ABDTR #5 Alberta Chapter #5 Discussion

Anyone in Edmonton got a Smarty??

Search this Thread

Old 01-28-2009, 09:29 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Anyone in Edmonton got a Smarty??

I'm looking for someone who's got a smarty to re-flash my truck so the hi-idle works....
I'll throw in a case of beer or cash or both! for your trouble.
Thanks
Old 01-28-2009, 11:39 PM

The only problem with that, is that if a person flashes your truck, then they cant do their truck. It becomes vin locked.

Kevin
Old 01-28-2009, 11:44 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
bully dog will let you change vehicle options such as belt minder, foglights with highbeams, and high idle without a download, not sure if it will work with smarty softwae already in your truck though (or is there?). Or perhaps north amercan diesel can do it for ya? there a pretty good bunch of guys over there. Or worse case scenario a dealership can do it usually for free.
Old 01-29-2009, 02:45 AM

Originally Posted by morkable
The only problem with that, is that if a person flashes your truck, then they cant do their truck. It becomes vin locked.

Kevin

not exactly......the 2nd gen smarty enables the high idle feature when the OEM software is put back in when you remove the smarty. So when someone trys it out on a 2nd gen 24v they get automatic high idle whether they want it or not.
Old 01-29-2009, 07:26 AM

Originally Posted by 1-5-3-6-2-4
not exactly......the 2nd gen smarty enables the high idle feature when the OEM software is put back in when you remove the smarty. So when someone trys it out on a 2nd gen 24v they get automatic high idle whether they want it or not.
exactly ,I'm looking for the hi- idle feature. someone to load it then put my truck back to stock.
Old 01-29-2009, 02:51 PM

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts
Originally Posted by morkable

Kevin
Programmers do not upload the original program (flash or firmware) in the ECM to themselves before they reprogram the ECM.
The Smarty does not do this & I don't think any OBD II programmer can do this.

Each programmer has a version of the stock ECM program in it plus any settings or options embedded within that version of the stock program.
When you program a vehicle and return it back to stock, you have actually flashed the ECM with the "stock" program in the programmer plus any settings within that version. The original program in the ECM is gone.

This is one reason why so many program updates (eg. see Smarty webpage) are necessary.
When the original manufacturer (eg. Chrysler) updates the stock ECM program, so should the aftermarket programmer companies,
depending on what the change is. The programmer has to be able to recognize all versions of the stock ECM programming before it will work.
This is a common problem if one sets their truck back to stock, takes it to the OEM service shop & it gets programmed/flashed with the latest OEM program & then the programmer no longer works since it doesn't recognize the latest OEM program.

So if Nick programs his truck with a Smarty, eg. level 1, and then programs it back to stock, he actually will have the
latest Smarty "stock" program in his truck plus the hi-idle option activated within that Smarty "stock" program.
Since his truck is now truck back to "stock", the programmer is now unlocked.

Nick should confirm that the Smarty he does use has the latest Smarty program loaded in it from their website.

Sorry so long, I hope this helps.. ...Joe
Old 01-29-2009, 03:44 PM

I just learned all kinds of stuff here.. I really have to spend more time learning second gen stuff...

Kevin