4th Gen High Performance and Accessories 2010 and Up Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for fourth generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories.

Programmer Question

Search this Thread

Old 10-26-2015, 09:58 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Programmer Question

Hello, new to the forum and to Dodge so kind of a newb when it comes to some of the things discussed however I have a question about programmers.

OK I know this topic has been discussed to death. The problem I have it the questions usually get way off topic from what I am wanting too know. Here goes. I have just recently bought a 2010 Dodge 2500 with a 6.7 Cummins. the real issue is that it has 35's on it and I have called the *********** and they want between $100.00 and $300.00 to adjust for the tire size. My speedo is way off. Running with cruise on 60 I go a mile in about 51 secs. which equates to about 70 MPH. So I started looking at local shops and I guess because I live in a small town no one around can change the Pinion Factor. I looked into something to buy so I could do it myself like Hypertech and they are about $200.00. I figured if I was going to do that I might as well add a couple hundred to it and get a programmer with gauges as well.

He is my dilemma, With money being what it is I can not afford the H&S, or Smarty Jr. or others that come in at $800.00 to $1000.00+. My truck has no deletes and as of right now I am not in a position to be able to do them, maybe in the future. I have narrowed my search down to two programmers. the first is Edge Products 85200 Evolution CTS Programmer. the second is Bully Dog 40420 GT Platinum Tuner. Both of them seem to do close to the same thing from what I have been able to research with a couple of small differences. The Edge has more level of programming. The Bully Dog has a switch on the fly capabilities. So my question is which one would you all suggest for someone with my truck and no deletes. If anyone has any suggestions on a different one that runs about the same price throw it out the and I will research it as well.

As a matter of reference the two big things that have me looking at a programmer is 1 the econ feature to get better gas millage, and 2 I tow a 5th wheel that is on the heavy side loaded with what I carry it would top out at between 13,750 and 14,000 LBS. I traded a 2004 Chevy Duramax 2500 for this Dodge and they Chevy pulled it wonderfully just looking for any help I can get with pulling.

Obviously I would like to do all the deletes and get a H&S or a Juice with Attitude but that is just not feasible right now so any help with this decision is greatly appreciated as I have to do something pretty quick to get my speedo and odometer correct.

Thanks, Wayne
Old 10-26-2015, 02:17 PM
DTR's Cow Boss

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Programmer Question

I have the bully dog on my 14 and. I love it, has so many features to protect the motor i.e. engine warm up mode that won't allow for the unit to add any power till the motor reaches a set temp, plus has the ability to de fuel if the pyro temps reach a set point it shuts down to stock, and has the ability to uninstall back to stock and un hook to take it in to the dealers. Also I hear the edge is a bit intense install and I know the bully dog was about a hour and half to installed, the bully dog really woke up my 14 it ran great before but was a dog getting going.
Old 10-26-2015, 02:20 PM
DTR's Cow Boss

Oh and if you have a manual truck pm me if you go that route I have a trick for you I learned .
Old 10-28-2015, 11:10 PM
Just a plain ole guy

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
Most install very guick. I haven't got one yet but reading about them it l99ks like the most time you will spend is mounting it to something then hiding the wires. The connection to your truck is just an odb plug. That takes seconds. From what I've seen your going to pay alot more for a programmer that can do what you want if your only wanting a speedo adjust compared to what a dealer will charge. However with a programmer you can do way much more. Do some reading. All the manuals are online. The make a more informed choice
Old 02-25-2016, 09:51 AM

Originally Posted by DodgeCowboy
Oh and if you have a manual truck pm me if you go that route I have a trick for you I learned .

Would you mind sharing? I have a manual trans and like learning new things about my truck.
Old 02-27-2016, 09:08 AM
DTR's Cow Boss

Well it's nothing fancy it is just when you first install the bully dog for some reason it thinks your a automatic pickup, and locks your key in the dash because it thinks your not in park. All you have to do is unhook the battery cables on both sides, and then touch them together for a few seconds to reset stuff thus telling your truck your really not a auto and give me my key back.
The following users liked this post:
xp8103 (06-02-2017)
Old 06-02-2017, 01:55 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by DodgeCowboy
Well it's nothing fancy it is just when you first install the bully dog for some reason it thinks your a automatic pickup, and locks your key in the dash because it thinks your not in park. All you have to do is unhook the battery cables on both sides, and then touch them together for a few seconds to reset stuff thus telling your truck your really not a auto and give me my key back.
Ok this seems like a cool feature... Cool like a cracked tooth I mean... Can you explain this a bit more? Are you saying that this is a problem for manual trucks?