ABDTR #5 Alberta Chapter #5 Discussion

1500 or 2500 coil springs

Search this Thread

Old 09-25-2010, 11:26 AM
Pickin on the wrong admin...

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
1500 or 2500 coil springs

I could be asking for trouble here...But I want to finish the lowering of my truck...The back is done...now I need to do something with the front..I have two options:

Front coil springs from dodge 1500 4x4 quad cab,5.9 V8 or

Front coil springs from dodge 2500 4x4 quad cab,5.9 V8

Which set should I use 1500 or 2500 ?

Looking at one to two inch front end drop..

Found this info on the net: Found that my spring tag is missing..

A previous poster on Moparchat wrote that the following are the lbs load ratings
associated with the tags that Dodge puts on the Ram front springs:

Tag No. lbs
-------- ------

#018 1048#
#019 1140#
#020 1245#
#021 1360#
#022 1485#
#023 1621#
#024 1770#

#026 962#
#027 1057#
#035 1161#
#036 1275#
#037 1400#
#038 1537#
#039 1688#
#046 1854#
#047 2036#
#048 2236#

#076 1410#
#134 953#
Old 09-25-2010, 12:47 PM

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts
Dave,

It sounds like you don't want to trim the original springs, which is a good strategy so you can go back to stock if you want.

IMO the non-diesel front springs are going to be way too soft although they will likely compress & be lower with your Cummins on top of them.
Also, I don't think any shock will be able to dampen those soft springs at all.

If your stock springs are not too soft & the front of the truck is not currently constantly hitting the bumpstops, I would try to find the same springs &
cut them little by little to get the ride height you want.
You will likely need a front end alignment & you may be able to go so low while still being able to align it. Castor will be the issue.

If your current springs are too soft & you are constantly hitting the front bumpstops (this is my situation) then you need stiffer springs which you can trim to lower the ride height but the extra stiffness will keep it from constantly hitting the bumpstops.

OEM heavier front coil springs may not exist for your 3500 truck. Perhaps extended cab 4x4 diesel dually front springs may be heavier.
Or you may have to go aftermarket.

You will have to have maintain some clearance between the front axle & the bumpstops. You may even have to trim the bumpstops if necessary.

I think the truck will look awesome lowered, that's my style plus it will handle better. Get that Cummins (& the trucks center of gravity) lower!!
Old 09-25-2010, 02:26 PM

Thanks Joe...My current front coils don't hit the bumper stops...I got the tag off the 1500 4x4 quad cab...The tag number is #21...I have no idea what my orginal springs are rated at..
Old 09-25-2010, 03:54 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
National Spring out of California will wind you anything you want, just give them the specs you require and they are done.

We built a coil sprung Score legal Class 8 Ford truck a bunch of years ago and had National wind a set of springs for us, they were dead on for ride height, load, spring rate and every other spec we could come up with.

They only run about $300 or so brand new to your specs.

Worth a call or visit the website..... http://www.nationalsprings.com/

Deaver is another choice also....... http://www.deaverspring.com/

Both of these companies can make anything you want and they know what a couple of thou difference in wire size will do for spring rates and such, they don't hit and miss their work.

My buddies at Baja North in Kamloops BC are a distributor for Deaver. Call and ask for Craig and tell him Jeff sent you, Craig will look after you. http://www.bajanorth.ca/

Jeff

Last edited by Homestead; 09-25-2010 at 03:58 PM. Reason: more info
Old 09-25-2010, 05:41 PM

Dave why don't you go with the 1500 springs then add a set of those front airbags that fit inside of the coil?
Old 09-25-2010, 11:43 PM

Originally Posted by Homestead
National Spring out of California will wind you anything you want, just give them the specs you require and they are done.

We built a coil sprung Score legal Class 8 Ford truck a bunch of years ago and had National wind a set of springs for us, they were dead on for ride height, load, spring rate and every other spec we could come up with.

They only run about $300 or so brand new to your specs.

Worth a call or visit the website..... http://www.nationalsprings.com/

Deaver is another choice also....... http://www.deaverspring.com/

Both of these companies can make anything you want and they know what a couple of thou difference in wire size will do for spring rates and such, they don't hit and miss their work.

