Dodge Diesel - Diesel Truck Resource Forums

Dodge Diesel - Diesel Truck Resource Forums (https://www.dieseltruckresource.com/forums/)
-   4th Gen High Performance and Accessories 2010 and Up (https://www.dieseltruckresource.com/forums/4th-gen-high-performance-accessories-2010-up-200/)
-   -   For those on the fence (https://www.dieseltruckresource.com/forums/4th-gen-high-performance-accessories-2010-up-200/those-fence-298909/)

Busboy 12-29-2011 02:00 PM

For those on the fence

To do deletes or not to do.. Have a look at these photos it will make your mind up for you.

[IMG]https://www.dieseltruckresource.com/.../DSC002801.JPG[/IMG]

There was more carbon than shown in the picture that fell on the floor as we removed the intake, truck has 30,000ml on it.

[IMG]https://www.dieseltruckresource.com/...m/DSC00281.JPG[/IMG]

Hard to tell in this one but the intake was almost completely plugged. There was also raw fuel running down inside the factory boost tube. The truck had been to 2 different dealers with the truck having no power and making oil, they had changed O2 sensors on two occasions. I plan on dropping by the dealer that sold the truck and did most of the work on it to show the pictures and voice my concern. [laugh]

Colo_River_Ram 12-29-2011 02:14 PM

That photo just cost me some big bucks (or is that considered an investment). Thanks for the motivational photos..

[coffee]

JP-4.5 12-29-2011 02:24 PM

I do not own one of the newer trucks but am curious if that buildup is from a stock configured truck? Daily driver or Work vehicle?

That is crazy amount of carbon...
Best of luck with deletes.

tcr 12-29-2011 02:52 PM

That's insane, I was going to wait until 10K to do deletes, but I'll have a 3rd of that crap in mine by then. So if one has a 100,000 mile ext warranty and you clog one of these engines up in that time; on who's dime is the cleaning bill? Is it warranty?

John_P 12-29-2011 03:25 PM

Originally Posted by Busboy (Post 3059479)
To do deletes or not to do.. Have a look at these photos it will make your mind up for you.

[IMG]https://www.dieseltruckresource.com/.../DSC002801.JPG[/IMG]

There was more carbon than shown in the picture that fell on the floor as we removed the intake, truck has 30,000ml on it.

[IMG]https://www.dieseltruckresource.com/...m/DSC00281.JPG[/IMG]

Hard to tell in this one but the intake was almost completely plugged. There was also raw fuel running down inside the factory boost tube. The truck had been to 2 different dealers with the truck having no power and making oil, they had changed O2 sensors on two occasions. I plan on dropping by the dealer that sold the truck and did most of the work on it to show the pictures and voice my concern. [laugh]

-----------------------------------------
Busboy:

Good thread and post Sir!;)

This kind of thing is EXACTLY what I have been talking about with these new 2011-2012 4th Gen Trucks as well as the older 3rd Gen's with the "Cummins Blue Tec" 6.7 Emission DPF Engines!![verymad] My dealership here in eastern N.C. is seeing ALOT of this just exactly as you have posted here. My buddies 2010 is at the dealer right now with the EGR, intake and TURBO plugged just like your picture! I need to go get a picture of his once they tear it down.

I feel sorry for those that have bought these new trucks and have to deal with this type of thing! The problem is you guys can delete them, but then risk voiding the warranty if you have a serious engine and Chrysler and or Dodge sees it! Pretty disgusting really...................

You gotta love these new trucks with this Cummins 6.7!!

---------
John_P

Busboy 12-29-2011 03:49 PM

Originally Posted by JP-4.5 (Post 3059488)
I do not own one of the newer trucks but am curious if that buildup is from a stock configured truck? Daily driver or Work vehicle?

That is crazy amount of carbon...
Best of luck with deletes.

The truck was completely stock except for a dealer installed fast idle, it belongs to my son and he uses it for work, it does long periods of hiway often pulling a cargo trailer, it is hardly ever in the city but he does idle it lots. I was just at the dealer with mine and spoke to the service manager about my sons, he told me that with the check engine light on for whatever reason the truck will NOT go into regen and will clog and carbon up very quickly. My sons is now completely deleted and I think mines next, I had a bunch of codes including O2 sensors. Mine has 7500ml and almost every single mile towing long trips.
Forgot to mention his MAP sensor was almost completely plugged as well.

