4th Gen Ram -Non Drivetrain- 2010 and Up Talk about the 2010 and up Dodge Ram here. PLEASE, NO ENGINE OR DRIVETRAIN DISCUSSION!.

dealer installed load range c tires on 3500

Search this Thread

Old 06-16-2014, 09:09 AM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
dealer installed load range c tires on 3500

I bought a new truck from the dealer ship in my home town. When I made the deal on the truck I told them I wanted bfg tires installed on the truck instead of the factory firestone tires. No problem they installed the tires I just put on new after market rims on the truck and noticed they install load range c tires instead of load range e. I have a 36 foot sprinter camper that I Tow and a 600 liter slip tank on the truck camper weights 11 500 lbs loaded with all my gear. They are trying to tell me it wont matter what I pull with the truck or how much weight I have loaded on the truck. the trailer is a bumper hitch with stabilizer hitch. The truck from factory had 10 ply tires on it so in my way of thinking it should of had 10 ply tires put back on it. Am I wrong or what. I think with these tires on the truck they are not rated enough to pull my camper and all my stuff. I would just like to hear from anybody what they think Thanks for your time Garry
Old 06-16-2014, 09:24 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
I'm surprised the dealer would do such a stupid thing, since they are liable. Make them install E rated tires.
Old 06-16-2014, 09:35 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
If your province requires annual DOT safety inspections, the tires must match or exceed the ratings on the truck's door jamb or you will be purchasing new tires to pass. Furthermore, If you are at fault in an accident and the under-rated tires are discovered, there will be at least one more ticket coming your way and the insurance company may not pay out on the claim. C rated tires are not rated for the loads that our trucks are capable of carrying. I wouldn't risk it. I once had one of our 01.5 CTD company trucks return from a body shop with new C rated tires on it. I caught this as soon as it was rolled off the rollback. I contacted the body shop and sent it back on a flatbed, requesting they install E rated Michelin tires on it as they are originally equipped. The body shop owner was very apologetic and agreed with my concerns regarding the C rated tires. Dodge would have specked C rated tires on these trucks if they could to save a few sheckles, however that is not possible.
Old 06-16-2014, 02:31 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I have to assume that BFG makes an E rated tire. Maybe the aftermarket rims you put on limited the BFG's that would fit?

I have to ask though, why didn't you just keep the stock tires? Is it because they don't fit the new rims? Since you tow heavy, are your aftermarket rims hub centric or lug centric?
Old 06-16-2014, 03:34 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I would not tow anything with C rated tires, on that truck they are crap, I would head back to that dealer right away, it says in my owners manual E rated, and after he changed out the tires I would never go there again, they sure dont know what they are doing. cheers
Old 06-16-2014, 09:00 PM

went back to the dealership and all I got was a big story that they did not know that the truck had load range e tires from the factory. I told them to go look at any 3500 0r 2500 on the lot and show me a truck that had load range c tires on it. Surprise they could not find one. I am going back to see them tomorrow I was so mad at that sales manager I had to leave. And they would not let me talk to the boss. This is not over yet. There last offer was pay them 600 dollars for the load range e tires but I could keep the load range c tires and sell them I said no. Will keep you posted as to how this turns out.
Old 06-16-2014, 09:22 PM

Received 39 Likes on 31 Posts
Call Chrysler.
Old 06-16-2014, 11:00 PM

I wouldn't run C rated tires on a truck, period.

The wet weight of the truck by itself requires D rated at a minimum, and towing ANYTHING would require E rated.

BFG's do come in D and E rated, you just need to watch the sidewalls.

Someone's trying to pull a fast one and if it were me, I would turn them in to your province's inspection authorities and let them sort it out. I have a feeling you're not the first person they've done this to.

-Kris
Old 06-18-2014, 07:52 AM

went back to dealer they are going to change the tires to load range e. But get this the sales manager told me that they never want to see me or my truck in the shop again. I told him that would be not very easy to do since there is still 3 years warranty left on the truck. He said take it to a different dealer. I have had it will these idiots no more mister nice guy I am phoning Chryslers head office and file a complaint
Old 06-18-2014, 08:41 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Wow the sales mgr really said that? Yeah definitely file a complaint. I'd love to know what they do.
Old 06-18-2014, 01:21 PM

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Man, just seems like anymore 90% of the dealers give the other 10% a bad reputation.
Old 06-18-2014, 02:19 PM

Originally Posted by SOhappy
Man, just seems like anymore 90% of the dealers give the other 10% a bad reputation.
In my experience, that has been the case for a long time.
Most are crooks.
Glad the OP at least got the right tires.
Old 06-18-2014, 02:35 PM

Originally Posted by jadocs
Wow the sales mgr really said that? Yeah definitely file a complaint. I'd love to know what they do.
Complaints dont help IMO.

I was denied Lemon Law through complete lies and the arbitrator was obviously not an arbitraitor. Calls to Chrysler went un answered.
Brand new, less than 5000mi Ram locked up 3 rear differentials. Was not Lemon Law because "I towed in excess of the mfg reccomendations." Based on notes from the first 2 dealers that it got dragged into on a wrecker, that saw the trailer with the truck. 2nd wrecker pulled the truck and trailer in together. Even with proof of ownership, pictures and gvw of the trailer in question (which was significantly under the tow rating of the truck......and the trailer was actually empty when the breakdowns happened both times!)

I was sold a new truck that the dealer then refused to deliver until I paid more than the original agreement and sales invoice said. Again, complaints got me nowhere.
It's not that I hate Chrysler, all mfgs are crooks.

Warranty denied on a 1 year old 40k mi F150 with a 60k powertrain warranty.
Trans grenaded and no warranty because I had installed overload springs on it! That simple observation was enough to determine that the truck ahd been "abused" and used to tow/haul more than it's reccomended rating!

Only 3 brand new personal vehicles that have been in my posession (or almost in one case, haha) and all 3 I got hosed by the dealer/mfg.
Old 06-19-2014, 07:10 PM

Well I went back to the dealer today to see what they were going to do. I even kept my cool when they said that I had to give some money because I have driven the truck for a while with the load range c tires on it. Well I said I was not going to give them a dime because they screwed up and it was not my problem that I drove the truck and did not notice the wrong tires on it. I told them that I wanted new tires the right load range installed balanced at no cast to me at all. they said no so okay time to call Chrysler Canada and tell them what was going on and how I was treated at the dealer ship and what was said and that they was also a big safety concern about pulling my trailer with those tires on the truck. To make a long story short they installed the new tires today no cost every thing is good. I will still not bring my truck back there for warranty work will go to another dealer don't care if I have to drive a little farther
Old 06-25-2014, 10:12 PM

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
Wow...that it is hard to believe a new car (or truck) dealer could know so little about his own product. Or about going to court for a liability suit.That error could have gone unnoticed by some customers and resulted in a serious accident or worse. They must be staffed at the top by some very arrogant and dumb people.

Quick Reply: dealer installed load range c tires on 3500