4th Gen High Performance and Accessories 2010 and Up Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for fourth generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories.

Ryno conversion update

Search this Thread

Old 03-31-2011, 10:54 PM
Chapter President

Location: misplaced Idahoan stuck in Albuquerque, Roughneckin on RIG 270
Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
here is the issue that you have. with a bodylift, there is a lot of fabrication to make the 5th wheel hitch attach to the frame. We had a wrecked truck come in that was pulling a trailer and the first thing the insurance guy asked, was there a bodylift. I asked why would that be relevant (playing dumb i was) and he said that there is nobody out there making a safe 5th wheel set up for a truck with a bodylift and that would certify it for the weight rating due to the mounting pains. your best bet would be a bumper pull

on edit- the other issue is since it is lifted that tall, the bed to trailer clearance will be little to none, get in a flex situation and takes out the bed and the neck of the trailer overhanging the bed. A fix for that is flipping the axles on the trailer to lift the trailer but then that in itself would cause an issue getting in and out of it in a chair.
Old 03-31-2011, 11:10 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thanks Chris. I appreciate the heads up. If I decide on switching to a 5'ver, I'll plan on switching to a towing bed and doing away with the lift back there totally.

I've been looking at a few online, but hav'nt seen one for a short bed yet.

I'm bugged by the chassis lift, I was not told about it until it was done. And I just don't think it was required - if it arrives here with a foot of space under the wheelchair lift - I'm going to make them remove blasted mess. I'm not rock crawing or mudding and I don't like the look of it.
Old 03-31-2011, 11:18 PM
Chapter President

did they do a body lift or a chassis lift?

an RV styly hauler bed would totally eliminate your clearance issues and allow the 5th wheel to be used! totally spaced that idea!
Old 03-31-2011, 11:40 PM

They did a 3" body lift and (I think) a 4" Rear nad 6" front chassis lift.

A "creative" solution may just be the best answer. Thanks, Chris. Your friend does VERY nice work.
Old 04-02-2011, 02:15 PM

You'll be able to fit 40's under that sucker! Not that you'd want to do that...

Seriously though, if they need a lift why not just a 2, 3 or 4 inch lift?
Old 04-02-2011, 02:27 PM

I don't know - as high as that is, I'll be able to roll under it and change my own oil without a pit.
Old 04-07-2011, 10:58 AM

I just was updated by Ryno Mobility. At long last, my truck will be picked up by the shipper in the morning.
I'm uncertain how quickly it will make the trip up to Illinois, but they felt it will be here mid week or so. The mobility dealer in Springfield will install the hand controls and check everything out before they expect me to show up - right.... Want to bet I'll be checking for the truck everyday????

I'll update anything new ASAP.
Old 04-07-2011, 11:58 AM
Chapter President

keep after em Larry! can't wait to see pics!

any update on the subwoofer? is it still there?
Old 04-07-2011, 12:23 PM

According to the office gal it was relocated. I've asked them to ship all parts they removed in the bed of the truck. If it's been taken out, they know I'm looking for it.

Anybody need any "never used" mega back seat parts???? Or know where I can sell them?
Old 04-07-2011, 01:46 PM
Chapter President

i would try the classifieds here Larry to sell any spare parts you can. I am sure they will go fast.
Old 04-15-2011, 02:52 PM

Major Update

Hi Friends,

At long last, the truck is finished in Florida. It will be picked up by the shipper today (it was supposed to be last week) and will hopefully be in Illinois on tuesday with delivery to me on Wednesday.

Here are the "as Built" pics they just sent to me. Hot off the computer;

Now if the transport goes as planned we'll get it home for some high quality photo work.

Larry
Old 04-15-2011, 04:16 PM

Darn Larry that thing is wild looking, no wonder you need the wheel chair lift, I think I'd have to use it to get into that thing
Old 04-15-2011, 04:37 PM

They dropped the bumper enough to be legal in Illinois (30" to the bottom), but I can't believe that the rear wheels are that exposed. I'm going to have to find some big mud flaps. The ones from Husky are not going to cut it.
Old 04-15-2011, 05:10 PM

Received 36 Likes on 32 Posts
Originally Posted by Stargeezer
They dropped the bumper enough to be legal in Illinois (30" to the bottom), but I can't believe that the rear wheels are that exposed. I'm going to have to find some big mud flaps. The ones from Husky are not going to cut it.
Does that ever look good. Looks like the rear bumper is 1 1/2inches lower but what did they do with your hitch? Here is a link to a lifted truck pulling a 5ver. http://www.monstermayhem.org/forums/...rv66a/cat/1287
Old 04-15-2011, 06:14 PM

Thats a little bigger than my truck - I'd say about 3 feet taller - but I like it!

Quick Reply: Ryno conversion update