Spooler 12-29-2011 08:55 PM

Yumme Yumme, carbon crud sandwich.

Blake Clark 12-29-2011 08:59 PM

TCR

if your under 5yr/100k it falls on the Cummins warranty and should be on Cummins/Chryslers bill.

However you still have an engine with the blacklung.

That picture right there is why Im such a big advocate of deleting.

John is right. The emissions system is a disgrace. Disheartening really. But you can thank the tree hugging liberals for that. They want these systems on the vehicles and it cost, in terms of reliability and fuel economy. And then they have the nerve to impose stricter MPG standards on top of that.

Its ridiculous to be honest.

Id love more than anything to have a P pumped 5.9 rattlin away under the hood of my '11, but, thanks to Big Brother, it just aint so.

New2Diesel 12-29-2011 10:42 PM

I am 100% in aggreance with John and Blake, that is why my truck had less than 1000mi on it when I became a full delete guy. The fact that all the crud was on your grid heater should be enough for any person with this truck to delete. Even though the vehicle is under a warranty, when it runs out, you are more than likely going to be left with a running dirty and dingy truck. I will always agree that deleting at the 1st opportunity is what you want to do. That warranty is not worth it.

If you do have to delete late, there is nothing like some water/meth injection to clean up all the gunk. (I'm just sayin')

ljvsnyder 12-30-2011 08:41 AM

I would like to see emissions/fuel comparisons between a stock truck, a deleted truck, and a deleted truck running water methanol injection system. The problem is the feds won't let any of the manufacturers of aftermarket equipment give out the emissions information. The EGR is the most ridiculous device ever designed, didn't the manufacturers learning anything when ford had all of its problems with their 6.0 EGRs?

Busboy 12-30-2011 04:27 PM

I was talking with H&S yesterday, not only have they lowered their price on the boost tube to $100 they have also lowered the intake to $299. If you get the intake you don't need the EGR delete you only need the cooler delete. More reason to delete.[laugh] I couldn't get the lower prices for the stuff I bought before Christmas although I did try. [laugh]

Danderson 12-30-2011 05:35 PM

It's a bad joke.

Maybe one of you 6.7 owners should start a Facebook page or something and ask others to post their photos/repair records for this nonsense. Everyone should also forward these pics and records to the EPA. The clogging/repair bills along with diminished fuel economy equals a net loss.

On a smaller scale is the infamous CARB approved gas containers being enjoyed here. Try using those suckers CARB. What a joke.

Tedonlin150 12-30-2011 06:53 PM

Ha yeah those new gas cans are a joke. They make it way harder to pour your gas in and you end up spilling half of it. And then they break after two or three uses.

Dodgetracker 12-31-2011 10:41 AM

Question, How did you clean it and what did you use?
Im hoping my 3rd gen wont be as bad. Planning on deleting when I get back to the States.

John_P 12-31-2011 11:35 AM

Originally Posted by Dodgetracker (Post 3060098)
Im hoping my 3rd gen wont be as bad. Planning on deleting when I get back to the States.

------------------------
I don't know how Busboy cleaned his but the Dodge Techs I have watched "clean" these intakes, EGR's, turbos used a small screwdriver to "chip" the crap off and then they sucked up the powder with large vacuums! One of the Techs there also used a high speed air powered "Dremel" type tool to grind the stuff out of there. He told me "John, this is almost like mining for coal!"[laugh] The stuff is harder than you might think and IMHO it has the consistency of "Kingsford Charcoal Briquets!"[laugh]
As I said, pretty dang disgusting........................[yuk]

Dodge also has a solvent they use to flush the stuff out of turbochargers but many of them are so bad the shafts have broken in them!:o
That water cooled Holset Turbo on the new Cummins 6.7 costs almost $3,000.00 retail!!:o

Busboy 12-31-2011 01:08 PM

Originally Posted by Dodgetracker (Post 3060098)

I used a big shop vac with a crevice tool on the end to first vacuum the smaller stuff then scraped the grids and gasket then re vacuumed. I then finished off with a wiper and brake cleaning fluid used sparingly. I didn't clean the intake and throttle valve as I had decided to delete and just installed the Maxx Flow intake instead.

