4th Gen Ram -Non Drivetrain- 2010 and Up Talk about the 2010 and up Dodge Ram here. PLEASE, NO ENGINE OR DRIVETRAIN DISCUSSION!.

1st Post - 2500 versus 3500 SRW?

Search this Thread

Old 01-18-2011, 12:28 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
To the OP, if you ever plan on installing bigger tires get the 4.10 gears. Also with bigger tires they use less air pressure and the 3500 doesn't have the tire pressure monitoring.

Besides that I think the 2500 and 3500 just have different rear springs.
Old 01-18-2011, 12:44 PM

Originally Posted by UNDER-PRESSURE
100% Bone stock turd. Purchased it 300 miles away & it's been JUNK since i got on the highway home. Check engine light issues have been fixed but the truck is unsafe at highway speeds so i really haven't put any more than 1,600 miles on the truck. Those 1,600 have been mostly going back & forth from the dealers. The NEW Dodge & General tires would rather play games than fix a NEW truck? It would also seem asking for a SAFE truck is unreasonable these days?

I completely understand that having a bad experience totally puts you off. In April of 2009 I bought a Honda Accord V6. I drove it around town on a test drive. It was great. I purchased it late at night and took it home. The next morning on my way to work on the highway the thing had a terrible vibration. I was two days away from taking the new car to Florida. The dealer bought me in and rebalanced the tires. They told me it had flat spots cause they don't rotate their inventory much. The darn thing vibrated all of the way to Florida and back. Thdn after three more trips and a roadforce balance they told me there was nothing wrong with the car (honda couldn't help me either). Sears replaced the tires under warranty (didn't tell them the flat spot story). Car still had a slight shimmy. I kept the car for one year and traded it in on the 2010 Dodge.
Because of my experience with Honda I would not be buying another one even though I know they have a great reputation. My personal experience dictates what'll buy or not. Sorry you got a bad one and I understand your pain.
Old 01-18-2011, 12:51 PM

The 2010-11 is a big difference over the the 5.9L. My 2010 stocks out tows my old 04.5 even with it's slight modifications (Smarty JR on tow mode, Banks cat back exhaust, and full AFE proguard 7 intake system). Both tow a similar weight 11.5 5th wheel trailer.The 2010 with it's 6speed, VG turbo and the exhaust brake is a whole different animal for the good. The only thing I don't like is the softer suspension in the 2010 model compared to the 04. But empty on a smooth highway the 2010 rides more like a car than a truck. But I added a sway bar and air bags and all is well.
Like we say in my house you only live once do what you can afford.
Old 01-19-2011, 09:51 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
If it has all those issuesd brand new LEMON LAW it
Old 01-19-2011, 01:53 PM

I have been driving 1 tons for a number of years, and looked at them hard. The problem was, they had this 2500 ont eh lot and were discounting it $3,000 more than the 1 Tons.
I bought it. I put air bag on but to be honest it does not need them. Looking at the trucks it is real hard to see much difference. The GVW of the 2500 was 9650 and the 3500 was 10,300.
I haul heavy loads with mine and the 2500 does fine.
Old 01-20-2011, 12:37 AM

Originally Posted by Jim W

The other difference are the added lighting required on 1 ton trucks and a higher license plate fees.

Jim
The plate fees are different? and what lighting is different??

Larry
Pekin, IL
Old 01-20-2011, 06:40 AM

Originally Posted by Stargeezer

Larry
Pekin, IL
Only on the duallys. They have to have the cab clearance lights, rear fender lights, and an extra brake light (on rams I believe it's below the tailgate kinda hidden in that gap there).
Old 01-20-2011, 08:22 AM

Originally Posted by Stargeezer

Larry
Pekin, IL
Yes, the one ton trucks have the cab clearance lights as standard I believe, were as they are an option on the 2500HD's. Mine and my sons 06, 3/4 ton trucks did not have the clearance lights nor any other 3/4 ton trucks that I looked at.
He de-badge his and added the cab clearance lights he likes them, I do not.

I also believe that one ton trucks in IL have to use "D" plates on the truck. Were as the 3/4 ton truck is allowed to use "B" plates. I pay $99.00 a year and my son who as "D" plates pays over $125 a year for his truck. 3/4 ton trucks can order "D" plates if required to, depending on what they are towing. Since I pull an RV they do not pull me over.
Jim
Old 01-20-2011, 09:56 AM

Originally Posted by Jim W
I also believe that one ton trucks in IL have to use "D" plates on the truck. Were as the 3/4 ton truck is allowed to use "B" plates. I pay $99.00 a year and my son who as "D" plates pays over $125 a year for his truck. 3/4 ton trucks can order "D" plates if required to, depending on what they are towing. Since I pull an RV they do not pull me over.
Jim
If I'm reading the weights right, I think the dually weighs just under 8,000 lbs. 8,000 is the limit for "B" plates.

I hope this is right - I have "Disabled Veteran" plates and had to go through jungles, swim broad rivers and hump 100lb rucks to get them - and all that was just in Springfield. LOL These DV plates are also limited to 8,000 pounds.

Like you, I'll be pulling an RV with my truck (when it comes it). But ISP sets up a roadside weight stop once or twice a month 5 blocks from my house. Since I'm in a van at the moment, they just wave me through - but the big dually just might get their "attention".

If I'm wrong about the weight of the dually please let me know.

Larry
Old 01-21-2011, 07:34 AM

get a third party to do an eval on the truck, if the report comes back saying that there is a issue that cannot be determined get an attorney to write a letter demanding a new replacment vehicle or a lease or finance termination. you should be able to have this done, how long have you had the truck? FYI i have a 2010 3500 mega that drove like a dream till it was creamed by a fully loaded semi, 9 months and 33 thousand dollars later and i have a very expensive peice of S H I T. insurance would not replace and i regret selling my old dodge that was payed off and ran awesome
Old 01-21-2011, 07:42 AM

Larry,
Thank you for serving and your scarifice to our country.

I think you will need "D" plates on the one ton dually that you are getting. I know my son put "D" plates on his 3/4 ton truck because he did not want to be hassle by the State Police and their weight scales. He pulls a trailer with his pull truck on it, to truck pulls. He has told me that if he had "B" plates he would get a ticket for being over weight.

I believe the entire truck and occupants are weighed to see if it is over the 8,000 LB limit. So this would include the base weight of the truck, fuel, passengers, driver and what ever else is in the truck. This will then put the truck over 8,000 LBS, thus the need for the "D" plate.

I would check with the DMV, to be sure since you are so close to them in Springfield IL.
Jim
Old 01-21-2011, 08:19 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by sgt snake
get a third party to do an eval on the truck, if the report comes back saying that there is a issue that cannot be determined get an attorney to write a letter demanding a new replacment vehicle or a lease or finance termination. you should be able to have this done, how long have you had the truck? FYI i have a 2010 3500 mega that drove like a dream till it was creamed by a fully loaded semi, 9 months and 33 thousand dollars later and i have a very expensive peice of S H I T. insurance would not replace and i regret selling my old dodge that was payed off and ran awesome
Thanks for the input & your time!! Were going thru the motions now as this truck is undriveable at this point. Dodge has NO way to diagnois the problem in the field so the truck is parked. The truck was purchased in Nov. & i have not used it once for it's intened purpose. We purchased another vehicle on Jan 1st because this 1 is unsafe to operate & certainly nothing you want to put your family in.