broken OEM ones in his truck.
Old 12-26-2007, 10:30 PM

what do you guys think about this? http://www.stylintrucks.com/parts.as...sults_trigger=

what do yall think about it?
Old 12-27-2007, 01:52 AM

Originally Posted by bambam47
what do you guys think about this? http://www.stylintrucks.com/parts.as...sults_trigger=

what do yall think about it?
I don't have a front license plate bracket - plate not required here in Alberta.

My opinion is vibration though. Weight of that unit, plus weight of lights on OEM plastic bracket = vibration. JMHO however.
Old 12-28-2007, 05:29 PM

Done! LightForce 140's with dispersion lenses in the bumper, and 170's with combo filters where the Jetco dual bulb used to be. I still have to set them up a bit better, but the ones in the bumper a way better than the OEM fog lights.

Quick Reply: Driving lights.