ABDTR #5 Alberta Chapter #5 Discussion

ARP 625 Custom Age Headstuds #247-4204

Search this Thread

Old 12-14-2009, 12:52 PM

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts
Originally Posted by dodgediesel
I'm a guessing you sold the regular APR's Joe?
Sorry Jamie, the studs are sold....
Old 12-14-2009, 05:18 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by StealthDiesel
Sorry Jamie, the studs are sold....
No worries Joe.
Old 12-16-2009, 06:10 PM

Kevin M.,

If I recall correctly, your head gasket was fine even after your engine failed... If you don't mind sharing, what studs & what torque spec/re-torque strategy did you use?

Thanks, Joe..
Old 12-16-2009, 09:32 PM

what studs & what torque spec/re-torque strategy did you use?

Thanks, Joe..
My good old regular arp studs were torqued down to 150ftlbs. So if you got the 625's I would defintly add more torque then the 155ftlbs.
Old 12-16-2009, 09:47 PM

Originally Posted by futureowner
My good old regular arp studs were torqued down to 150ftlbs. So if you got the 625's I would defintly add more torque then the 155ftlbs.
We did that to Kev's, and his started to gall. Needed a wrench to back off the nuts off the stud each time, even with copious amounts of lube. I would go to spec personally. Overstretching studs is worse than understretching studs. Especially when they are very close to yeilding. Or the threads might gall up, which will give you a false torque reading and will under stretch the stud anyway.
Old 12-17-2009, 08:02 AM
The Guru

I have 125ft*lbs on my studs right now, its held up to low 50's psi. 625's are rated for 155ft*lbs. Honestly that lots more force than the standard ARP's, so over torquing the studs, really isn't required. Running an oring head and standard studs, I could run up to 70psi of boost and not worry but for the 80+psi runs, you need the 625's.I have no clue what you need to seal-up a 120+psi engine.

With my truck lifted, you have to hook one leg on a wheel well area and lay on the engine bay, to have a hope of getting close to the torque setting. I have a set of brand new 625's just sitting on a bench, waiting for me to build-up my 12v so I'll be doing my 625 stud install outside the vehicle. Just looking for the right injection pump to finish off the package. I saw columbus builds a 1000+cc 13mm pumps. Might have to bug them to get the right info for the engine build-up to get the pump to work right.
http://www.columbusdieselsupply.com/tp3c.php
Old 12-17-2009, 01:23 PM

Originally Posted by futureowner
150 ft-lbs on the regular (2000) ARP's is a ton. As Mike said, the regular ARP studs are spec'd by ARP at 125, the 625's are spec'd at 150.

Part of the reason I dumped my regular ARP's for 625's, is that I've seen too many pics of broken regular ARP's.
As I've mentioned, 625's are total overkill for my truck even after I upgrade the injectors & turbo's, but I have a long history of buying things twice with my Mustang...

Just like my 24K Superglide 5th wheel hitch even though our 5th wheel is no where near that weight. If I bought the 18k hitch, I guarantee we would be looking at 19k 5th wheels in the future.

It's often cheaper to "overkill" things in the long run.
Old 12-17-2009, 09:19 PM

150 ft-lbs on the regular (2000) ARP's is a ton. As Mike said, the regular ARP studs are spec'd by ARP at 125, the 625's are spec'd at 150.

Part of the reason I dumped my regular ARP's for 625's, is that I've seen too many pics of broken regular ARP's.
As I've mentioned, 625's are total overkill for my truck even after I upgrade the injectors & turbo's, but I have a long history of buying things twice with my Mustang...

Just like my 24K Superglide 5th wheel hitch even though our 5th wheel is no where near that weight. If I bought the 18k hitch, I guarantee we would be looking at 19k 5th wheels in the future.

It's often cheaper to "overkill" things in the long run.
(Me too --24K Superglide),just like i said too Joe when we met ,buy the biggest hitch you can before the trailer,who know what we will be hauling 10-15 years from now,at least you can take the hitch with you.DW---PS sound like this is going to be one sweet "towing machine",MERRY CHRISTMAS TO ME,i just ordered MBRP cool duals for the 07 dually from the online store,another thing to install one Sat night
Old 12-17-2009, 10:45 PM

if you know anyone looking for a 24k superglide hitch. Pm me.
Old 12-18-2009, 09:30 AM
The Guru

What brand is it, Luke you have any pictures of the hitch?

