ABDTR #5 Alberta Chapter #5 Discussion

anyone versed in changing injectors want to help me out?

Search this Thread

Old 06-20-2009, 06:09 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
i was gonna' call you dave bu ti see you found it here. if you don't mind, would you call me between 10 & 11 am sometime to remind me about the wire?

i'm not at home right now, and may not be home until the morning. i just don't want to forget . . .
Old 06-20-2009, 07:25 PM
Pickin on the wrong admin...

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Oh boy...let me see how good my memory is...
Old 06-20-2009, 08:28 PM

You know that means you'll have to get up early Dave I'll be at home all day working on my daughters car, repalcing a strut assemble. She broke a spring on the front right side.
Old 06-20-2009, 09:37 PM
The Guru

Chris, thats sounds like work stuff thats for sure. You have the strut tool to install a new spring. Swapping injectors is almost like rotating tires to me. The worst part on changing injectors on a smoken hot vehicles is not trying to get burnt. Usually it takes a good hour for the vehicle to cool down enough so you can actually work on it.
Old 06-20-2009, 11:02 PM

Originally Posted by Mike Holmen
Chris, thats sounds like work stuff thats for sure. You have the strut tool to install a new spring. Swapping injectors is almost like rotating tires to me. The worst part on changing injectors on a smoken hot vehicles is not trying to get burnt. Usually it takes a good hour for the vehicle to cool down enough so you can actually work on it.
I'd rather work on a smoking hot engine than remove those stupid injector lines. VP lines have terrible positioning.

Just remember to reinstall all the connector tubes. I made that mistake once. A big puddle develops really fast.
Old 06-20-2009, 11:14 PM

This should be interesting....I will only be watching because I have no idea on 24V...Maybe I will roll my spare tire around the block...
Old 06-21-2009, 03:12 AM

I never removed the injector lines once anytime I changed sticks in my 24v. I could do a set in about 90 minutes.

talk about injectors on a hot engine. rigs roll in to the shop all the time right off the road. drop their trailer in the yard. and BAM you're in it. on the clock at shop rate no time for waiting around elbows deep.
Old 06-21-2009, 10:44 AM
The Guru

You can just back off the connector line nut and wiggle out the injector. I like to pry the connect tube out slightly, so it doesn't connector tip doesn't score the injector body. The #6 injector, you never completely the connector nut out as its a bear to get back into position. I've done a complete injector swap in an hour, but that slam bam, rush stuff. Usually I drop one of those injector copper washer into the head as your dropping in the injector. I usually put on some lite grease to keep the copper washer in position.

I feel for you heavy duty mechanics, as the truck has to be done right and fast. Most hiway trucks have to run 24hrs a day just to make money these days.

Luke, did you get your class one? Its been so long for me, I should take a driving class like you did.
Old 06-21-2009, 10:58 AM

Yup, I have Class 1 6 licence now. So i can legally drive anything on the road.

i had to do a tune up on an MBE4000 on Friday that dropped his trailer in the yard. get 1.8 hours to do it. you learn to hover and not really touch anything
Old 06-21-2009, 07:55 PM

just would like to say thanx to tate and mike for the help with the injector swap. i learned a lot from them and picked up a couple good tricks.

i'm pretty happy with the performance improvement, it was what i was expecting.

i see i have a fluid spot forming on the road though. i'll give it a couple days and see if it keeps getting bigger. i'm hoping it is just the excess fuel from the top of the block finding it's way down - and not an actual leak . . .
Old 06-21-2009, 09:55 PM
The Guru

Just park in front of your neighbors place for the next few days.
Old 06-21-2009, 11:41 PM

If its still dripping now, I'd suspect a leak. Wash the head off good with a pressure washer, let it dry. Run it and you will see where the puddle starts. The head will be wet from the leaky injector and back, so where ever it starts getting wet is the culprit. Take the fitting off, pull the line back and wipe the sealing surfaces on the line and tube. If it still leaks, you may need to change o-rings on the tubes.

Did you guys get your waste gate fixed up?
Old 06-22-2009, 01:55 PM
The Guru

I think that the leaky injector is the one that Tate did for ya? You could have a bad oring on one of the connector tube. Nothing serious. Keep us in the loop. Let us know if you want the wastegate modified. I didn't get a close look at the wastegate, but thinking out loud, you could just tighten (increase the preload) on the wastegate actuvator rod. You can easily tighten it up to 37psi. It looked similar to my HX-40 wastegate actuvator. Installing a plug into the compressor housing is another cheap mod to crank up boost pressure or just put a bolt into the hose or just pinch the hose with a vise grips.
Old 06-22-2009, 02:59 PM

When I get together with Jason to install that steering bushing,I will plug that wastegate line and he will never know it...
Old 06-22-2009, 03:37 PM
The Guru

Good idea Dave, we have to get Jason truck power cranked up.At least better than a 12v truck.

Quick Reply: anyone versed in changing injectors want to help me out?