ABDTR #5 Alberta Chapter #5 Discussion

07-09 recall notice ecm upgrade...

Search this Thread

Old 05-05-2010, 05:44 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
07-09 recall notice ecm upgrade...

is this to simply put in the uprate kit blocking software or is this a for real issue with heavy sooting of the turbo charger? Recall # J35

my truck has no smarty available so I'll probably take it in for this upgrade but what are the 07-08 guys doing?

J
Old 05-05-2010, 05:48 PM
Chapter President

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I didn't get the notice..

(Oh and Smarty works for your truck now )
Old 05-05-2010, 08:16 PM
Top's Younger Twin

Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts
X2

Nothing here about that update.
Old 05-05-2010, 08:17 PM

So would it make sense then to get the upgrade then being I was not aware the smarty was out for my truck get that or just get the smarty...I am only at 12500 km I guess if something was bad from the start it would have went already

J
Old 05-06-2010, 12:36 AM
Chapter President

Version 21 of MADS update includes the J35 recall as far as I know. Shouldn't affect the purpose... Come to the dark side!! BLACKTEC!!!
Old 05-06-2010, 09:03 AM

ok I will probably cross soon then a couple questions to you LD being I know the answer won't be jaded like many others might be, just the facts

1. mpg increase, with and without the delete?
2. loudness increase both incab and outside after the deletes
3. I have to get the ME version right Or no
4. being I am out of the loop where is the place to buy peak? I even see BD sells it and it doesn't have bd stickers all over it like they made it....things have changed alot in a year

J
Old 05-06-2010, 10:51 AM
Top's Younger Twin

Originally Posted by greenworks
ok I will probably cross soon then a couple questions to you LD being I know the answer won't be jaded like many others might be, just the facts

1. mpg increase, with and without the delete?
2. loudness increase both incab and outside after the deletes
3. I have to get the ME version right Or no
4. being I am out of the loop where is the place to buy peak? I even see BD sells it and it doesn't have bd stickers all over it like they made it....things have changed alot in a year

J
I'd answer that for ya but well you asked for LD to answer and since I am only from SK, I will leave it to him.
Whoops, I guess I kinda answered...42% increase in fuel mileage from stock to altered on my 07.5 on the highway helped me decide. No jade, just fact. J/K
I went with a straight thru 46" muffler, a bit more rumble at the tail pipe but sounded real nice. In cab...no change. ME if you do the surgery.
I think you can purchase right here on the site.

Hey J...BlackTec....SWEET!
Old 05-06-2010, 11:04 AM

Scotty your info is fine with me as well anyone I have met personally I trust I just get frustrated with all the guys on this site that make ridicouls claims.
Plus even with me at 6'1" 210lbs I wouldn't have the ***** to call your bluff if you said you get 50 mpg....
Old 05-06-2010, 11:49 AM
Chapter President

You guys are funny!

MPG.. In town I see the most increase. The winter I first got the truck, my mileage was 10.4 MPGUS, this last winter with the deletes it was around 14 mpgUS.. Not great still, but for cold weather, winter diesel and idle for warmup that was pretty decent. Highway driving was not as large a change, but on most trips back and forth to the City(s) I usually calculate close to 18 mpg with the deletes. Before I could get that if it didn't regen between fills, but it was usually 1 or 2 regens per tank on the highway and that puts the mileage back down to 15.5-16 mpgUS.

With just the Smarty without ME, the mileage gain was about 0.5-1 mpg in town as it disables the EGR, saving soot load to the DPF. Highway wasn't really much of a change.

The biggest thing for me is getting rid of the soot generator, EGR. When the truck goes through its purge of the NOX absorber with huge EGR flow and extra fuel, the soot just cakes up the system. When I took the DPF/Cat off the inside of the pipe before them was just caked in soot. Now after removing them the pipe is just lightly sooted. If I drive through puddles/water, it rinses the tip of the pipe clean and it looks OEM.

Cost... $685 for ME, $280 for the pipe. Future, about $100 for the EGR cooler delete. Both Marc and I are running the same setup.
Old 05-06-2010, 03:32 PM

Thanks both of you guys.

Canada wise where is a good spot to buy both the delete and the smarty. Peak? piers? is that shop in red deer where we dyno'd cheap and decent?
I hate dealing with the border on anything.

speaking of Marc did he ever get back to you on the bug screen? That was a sweet set up

Last edited by greenworks; 05-06-2010 at 03:34 PM. Reason: forgot to add some info
Old 05-06-2010, 10:56 PM
Chapter President

I was talking about the bug screen with Marc, should be in the works.

I got my smarty right from Bob Wagner.. But Peak would work. I got the pipe at CCV only for convenience at the time since they were made in Blackfalds anyway by Flo-Pro. The DTR store should be able to get it done..
Old 05-06-2010, 11:31 PM
Top's Younger Twin

Piers is well, moving. To his dream home. I talked to him last week and he was in the midst of getting packed up and moving.

Harry can hook you up.

I know what you mean about the 'claims'. I got 50 mpg once on a down hill in the mtns after I reset the overhead.

I removed my egr and the cooler is next. I am learning that deleting the egr and adding timing and/or rail pressure can increase the cylinder temps quite a bit. Not sure if theres a way for us to monitor actual cylinder temps but for me it may make sense to add a methonal system for peace of mind.

BlackTec its the BOMB
Old 05-06-2010, 11:32 PM
Top's Younger Twin

Originally Posted by Lil Dog
I was talking about the bug screen with Marc, should be in the works.

I got my smarty right from Bob Wagner.. But Peak would work. I got the pipe at CCV only for convenience at the time since they were made in Blackfalds anyway by Flo-Pro. The DTR store should be able to get it done..
Bug screen? Do tell.
Old 05-06-2010, 11:53 PM
Chapter President

MDKRam had his father-in-law fab up a heavy duty bug screen from a template off his Mopar cold front. Snap clips etc for the under the hood screen. Industrial bug screen too, woven not that pressed fiberglass junk. He was going to see what the cost would be to run a couple. Interested?
Old 05-07-2010, 12:01 AM
Chapter President

As far as EGR delete causing problems with temperatures.. mmmm, having a hard time with that piece of info. With pilot injection and pulse width modulation I don't see how cylinder pressures (causing temperature increase) can get high enough to be an issue under load or not. The combustion process produces heat but it proportionate to pressure. If pressure is low, so is temperatures unless the fuel its way rich (smoke). So if my little 6.7 is smokeless, and filterless and EGT's never crest 1250 anymore, I don't see an issue IMHO. Maybe I am wrong.

And if I read correctly, the EGR doesn't cycle under engine load only at idle or low engine speed. So that wouldn't help on the highway anyway. I dunno..

Quick Reply: 07-09 recall notice ecm upgrade...