4th Gen Ram -Non Drivetrain- 2010 and Up Talk about the 2010 and up Dodge Ram here. PLEASE, NO ENGINE OR DRIVETRAIN DISCUSSION!.

First day at 0 degrees

Search this Thread

Old 11-21-2010, 11:33 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
First day at 0 degrees

It got down to zero last night and tried to start the truck in the driveway and wouldnt fire. Put the charger on it and batteries are just about dead. Two days in the drive i the cold and it wont start. Not impressed. Will charge the batteries and see what happens...Thank goodness dont have to go to work today...
Old 11-21-2010, 12:05 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
I would say that either you have a pair of defective batteries or something was left on that drained them. Either way not starting in 0* weather is not common for these trucks.
Old 11-21-2010, 01:21 PM

If you are talking 0ºF then it Should start in the cold. If you are near a 120V plug then I suggest to plug it in. I do mine here in Canada at anything below 32ºF. Good for the vehicle - especially the diesel pump and injection system. I run battery warmers as well. I know it sounds like a PITA but all this extra effort pays off. But I do agree with the other poster that it sounds like you have a battery draw down happening.
Old 11-21-2010, 02:48 PM

Yeah the grid heater helps, but wont effect drained or dead batteries.

The 3rd gen's are supposed to even need a grid heater until below 0*.

I too plug mine in below 32* when I will be driving the truck, it doesn't need help starting but the quicker cab heat is nice.
Old 11-21-2010, 07:45 PM

Mines been doing fine at -24C (-10F). And I gotta say that I like how the seat heaters come on while it's autostarted (the heated steering is kinda nice too even though I didn't think I'd ever use it!)
Old 11-22-2010, 06:54 AM

Trucks Starting in Cold

Just went out and started my truck. -38C here this morning with the wind
(-36F) and the truck started no problem. Didnt realize that the plug on the wall outside had tripped so even though i plugged it in yesterday it didnt do any good. Amazed that it actually started ( and happy too as I have to go to work) and really happy that I have heated seats and steering wheel - gonna come in handy this morning
Old 11-22-2010, 07:29 AM
The Guru

Best fix for a diesel in the winter is the espar. The engine is nice and warm.
http://espar.com/
Old 11-22-2010, 07:43 AM

Sometimes on cold morning starts I will cycle the grid heater two or three times before cranking.
Old 11-22-2010, 07:49 AM
The Guru

Originally Posted by EME 411
Sometimes on cold morning starts I will cycle the grid heater two or three times before cranking.
You need really good batteries to do that. My first key cycle on my 02 just about kills my batteries. I'm going to put in some fresh group 31 batteries into that truck.

I buy new batteries every second year.
Old 11-22-2010, 08:51 AM

Originally Posted by SknirB
Just went out and started my truck. -38C here this morning with the wind (-36F)
Don't forget your truck doesn't care if its calm or blowin 100 out. Windchill won't effect it at all.
Old 11-22-2010, 09:59 PM

Windchill

Originally Posted by AH64ID
Don't forget your truck doesn't care if its calm or blowin 100 out. Windchill won't effect it at all.
True....the outside temp in the truck was only at -32...good day to be a penguin.
Old 11-22-2010, 10:24 PM

Yeah, thats cold any way you slice it.
Old 11-30-2010, 08:34 PM

The truck wouldnt start again after it had sat for about a day and a half. Had to charge the batteries and then it started fine. Took it to the local dealer and they looked it over but couldn't find anything. They tested the batteries and they were in good condition. Took it to the dealer that I bought it from and hopefully they are able to find something. It doesn't really matter if it is cold or not just that is has been sitting...I do like when the heated seat is on and the steering wheel. Makes the cold morning drive to work not as bad and the drive home...
Old 12-01-2010, 12:03 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
if the truck sat onthe dealer's lot for months before you got it I would say there's a fair chance they are shot. How many times have you seen sales people jump starting cars? My 09 Subaru had to get a battery replaced under warranty after 6 months on the lot and after working fine the first 3 months I had it...
Old 12-01-2010, 02:09 AM

Originally Posted by Beast2B
if the truck sat onthe dealer's lot for months before you got it I would say there's a fair chance they are shot. How many times have you seen sales people jump starting cars? My 09 Subaru had to get a battery replaced under warranty after 6 months on the lot and after working fine the first 3 months I had it...
I'm inclined to agree with beast2b - I'd have an unbiased shop check the batt's with a true load test - not just throwing a voltmeter on them to see that they are charged up. I bought a new vehicle once that had an issue where the batteries were dead when I took delivery - they never were right and eventually died a premature death. I should've insisted they replace them at delivery - too many time someone does something to kill them on a lot, but hey, they can be charged up! Problem is, no-maintenance batteries can't always withstand the full discharges that the old batt's could. It'll be interesting to hear, though, what they find. Best of luck!

Quick Reply: First day at 0 degrees