4th Gen Ram -Non Drivetrain- 2010 and Up Talk about the 2010 and up Dodge Ram here. PLEASE, NO ENGINE OR DRIVETRAIN DISCUSSION!.

Blinker problems with trailer

Search this Thread

Old 09-23-2010, 11:50 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Blinker problems with trailer

i have a 2004 Ram and my truck blinkers work fine but my 7 pin connecter does not give me a right turn signal or stop light, all the other lights work fine. I cannot find a fuse for trailer blinkers or stop in the truck fuse box. are there other fuses or a control module someplace else, i checked the wiring harness and it seems fine. Any ideas before I have to sacrifice the truck to the dealer?
Old 09-23-2010, 12:21 PM

on my 97 there is a fuse box under the hood, drivers side. on the newer trucks, the ecm should be here. there are some fuses here as well. though if u have power to the trailer already the problem is probably not on the truck.

check your ground(s), check ur distribustion box on the trailer, and check your plug.
make sure your plug is sitting properly in its receptical, if it is loose or the pins arent touching it could explain why you only have partial lighting. this area has to be clean and free of dirt and gravel.

if there is a loose wire or a bad connection it could be your problem. i think your left and right blinkers are red and green respectivly. make sure they are in the correct spot on the plug, that they are securely fastened. if it is an older trailer the lights may ground though the skin. if this is the case then all u have to do is clean up the corrosion.
Old 09-23-2010, 01:20 PM
With age comes the cage

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
You positive about the no fuse in the box? my 05 has a separate fuse for the trailer connections? Look in your owners manual or on the fuse box cover itself..
Old 09-24-2010, 12:10 AM

I had to have someone hook up a scanner a do a reset on mine. signals on truck worked fine but nothing on left side of trailer.
Old 09-24-2010, 12:43 AM

Also try searching trailer turn signals. This thread is what I was referring to https://www.dieseltruckresource.com/...r+turn+signals
Old 09-24-2010, 10:11 AM

If you are getting power to the left side of the trailer then it has nothing to do with the TV. If a fuse was blown from the vehicle then you would have nothing at the seven pin. In the trailer seven pin connector clean the contacts and use a small screwdriver and bend the tabs up. I have found that over time the pins get compressed. I also like to use some diaelectrical grease after the cleaning. This prevents moisture and makes a great connection. If you have a test light you can also check starting at the TV seven pin and work your way down the right side of the trailer in case you have a short....
Old 09-26-2010, 08:35 PM

it is definatly a truck issue, my buddy hooked up his truck to the trailer and everything works on the trailer, when i hooked up to his trailer the same issue on Rt side blinkers or brake. there are some fuses for trailer running lights and brake controller but none for brakes or blinkers on either side. i have checked all the connections. somewhere i read something about some sort of other circuit protector called a TIMP. anyone with any experience there?
Old 09-26-2010, 09:52 PM
With age comes the cage

The 06 and up have the TIPM's We have a PDC (Power Distribution Center)

On my 05 trailer fuses are as follows

#33 20A Trailer Park Lamps

#46 15A LTS / Brake

#47 15A RTS / Brake

46 & 47 are labeled R 0r L trailer lamps on the cover..

The TS / Brake are the same circuit on the trailer..

Use a magnifying lens to read the small print inside the fuse box cover..
Old 09-26-2010, 10:11 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Check your blinker fluid....

Sorry guys just had to.
Old 09-27-2010, 01:09 PM

Wow! it's been a while since I had to deal with these issues. They've come a long way.... Good luck....
Old 09-27-2010, 09:52 PM
With age comes the cage

Originally Posted by NB64
Wow! it's been a while since I had to deal with these issues. They've come a long way.... Good luck....
Yes they have!

What amazes me about blinker fluid technology is how a crystal clear fluid creates a red blink in the rear and a yellow blink in the front..

Old 09-27-2010, 10:24 PM

Oh I thought they were joking about checking the blinker fuid. I was gonna say I needed a can of beep for my horn...Since it stopped working.....
Old 09-27-2010, 10:28 PM
With age comes the cage

Originally Posted by NB64
Oh I thought they were joking about checking the blinker fuid. I was gonna say I needed a can of beep for my horn...Since it stopped working.....
The last time I replaced that they gave me a can of AW-Uga by mistake, it made the truck horn sound like a model T ford
Old 09-28-2010, 04:27 PM

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Originally Posted by teckert
i have a 2004 Ram and my truck blinkers work fine but my 7 pin connecter does not give me a right turn signal or stop light, all the other lights work fine. I cannot find a fuse for trailer blinkers or stop in the truck fuse box. are there other fuses or a control module someplace else, i checked the wiring harness and it seems fine. Any ideas before I have to sacrifice the truck to the dealer?
This might help:

https://www.dieseltruckresource.com/...light=modulite

(worked for me)
Old 11-29-2010, 10:40 PM

Fuse Box replacement

I had the same thing happen to my 04 and I had to replace the entire fuse box. Something about a built in relay of some type. Expensive replacement just to make your lights on your trailer work.

Quick Reply: Blinker problems with trailer