4th Gen Ram -Non Drivetrain- 2010 and Up Talk about the 2010 and up Dodge Ram here. PLEASE, NO ENGINE OR DRIVETRAIN DISCUSSION!.

Buying: 4th Generation Versus 3rd Generation

Search this Thread

Old 02-02-2010, 06:39 PM

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Several times I wish I had a 4x4...... Next truck will be one...
Old 02-02-2010, 07:43 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I never hear of anybody regretting getting a 4x4. But I hear the opposite quite often. Same with long beds/short beds.....except for megacabs.

Old 02-03-2010, 07:12 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My next truck will be a 4wd. My 2wd gets stuck very easily and the few times I've needed 4wd would be worth it to me
Old 02-05-2010, 11:39 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2010 3500 mega laramie 4x4 rides great. comfortable, smooth, powerfull and quiet. had a 2005 2500,a world of a difference, best decision i ever made. if your looking for great deals i had mine shipped from texas, the dealership was tomball dodge, they are around the san antonio area. my salesman was jeremy, he was great, got me everything i needed for the price i needed. tell him jeremy from new jersey told you to call "we happen to have the same name"
Old 03-30-2010, 04:35 PM

Paralysis by analysis continues, however I did take the whole family to test drive a 2010 Crew Cab / Short Bed 4x4 with an auto (kids in car seats and all). The nearest manual transmission truck is 50 miles away. We liked the crew cab and believe it could serve our needs. I'm also thinking 4x4 is the way to go...

I keep thinking I would rather have the Mega cab. I have no interest in a long bed, so why not get the extra interior room? Then again the might-as-wells get me to a $50K Laramie truck fast.

Interesting side note, the Ram Truck corporate crew was at the dealer. They gave us t-shirts, then as I was leaving the salesman ran out and gave me a iPod shuffle... I was impressed, that's not your average give-away.
Old 03-31-2010, 01:29 AM

Glad you got a chance to drive the new one. I bought my 2010 2500 Ram a few weeks ago. It is a 4x4, Crew Cab, with the 8ft bed. The first miles put on it were me driving it from Texas (where I bought it) straight out to Las Vegas where I am currently living. I had no complaints. It was a long, 20hr, but comfortable drive and the truck did great. The fuel economy was not as good as I was hoping, but hopefully that will improve as the engine breaks in...either that or I start looking at work arounds. Aside from that; however, I have no complaints. The crew cab has more than enough room in the back for my kids, my wife loves the room in the front, ample, ample, ample storage, and the long bed gives me all the room I need for hauling gear. I am very happy with my purchase and think you would be as well. Good luck
Old 04-20-2010, 12:57 PM

This thread is now a diary of our shopping process... I want to keep a record of my thoughts. We made the drive to the nearest dealership with manual transmission equipped 2500/3500s Saturday. The notes:

We wanted to determine which trim level we like (between ST & SLT, we know we'd love a Laramie): Interestingly enough my wife was fine with an ST, in fact she preferred the ST door panels compared to the 2 tone on an SLT. We also like the vinyl floor a lot (easy maintenance with kids).

The first test drive was a crew cab dually SLT 4x4 3500. We noticed right away the ride was much more firm compared to the 2500 we'd driven. Also I discovered the 6 speed manual is nothing like a car transmission, there is a learning curve to achieving smooth operation. I was better by the end.

We then test drove a crew cab SLT 4x4 2500. The ride was remarkably smoother. On this test drive I convinced my wife to drive... she had a hard time shifting - specifically finding the right gear. She stalled the truck crossing a divided highway. Needless to say she was not happy and was questioning my desire for a manual transmission truck...

The answer is manual transmission is a deal breaker. We have a large amount of GM card points built up, but I'm not buying GM because there is no manual transmission available. I'd rather buy nothing than buy an automatic vehicle.

Then we sat in a 3rd generation Mega cab. We wanted to compare the interiors. Although I thought my wife would prefer a new truck she thought the interiors were comparable. It is very nice that you can recline the rear seats in a Mega. The leg room is increased somewhat but most of the extra room is behind the seats. I wish we could have driven that truck but we were running out of time. I've read some owners say the 4th generation trucks have less wind noise compared to a 3rd generation.

There is a 3rd generation near me that is a good candidate, and it would be a solid third less cost compared to new... but I wonder about maintenance costs... (it appears to have been used to tow a horse trailer) I wish you could still get a 2010 base model Mega, but now it's only SLT or above.
Old 05-07-2010, 04:30 PM

Order placed 04/30/10
Current Status D - 1
VON # issued

The specs:
2010 2500 Mega 4x4
2EG Manual Transmission
AFZ Big Horn
M9 Premium Bench Seat
RSP Uconnect
APA Monotone Paint Brilliant Black Crystal Pearlcoat
Old 05-07-2010, 04:42 PM

Originally Posted by chree
Order placed 04/30/10
Current Status D - 1
VON # issued

The specs:
2010 2500 Mega 4x4
2EG Manual Transmission
AFZ Big Horn
M9 Premium Bench Seat
RSP Uconnect
I'm chuckling when I see "Black" - so many guys on this forum have black trucks yet they are SO hard to keep clean. Every black truck I've bought I later regretted because they never looked that good two hours after I washed them... Silver or derivatives are for me now - too lazy to be cleaning the things all the time. Congrats on the order though - I think you'll be more'n happy!
Old 05-08-2010, 10:17 PM
DJM

Where on the east coast ? I just ordered mine in NJ
Old 05-09-2010, 07:04 PM

Originally Posted by DJM
Where on the east coast ? I just ordered mine in NJ
Marietta, Georgia. What day did you order your truck?
Old 05-09-2010, 07:30 PM
DJM

I am one day ahead of you 4/29/2010 they told me anywhere from 6 - 12 weeks. I'll keep you posted as I get additional information.
Old 05-12-2010, 12:04 PM

Originally Posted by chree
Order placed 04/30/10
Current Status D - 1
VON # issued

The specs:
2010 2500 Mega 4x4
2EG Manual Transmission
AFZ Big Horn
M9 Premium Bench Seat
RSP Uconnect
Mind divulging how much off MSRP you were able to purchase the truck for? Incentives actually went up to $1500 beginning of May, but you should be eligible for those since your truck is ordered and not received yet.

Sounds like a nice truck!
Old 05-12-2010, 12:12 PM
DJM

I am paying invoice, minus whatever incentives there are between now and delivery. I have the $1500 rebate for sure, so I am at invoice -1500. I was told if there are any other incentives announced I can have them also.

The only "incentive" the dealer said they cannot lock in is an interest rate until 5 days before delivery of the truck.

Even at invoice the dealer gets $1155 hold back on my truck, so he is still making a nice profit.
Old 05-12-2010, 12:14 PM

Originally Posted by gts95
Mind divulging how much off MSRP you were able to purchase the truck for? Incentives actually went up to $1500 beginning of May, but you should be eligible for those since your truck is ordered and not received yet.

Sounds like a nice truck!
Thanks! I ordered at $1250 below invoice. If I take delivery with the current incentives I'll be at $7250 below MSRP.

Quick Reply: Buying: 4th Generation Versus 3rd Generation