My buddies at Baja North in Kamloops BC are a distributor for Deaver. Call and ask for Craig and tell him Jeff sent you, Craig will look after you. http://www.bajanorth.ca/

Jeff
Thanks Jeff...I will give him a call...Got to get some ideas..what to do.
Old 09-25-2010, 11:44 PM

Originally Posted by 03 ant a hemi
Dave why don't you go with the 1500 springs then add a set of those front airbags that fit inside of the coil?
I know I seen coil air bags...I did a search on the net and can't find anything..
Old 09-26-2010, 03:27 AM

Originally Posted by 03 ant a hemi
Shocks go inside the airbag.
Old 09-26-2010, 06:57 AM

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts
Originally Posted by Diesel Dave2
Thanks Joe...My current front coils don't hit the bumper stops...I got the tag off the 1500 4x4 quad cab...The tag number is #21...I have no idea what my orginal springs are rated at..

If you're not currently hitting the front bumpstops, that tells me your front spring rate is fine & you could start trimming your existing front coils or identical replacement coils.

I usually do one side at a time but that won't really work on a solid front axle truck. Don't use a torch, cut them cold.
Those coils come out easily so it won't be too bad to cut a little off, re-install, take it for a test drive to settle the springs, check the height & see how the truck handles.
Take some ride height measurements before starting this process.

I've looked into ordering custom front coils but how would one know what to order? Spring rate, height, constant rate, variable rate, etc, etc??

I'm up early because I'm on-call this w/end & my truck comes apart again today. It's turned into my Mustang where it's apart more than together lately!
Old 09-26-2010, 10:22 AM

Originally Posted by StealthDiesel
If you're not currently hitting the front bumpstops, that tells me your front spring rate is fine & you could start trimming your existing front coils or identical replacement coils.

I usually do one side at a time but that won't really work on a solid front axle truck. Don't use a torch, cut them cold.
Those coils come out easily so it won't be too bad to cut a little off, re-install, take it for a test drive to settle the springs, check the height & see how the truck handles.
Take some ride height measurements before starting this process.

I've looked into ordering custom front coils but how would one know what to order? Spring rate, height, constant rate, variable rate, etc, etc??
The problem with cutting coils is you change the spring rate as you remove length or in this case length of coil.

Spring rate on a coil spring is determined by the diameter of the wire used for the coil as well as the length of the wire. If you cut off one coil, you have changed the length of the wire and thus your spring rate. Your spring rate and ride might be what you want right now but it will change (sometimes drastically) by cutting off part of a coil.

To get custom wound springs. you need to tell them your vehicle specs, ride height, weight, use, etc, etc. From there, they will wind you a new spring. If your spring rate is what you want right now but you want it lower, they may change the wire diameter or wind it tighter or whatever is necessary. Give them the answers and they will get your springs right.

Something to keep in mind, if you went and put a Carli or Kore performance suspension on your 2500 Cummins equipped truck, the kit comes with 2500 Hemi equipped front springs. Spring rates are different obviously but they work

I would suggest Dave just make a phone call to either Deaver or National and see what they have to say, nothing to lose other than a couple of bucks worth of long distance charges. On top of the info, a call might send you in a slightly different direction to boot.

Jeff
Old 09-26-2010, 12:02 PM

Wonder if they had different coil spring ratings from diesel 2500 to 3500..I would think not..
Old 09-26-2010, 05:19 PM

Stock ranger springs hold a cummins with no problems...
Old 09-27-2010, 09:06 AM

Don't your shocks go up through the springs on the 4x4's? Hence you can't put the air bags on the front like i have on mine.
Old 09-27-2010, 09:27 AM

Originally Posted by dvst8r
Stock ranger springs hold a cummins with no problems...
i think they had different spring rates. but not just from 2500 to 3500. apparently the trucks could be ordered with a package to be ready for plowing, which was put together with heavier springs up front. so, some trucks have heavy ones, and some have regular springs - regardless of 25/3500, but any truck with the cummins had heavier ones than a gasser would. i can't remember where i came across this info - but i found it a long time ago when researching/shopping for my leveling kit.

i would say going to a company that builds them to your specs is your BEST option. if you decide to just trim some stockers - keep me in mind, i have my stockers which i don't forsee any use for . . .
Old 09-27-2010, 10:12 AM

you could use the in spring bag on a 4x4 you just need to relocat the shock to the outside witch would make it ride better anyways

Quick Reply: 1500 or 2500 coil springs