MikeyRobalo 01-01-2012 11:00 AM

I just fell over the fence. And landed on my wallet.
Ouch , that is nasty stuff.
Still , would I want to wait a few miles , maybe 1k to be sure there are no factory issues when brand new ?
M

Busboy 01-01-2012 11:50 AM

Originally Posted by MikeyRobalo (Post 3060432)
Still , would I want to wait a few miles , maybe 1k to be sure there are no factory issues when brand new ?
M

I would and did, my truck has 7500miles of hard towing and I just got my first check engine light driving to the store to get parts to delete the other truck 2 codes for o2 sensor I have reset them and haven't driven the truck yet. I am getting the parts together to delete mine though. The dealer told me if the check engine light is on for ANY reason the truck will NOT go into regen and the $4600 CD DPF will plug quickly. I would recommend an early oil change and don't forget to lube the front drive shaft, mine had never seen a lick of grease until I put the gun to it.

MikeyRobalo 01-01-2012 12:13 PM

Originally Posted by Busboy (Post 3060458)
I would and did, my truck has 7500miles of hard towing and I just got my first check engine light driving to the store to get parts to delete the other truck 2 codes for o2 sensor I have reset them and haven't driven the truck yet. I am getting the parts together to delete mine though. The dealer told me if the check engine light is on for ANY reason the truck will NOT go into regen and the $4600 CD DPF will plug quickly. I would recommend an early oil change and don't forget to lube the front drive shaft, mine had never seen a lick of grease until I put the gun to it.

Good to know. Thx
And I thought spending the 50 k was the hard part :(

pwregan 01-01-2012 05:55 PM

Crud

My 24 valve is not looking so bad now that i have seen these pictures- a lift pump is easy compared to all the damage that build up is going to cause inside a motor over time- to spend that kind of money on a truck that is destroying itself seems kind of a waste to me-thank you for the pictures and being honest about your truck.

ctnv 01-01-2012 10:29 PM

I was told by a dealer diesel tech that I must remove my AFE cold air dry filter system b/c of sooting issue. Another dealer in CT never said a word about it. I have started running at or above 1500 rpm not matter what speed I am going and prefer between 1800 and 2000 rpm in order to try to eliminate this problem. It cannot be that the AFE system is the problem and I told the tech this, it's just air. I'll let everyone know how the increasing of rpm's works or not. If not delete will be in the mix.

NoSparkplugs 01-02-2012 12:04 AM

Yup my 2012 is gonna get the full H&S treatment here once I finish trade school in a couple of months. That intake is disgusting...
Minimaxx, DPF delete, EGR cooler delete and intercooler pipe and intake here I come!

I'm looking forward to letting my truck idle in the morning and not worrying about plugging up the DPF[yuk]

Mike Holmen 01-02-2012 10:58 AM

[laugh]Very common issues, seen a few higher mileage trucks, with the entire head filled with soot. After awhile it will build-up on the valves and you'll have valves that will not seal. Either way its win-win for the dealer, either you buy a new truck or fix the junk you own.

Most of this is deemed by the dealer as daily wear/tear and regular maintaince, please bring that expense truck in for your monthly service visit.

You should tear apart a few higher mileage 6.7L and see were all the soot collects.[laugh]

Blake Clark 01-02-2012 11:02 AM

Originally Posted by Mike Holmen (Post 3060820)
You should tear apart a few higher mileage 6.7L and see were all the soot collects.[laugh]

Mine collects on various roadways.

