ABDTR #5 Alberta Chapter #5 Discussion

12v headstuds

Search this Thread

Old 09-03-2009, 12:13 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Heads

So fellas what the deal with 12v studs. i hear you have to machine rockers. notch the valve covers.....all sorts of stuff.

well i need a set so. I guess I should find out the real deal. Are there no "bolt in" 12v head stud availiable? what gives.

now then moving on. we know the 24v is a swapper. with a little work. What about a CR head on the old 12v. I honestly haven't been upclose and personal with the CR engine much. what do i need to make a CR head buck on. for injectors? use moddified CR injectors? or does someone make a mechanical inj body for the Hole? is there cross tubes in the head?

Who has a useable CR head availiable?
Old 09-03-2009, 12:15 PM

I am guessing it will bolt right on, you can use a 12V gasket on all of them so a little bit of work the CR head should fit but I have never seen a 12V head so I couldn't say for sure. Do the 12V's have the same pistons as the VP44 engines? You will have to use VP44 style injectors that are modified to run with a PPump. But if the pistons are different I am guessing you will have to change the spray pattern as well?? For connecting the fuel lines you can use the stock CR connector tubes with custom fuel line which I believe Haisly makes. Or go with custom connector tubes that were made to fit VP44 lines. Then get custom fuel lines from the PPump that are made to connect to the VP44 style head which Haisly makes also. That way you can get different size lines and tubes like .093" or .120" were as the stock CR tubes are ~0.083". Although they probably make bigger CR tubes now I haven't looked into it so I don't know but either way would work.

From what I have heard a good ported 12V head will flow just as much as anything else. So for all the extra money and trouble I would also consider cutting off the intake and putting on zz custom fabrication, Hellmann performance intake or even custom build your own. That way you can get a good porting done while the intake is off. Also with the CR head I believe it will interfere with the PPump, as it doesn't have the hump in the intake to clear the pump. I wonder if we could get Steed to work on intakes after he finishes with the exhaust manifolds??

It would be sweet having a 12V with a CR head. When I was looking the heads were going for around $500 with a little work needed like a couple valves and what not. I did find this last night while I was looking for more body parts for my truck. I really don't know if they changed anything on the 6.7 heads though.
http://edmonton.kijiji.ca/c-cars-veh...AdIdZ152874522
Old 09-04-2009, 12:07 AM

nice. good point about the piston chambers as well. 12v injector are no where near TDC like the 24v and CR

so what I'm hearing is..........ISB injectors will fit and seal in a CR head. see I've never seen CR engine myself, never mind that I've ridden in 1 CR truck ever I think.

so that just about makes my mind up. that sounds like an easy swap. CR head it is. and cut the intake off. port and oring. why not..........I've never been a "take the easy road" guy in my projects. especially with this Albino Rhino.
Old 09-04-2009, 09:19 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Really! I not sure we've ever really noticed that about you Luke
Old 09-04-2009, 03:56 PM

If you are porting and polishing it anyway, I wouldn't turn down a good 24v head either. By the time they both get ported, they will look pretty similar, and you won't have to deal with custom crossover tubes and modifiying headgaskets.

The ARP's you have to mill the rocker pedestals, I think the A1's you still can notch the ribbing in the valve covers. Of course, that means nothing if you go 24v.

For money and reliability, I would stick with the 12v head. But since you are doing it to do something different, have at it.