4th Gen Ram -Non Drivetrain- 2010 and Up Talk about the 2010 and up Dodge Ram here. PLEASE, NO ENGINE OR DRIVETRAIN DISCUSSION!.

Evaluating Future Trucks not yet released to the public.

Search this Thread

Old 08-22-2011, 07:36 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
ZT,

So if I understand you correctly (I can be a little thick sometimes), the "big" thing you couldn't talk about was the V8 Cummins powerplant? Not trying to belittle, just clarifying.
Old 08-22-2011, 07:38 PM

By the way, before anyone gets too comfy with the concept of a Cummins V8, you only feel comfy in Cummins V8 design potential if you've never been around a Cummins 555 "Triple Nickel". Granted, it's thirty five or forty year old history, but still not their proudest moment.
Old 08-22-2011, 08:06 PM

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by ZeroTolerance
No, the first link talks about a V8 in a HD and the third link talks about the V8 in 2500 and 3500's. I saw one (in person) in a 2500 Laramie not to long ago. No one is saying they will for sure take a step in this direction, BUT I do know they are heavily considering the V8 in the HD trucks. The window sticker read, "Cummins 6.7L V8 400HP 800ft. lbs torque.

I am curious as to why most of you are upset about this (If it ever does happen)? The only thing changing is the block configuration yet you are getting more HP out of the engine compared to the I-6 currently??? It's still a Cummins.
Because of ease of maintenance, # of wear items and cost of maintenance. An I-6 is less costly. Been down this road with I6 to a V6 in Nissan. They have just now got the cost of maintenance down to where an I6 was and it took from 1984 to around 2003 for that to happen. This engine config there is no way to work on it without major issues. Plus, I remember the triple nickle V8 from years ago also and heard many stories. They can offer it, but I ain't buying it....LOL

What they need to work on is an 8-speed dual clutch auto tranny and get the fuel mileage up with the same power. A stock 350hp 800tq is plenty off the factory line. If you want more, turn it up....LOL
Old 08-25-2011, 12:24 PM

Unfortunately, I do not have the answers to those questions. :/
I am in agreeance with you guys. Why would they switch? Now like I said, this is just what I saw and might never be seen by the general public.
One reason they might be thinking about a V8 is the cubic inch displacement ot the 6 and the 8 are the same and the 8 has two more cylinders to produce more torque and horse power with the same fuel economy.
Old 08-25-2011, 01:12 PM

What they need to work on is an 8-speed dual clutch auto tranny and get the fuel mileage up with the same power. A stock 350hp 800tq is plenty off the factory line. If you want more, turn it up....LOL
__________________I agree if they are going to stay with the 6 this is the way to go. The ZF 8 speed trans mission won't be available in large numbers until late 2012 when the production facilities are finished so Chrysler can produce them under license from ZF. From what I have read about these transmissions is that they can be built to live in a diesel environment. I'm sure Ram makes out like a fat rat on the profit side on the 6 and doesn't want to invest into new technology unless the have to.
Old 08-25-2011, 07:33 PM

Originally Posted by bigun426
One reason they might be thinking about a V8 is the cubic inch displacement ot the 6 and the 8 are the same and the 8 has two more cylinders to produce more torque and horse power with the same fuel economy.
Surely you can't be serious.
Old 08-25-2011, 08:02 PM
Old Mopar Aficionado Extraordinaire

Originally Posted by Wobblin-Goblin
Yep. There are lots of people like myself that consider a Dodge ONLY because of the Cummins I-6. It's the one thing that makes it different and worthwhile when shopping for pickups.

If the I-6 goes away, expect Dodge HD trucks to follow.
Right now, My ideal truck would be a Cummins straight 6 in a Ford with an Allison transmission.

Originally Posted by Tobin
So shed some light, if you want a I6 Cummins should you get one now?

If they are going to a V8, I would much rather just go the Ford route since I like the body and interior better, plus the locking hubs and many other features. The I6 Cummins is the only thing that would have me going for a new Ram.

Tobin
It will probably be a while before they go to V8's in the HD's.

Originally Posted by Spooler
Those blogs are talking about the V8 for the 1500 trucks everyone wants. And what would I buy, Nothing!!!!!! I would keep what I have as long as I need a HD truck.
The V8 was the original plan just for the 1500. It's supposed to be simple and lighter than previous V8's Coming from Cummins, I can bet it's simple engineering, unlike the Ford 6.7. It's supposed to be 25 MPG in the 1500.

Originally Posted by Rednecktastic
Well the only reason I bought the dodge is because the simple 6 cyl. If I wanted some fancy toes BS I'd buy a Ford or Chevy.
Stop swearing

No, the first link talks about a V8 in a HD and the third link talks about the V8 in 2500 and 3500's. I saw one (in person) in a 2500 Laramie not to long ago. No one is saying they will for sure take a step in this direction, BUT I do know they are heavily considering the V8 in the HD trucks. The window sticker read, "Cummins 6.7L V8 400HP 800ft. lbs torque.
Probably a prototype

Originally Posted by bigun426
You are misinformed. The 6.7 can easily deliver 500 HP with minimal mods. But there is still nothing as durable as an in line 4 or 6.

Back in the 1st gen days, I met a Cummins rep traveling with the Dodge Rep. He said that Cummins had a 4 Cylinder which would blow away the 6. He followed that with it is marketing and appeal to truck buyers. I am sure they want a V8 because the other manufacturers have a V8 and we still have a 6 Cylinder. Little do the marketeers know, they already have the best of the best.