:hehe:

boostjunkie1 01-02-2012 12:39 PM

HOLY CRAP!!!! I was getting ready to pull the trigger on a 2011 left over 6.7 with a G56 and this thread just stopped that!!!! [yuk]

NC law would rape me if I did the EGR delete and I know that the dealer would "Write Me Up" on it...... CRAP

Used 5.9 here I come!

turbo246 01-02-2012 03:23 PM

Originally Posted by ctnv (Post 3060662)
I was told by a dealer diesel tech that I must remove my AFE cold air dry filter system b/c of sooting issue. Another dealer in CT never said a word about it. I have started running at or above 1500 rpm not matter what speed I am going and prefer between 1800 and 2000 rpm in order to try to eliminate this problem. It cannot be that the AFE system is the problem and I told the tech this, it's just air. I'll let everyone know how the increasing of rpm's works or not. If not delete will be in the mix.

which dealers are you dealing with in CT, I am also from CT

Mike Holmen 01-02-2012 07:44 PM

Originally Posted by boostjunkie1 (Post 3060862)
HOLY CRAP!!!! I was getting ready to pull the trigger on a 2011 left over 6.7 with a G56 and this thread just stopped that!!!! [yuk]

NC law would rape me if I did the EGR delete and I know that the dealer would "Write Me Up" on it...... CRAP

Used 5.9 here I come!

Hate to say but just buy a mechanical diesel its better running truck. That's why I drive my old truck for the daily driver stuff and keep the new one around when the old truck is broken. I use my truck for work, and require a truck. Not impressed with the newer design of engine 5.9L or 6.7L[dummy][tapdshut]

Busboy 01-04-2012 04:56 PM

Just to update, my son got some cell coverage and managed to call, he's SUPER IMPRESSED with his truck since the deletes, he says fuel mileage is incredible now and since he's on ice roads he can't really do much with the skinny pedal, he's chained up and dragging a cargo trailer though. We didn't manage to get the Boost tube or the EGT probe installed so he doesn't know egts yet. So far the deletes have worked wonders for him, we'll see what his oil looks like the next service.

jumper 01-04-2012 05:17 PM

The intake valves probably look just like that grid heater.

Busboy 01-04-2012 05:48 PM

Originally Posted by jumper (Post 3061804)
The intake valves probably look just like that grid heater.

That is probably true and there is little that can be done other than dis-assembly.
A water/meth injection is not an option because of where he runs but some kind of service wash may be possible. We used to do compressor washes on the large turbine engines when needed and since he has a manifold with built in injector ports we could rig something up temporarily. I need to do a little more research but right now working on getting an engine back where it belongs.

jstone44720 01-05-2012 07:36 AM

Originally Posted by Tedonlin150 (Post 3059923)
Ha yeah those new gas cans are a joke. They make it way harder to pour your gas in and you end up spilling half of it. And then they break after two or three uses.

I never imagined I would live in a world where I wanted a "contraband" gas jug . . .

Scarlet HO 01-05-2012 05:21 PM

Originally Posted by boostjunkie1 (Post 3060862)

Used 5.9 here I come!

I am curious as to the NC law you refer to. My local dealership has a mechanic who does deletes. Had a nice conversation with them about it and was very surprised at their willingness to delete my truck. Bear in mind they were quick to mention the warranty would go bye-bye. Just curious.

John_P 01-05-2012 05:51 PM

Originally Posted by Scarlet HO (Post 3062290)
I am curious as to the NC law you refer to. My local dealership has a mechanic who does deletes. Had a nice conversation with them about it and was very surprised at their willingness to delete my truck. Bear in mind they were quick to mention the warranty would go bye-bye. Just curious.

---------------------------
Scarlett HO:

The N.C. Law that I am pretty sure DTR Member boostjunkie is referring to is the N.C. State Vehicle Inspection Law. ALL vehicles in N.C. HAVE to be inspected once a year. Some of the N.C. counties are "emissions counties" where smog and pollution are worse, therefore, they do a more rigorous state inspection also on diesels. In those "emissions counties", they physically inspect the diesel trucks for ALL federally mandated emission parts such as catalytic converters, DPF's, EGR systems etc. Removal of ANY of those parts or systems results in failure on that state inspection. They also do a "particulate soot test" on the exhaust coming from the truck to see if the engine is above acceptable diesel particulate limits.

