ABDTR #5 Alberta Chapter #5 Discussion

Anybody got a 12 valve kicking around?

Search this Thread

Old 02-12-2010, 04:52 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Anybody got a 12 valve kicking around?

Bought a '98 3500 QC 4x4 for Dad yesterday as a non-runner. #5 cylinder has apparently got very very hot at some point in the not-so-distant past, so I'm on the hunt for a replacement motor. Anybody got one kicking around that they are looking to part with?

Thanks
Jason
Old 02-13-2010, 09:42 AM
The Guru

Jason, you have any luck find an engine? It might be easier to just to rebuild your engine. Talk to Harry (Peak), he seems to have a good source for CTD pistons, that are reasonably priced. How badly burnt are the cylinders?
Old 02-13-2010, 10:01 AM

At a quick glance, #5 is scored. How bad, I couldn't tell you-once I looked at what was left of the piston I quit scrutinizing. Exhaust valve on that cylinder got hot enough to actually tilt on its stem. Judging by the Fram filter and the condition of the coolant that came out, I suspect a lack of maintenance and substandard filters plugged the #5 piston cooling nozzle. The rest of the cylinders look OK, although compression seems low across the board (350-370# with #3 @ 270-could have been valve-related, I never looked real hard at that cylinder).

Might have one lined up from Tim @ Trochu-Dad was calling him yesterday afternoon after I left. The rebuilding idea intrigues me, but I think by the time I get the block machined and round up all the parts I'll be looking at some serious cash outlay. I'll check out that option though to see what it's going to cost. Thanks for the tip about Harry-I'll drop him a line.

Jason
Old 02-13-2010, 10:19 AM

might want to have the injector looked at, could have been leaking causing serious heat in that cyl.
Fram filter would cause damage as well, but I dont think just having a failed oil jet would have caused that much damage, I know they help cool, but to bend a valve I'd bet on a fuel issue.

most times parts and machining are way cheaper than a used "unknown " condition engine, especially if you do the assy work, I would not think a piston/rings/bearings and gaskets would be all that expensive, barring any cyl damage
Old 02-13-2010, 10:34 AM

I planned on pop-testing them to have a look-although that injector itself doesn't look out of sorts compared to the rest. I have a spare set of 215s sitting on the shelf that were taken out of either Tate's or Lil' Dog's motor that I was thinking of using anyways-less km on them than these ones.

I'm pretty sure that #5 is going to need an overbore with just a quick glance-it may turn out not to in which case the repair costs go down quite a bit. But if it needs machine work, I think it's going to get pretty pricey with factoring in 2 trips to the city with the block. I'm not sure I'd trust this head anymore with the heat that cylinder endured even if the seat was able to be saved-so there's another $500-$600 for an aftermarket loaded casting. I'll do some digging for pricing on the rebuild parts-but I have no idea where to take the block for machining or what it would be worth.

Jason
Old 02-13-2010, 03:23 PM

IT seams that a build cost about $3000 min with one burn cyl. If the heat didn't monkey up the valve seat to bad you should be able to have your head rebuilt.
Old 02-13-2010, 05:35 PM
The Guru

$3000 for a 12v, you would have mostly new/rebuilt in the motor. I have a 93 VE 12v block, rotating assembly (pistons/crank/rods), 12v VE head, that we can swap if you want. The block should be standard but needs one piston thats damage abit and have the cylinders honed, as its been sitting awhile.

Is the 12v a stick or auto? I was going to bug Moores here in town as they do lots of machining on 5.9L engines. They don't sell parts, but Harry would be the going guy for that.
Old 02-13-2010, 07:42 PM

I paid 400 for honing my 12v block and taking .006 off the deck to keep it nice and straight.

I paid around 1000 for a complete set of gaskets rings and bearings and a water pump.

Around 400 for pistons. So for way less than 3000 you should be very easily in business. Will be right in that area if it needs a new head.......
Old 02-14-2010, 09:53 AM

It's a stick Mike. That was the big attraction to the truck in the 1st place-it got a brand new transmission and clutch right before its demise to the tune of just under $3300. 6 new tires and some other work done to it along the way. It is still a good deal even with the dead engine-obviously not as good as it could have been though. I sent Peak an email last night to get some pricing on the parts, and I'm still digging through a few different leads on a complete motor.

I'm figuring for a rebuild, you would need pistons, rings, bearings, gaskets, oil pump, water pump + the cylinder head, right?
Old 02-14-2010, 10:36 AM
The Guru

Which pistons you going to go with? You going to splurg, on a set of sticks? Nice thing is that 12v stuff is cheaper than that new stuff. You want to do anything to the pump?
Old 02-14-2010, 11:11 AM

Whatever's cheapest is what I'll go with . I probably won't touch anything on it off the get-go just to sort everything out. After Dad gets used to the power difference between this one and his '92 maybe a mild plate or something. Can't get too wild as I'm going to be stuck with the stocker HX35 to handle my old exhaust brake. Got to get it running first I guess, then I can worry about the rest.

Jason
Old 02-14-2010, 10:08 PM

I have a set of rings I could sell ya cheap! Bought them for my ride then I decided to go with new pistons and was to lazy to send back the rings.
Old 02-16-2010, 08:27 AM

I'll let you know Swampy. Still weighing out what I'm going to do.

Jason
Old 02-16-2010, 10:05 AM

If you decide to junk the block could you let me know? I am looking for an empty block for doing mock up's.
Old 02-16-2010, 05:47 PM

Will do...

Quick Reply: Anybody got a 12 valve kicking around?