I just use an el-cheapo Reese fifth hitch, it works but its a pain to throw into the bed. I want one of those fancy hitch, but never had the cash for one. I want a fancy hitch if I ever bought a new truck one day. Isn't all fifth hitch rated at 25k? I know my $300 reese hitch is, I bought it used back in 2002. It has lots of towing miles on it, I even bent my last trailers kingpin. I got that from hauling my trailer on a few twisty BC roads.
Old 12-18-2009, 07:12 PM

Originally Posted by Mike Holmen
What brand is it, Luke you have any pictures of the hitch?

I just use an el-cheapo Reese fifth hitch, it works but its a pain to throw into the bed. I want one of those fancy hitch, but never had the cash for one. I want a fancy hitch if I ever bought a new truck one day. Isn't all fifth hitch rated at 25k? I know my $300 reese hitch is, I bought it used back in 2002. It has lots of towing miles on it, I even bent my last trailers kingpin. I got that from hauling my trailer on a few twisty BC roads.
It you think the Reese is a pain, the Superglide is a Bi$ch to move around,i have never taken mine out of the 2001 truck,just about fell over when "Joe" told me he uses his engine hoist to move it out of his ride---i guess the 24K one weighs in close to 300LBS.Once i transfer it over to the 07 dually ---it is staying put under the tonneu cover.---i' haul stuff in the 01 if i need a bed.DW
Old 12-18-2009, 08:29 PM
The Guru

Dweiler, You using the 01 these days? I've been enjoying mine lots lately. I ran one of those 6.4L furds today. I had my box on 1X1, no smarty, I had one truck lenght on him right off the lights. I took my foot off the throttle, as you have to make it interesting. Let him pull a fender on me. After that I dump the throttle onto the floor. Walked away and he just saw my bumper. I thought that those 6.4L where faster than that. The few 6.7L felt pretty quick when I drove them around town. Anyways, I'm glad I'm driving the old iron.
Old 12-19-2009, 09:28 AM

Originally Posted by DWeiler
It you think the Reese is a pain, the Superglide is a Bi$ch to move around,i have never taken mine out of the 2001 truck,just about fell over when "Joe" told me he uses his engine hoist to move it out of his ride---i guess the 24K one weighs in close to 300LBS.Once i transfer it over to the 07 dually ---it is staying put under the tonneu cover.---i' haul stuff in the 01 if i need a bed.DW
The 24K Superglide is an awesome hitch. (I should comment & bump Luke's ad on ABDiesels.com). It's "autoslides" back 18" so it's a no brainer for shortbox trucks.
No way to break the back window by the 5th wheel which is common for shortbox trucks.

But it's weighs a ton & does not break down at all. Plus it takes up a ton of room in the box. Plus the $$$$$$.
I got my routine down pat with my engine hoist to get it in & out. It's really too much for 2 guys to manhandle.

Dave W., I'm trying to figure out a way to "lock" the slider so I can tow any 5th wheel at all. I have a couple of ideas, have you every thought about this?
Old 12-19-2009, 11:15 AM

there were to c-clamps on the slider on my hitch when we unloaded it from buddies truck. I don't think it requires much force to stop the sliding action. the hitch still takes all of the front back forces.

me and the other guy hand bombed the hitch out of his truck. it was heavy but not unreasonable.
Old 12-19-2009, 03:57 PM

Originally Posted by Mike Holmen
Dweiler, You using the 01 these days? I've been enjoying mine lots lately. I ran one of those 6.4L furds today. I had my box on 1X1, no smarty, I had one truck lenght on him right off the lights. I took my foot off the throttle, as you have to make it interesting. Let him pull a fender on me. After that I dump the throttle onto the floor. Walked away and he just saw my bumper. I thought that those 6.4L where faster than that. The few 6.7L felt pretty quick when I drove them around town. Anyways, I'm glad I'm driving the old iron.
Managed to swing 4 days off next week,(10----12hour+ days straight in order to get these days)----Thurs to Sunday,gonna grab the blue truck and head north to my folks place between Peace River/Fort ST John(round trip is 2000KM)on Wed after work,probable be up for 24hrs or so,but i have not had "Christmas" with my folks in 3 years.---Tuff month for me mileage wise,between work/pleasure i should run about 11000KM this month .I did not put a lot of miles on the 01 in 2009 due to me hauling stuff in the bed of the dually + my quad trailer up to the vacation place.Quad trailer has paid for its self over the last few years making over 100 trips loaded with supplies,one or 2 more years and the place will be done.Buddies of mine has a Ford 6.4----its not that fast,but put a box on them and they wake up OK---to bad he is having electrical gremlins now(off warranty)truck runs fine but no dash lights/heater/back up camera/4x4 does not like the cold,not engaging---- mostly the creature comforts are taking a dump,work one day and not the next---lets hope they don't have to pull the cab to fix these problems..DW

Quick Reply: ARP 625 Custom Age Headstuds #247-4204