I find it interesting that "your local dealership has a mechanic that does deletes.":o For your information, if he is really doing that, he is violating federal law and not only can he be fined, but the dealership he works at can be heavily fined also! Furthermore, Chrysler and Dodge can pull their franchise from that dealer for those violations. Would you care to tell us which dealer that is in N.C.???

---------
John_P

MikeyRobalo 01-05-2012 06:06 PM

Originally Posted by John_P (Post 3062304)
Scarlett HO:

The N.C. Law that I am pretty sure DTR Member boostjunkie is referring to is the N.C. State Vehicle Inspection Law. ALL vehicles in N.C. HAVE to be inspected once a year. Some of the N.C. counties are "emissions counties" where smog and pollution are worse, therefore, they do a more rigorous state inspection also on diesels. In those "emissions counties", they physically inspect the diesel trucks for ALL federally mandated emission parts such as catalytic converters, DPF's, EGR systems etc. Removal of ANY of those parts or systems results in failure on that state inspection. They also do a "particulate soot test" on the exhaust coming from the truck to see if the engine is above acceptable diesel particulate limits.

I find it interesting that "your local dealership has a mechanic that does deletes.":o For your information, if he is really doing that, he is violating federal law and not only can he be fined, but the dealership he works at can be heavily fined also! Furthermore, Chrysler and Dodge can pull their franchise from that dealer for those violations. Would you care to tell us which dealer that is in N.C.???

---------
John_P

NO SHARING of dealers that do missing parts repairs.
He asked the dealer to put the parts back that were stolen from his '76 Mercedes 250. thats all. an honest mistake.
Here in MD does emissions , ,, how do I get around that ? save the parts I guess.
Wanna jump on a 2012 , 3500 lb laramie any day now. 1400 apart from what the dealer wants. you guys are scaring me into a remodel of an 02 2500 gasser thats in my driveway.

j_martin 01-09-2012 06:38 PM

Man, my face hurts from grinning. I just bought a 93 first gen, paints peeling a bit, no rust, under 200K miles. I figure it's probably got 200-300K left in it.
But ugly, simple to fix, reliable as mom. Think I'll go fix the few booboos in it from the factory, headlight wiring, heater wiring, and KDP.

Blake Clark 01-09-2012 06:48 PM

Originally Posted by j_martin (Post 3063873)
Man, my face hurts from grinning. I just bought a 93 first gen, paints peeling a bit, no rust, under 200K miles. I figure it's probably got 200-300K left in it.
But ugly, simple to fix, reliable as mom. Think I'll go fix the few booboos in it from the factory, headlight wiring, heater wiring, and KDP.

Well lets see, 1st gen vs 4th gen.

Oh wait......

I dont have to choose.

Scarlet HO 01-09-2012 06:53 PM

Originally Posted by John_P (Post 3062304)
Scarlett HO:

---------
John_P

Perhaps I should keep the dealership location ummm secret for now. The conversation started by me inquiring about what my truck inspection. I was told by the service advisor that it was safety only for diesel trucks. Maybe it is the county I live in. But they way they talked NC was safety only for diesels.

John_P 01-09-2012 07:07 PM

Originally Posted by Blake Clark (Post 3063882)
Well lets see, 1st gen vs 4th gen.

Oh wait......

I dont have to choose.

-------------------------------
Yeah,....I don't have to choose either! Thank God!

You see Blake, I am not the only one on DTR that prefers the older Dodge CTD Pickups![laugh]

John_P 01-09-2012 07:10 PM

Originally Posted by Scarlet HO (Post 3063883)
Perhaps I should keep the dealership location ummm secret for now. The conversation started by me inquiring about what my truck inspection. I was told by the service advisor that it was safety only for diesel trucks. Maybe it is the county I live in. But they way they talked NC was safety only for diesels.

----------------------------------------
Yeah,..... that's what I thought you would say Scarlet!![duhhh]

Blake Clark 01-09-2012 07:15 PM

Originally Posted by John_P (Post 3063890)
-------------------------------
Yeah,....I don't have to choose either! Thank God!

You see Blake, I am not the only one on DTR that prefers the older Dodge CTD Pickups![laugh]

Well of course thats true John. I love ALL Dodge Cummins. My '90 has so much sentimental value it cant be sold (again) EVER!