4th Gen Ram -Non Drivetrain- 2010 and Up Talk about the 2010 and up Dodge Ram here. PLEASE, NO ENGINE OR DRIVETRAIN DISCUSSION!.

Electrical Issues Continue

Search this Thread

Old 07-24-2016, 06:39 PM

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
Electrical Issues Continue

Hey All,

Well, I am still having problems with the truck and no start conditions. Friday was the worst that I have seen it, just as I was about to leave work, in about 110 deg heat with a 35 mile drive ahead. Truck started just fine, but then the cluster went haywire, indicating a communication problem on the bus. So, I shut the truck off to check/clear the codes as I have done a few dozen times in the past and nothing. No communication. I've ran into this problem before, so I cycled the key quite a few times and eventually got everything back and the truck started. As soon as I got on the road, things went south again, but then the A/C stopped working for about half the drive home.

Typical codes: U0001, U0121, U0141

I pulled the ECM to check the contacts, they weren't brightly colored copper so cleaned up every single pin at a painstakingly slow pace, put it back together, and disconnected/cleaned every ground I could find, reconnected. That alone seemed to clean up some issues such as the side mirror motors were running slow and would cause static in the radio (not anymore).

Speed up to today, same issue and truck wouldn't start. Since I almost always get those same codes and the last few times just U0001 and U0121 (ABS) I decided to disconnect the ABS. From that alone I was able to get the truck to start.

Other problems I've been having include issues with the ITBM (factory brake controller) losing it's nuts and bolts. Come to find out, the ABS and ITBM are tied to together.

I am about to fire off and buy a remanufactured TIPM from CARDONE (through CARID), but after disconnecting the ABS and was then able to start the truck, it kind of makes me wonder if I should look into replacing the ABS?

Thoughts? Last few times that I've been trying to troubleshoot this issue I've been hearing some strange electrical sound near the ABS module, but it's hard to pin point it.

I am interested in hearing y'alls thoughts on this. All these years I've been blaming the TIPM, but maybe it's been the ABS malfunctioning?
Old 07-25-2016, 06:10 AM
Just a plain ole guy

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
I have a Dodge van I drive at work. In the past it has done this. Turned out to be the factory didn't build the harness for inside the steering column long enough and the connectors in there we're barely snapped together. In this case, there was a recall and a foot long extension provided for a fix. It wouldn't hurt to see if you can find any connectors in your steering column not snapped together good.
Old 07-25-2016, 08:40 PM

Everything looks tight in there. When I get a chance this weekend, I'll take a more in depth look. Before calling it quits last night (replaced the coolant), I took another look at the ABS module and noticed there may have been some chafing on the wires right where the wires enter the shroud on the connector.
Old 07-28-2016, 01:14 AM

Ended up ordering a remanufactured TIPM from carid.com. Truck wouldn't start leaving work yesterday (worked great today), so I disconnected the ABS module like I did this past weekend and nothing. After a few minutes it started. So hopefully this will fix it.

I'll keep this page updated as necessary. Not sure when the TIPM will arrive.