4th Gen High Performance and Accessories 2010 and Up Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for fourth generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories.

I destroyed my engine

Search this Thread

Old 09-05-2013, 05:20 PM
Administrator

Received 52 Likes on 50 Posts
Originally Posted by Beast2B
Thanks for stepping up and NOT trying to sneak this past the dealer. I know we all hear the statement "I am my own warranty station" after modifying our trucks, but it seems like there are a lot of questions about hiding it. Hope it all works out for you without having to sell your firstborn!
---------------------------
Good post Galen! I agree with what you have told the OP.
Old 09-06-2013, 11:48 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Here is the flexplate. Pretty ugly. Level 1 on Mini Max
Attached Thumbnails I destroyed my engine-image.jpg  
Old 09-07-2013, 12:03 AM

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
I beat you had an engine failure, completely locking it up causing the carnage that ensued. Normally, broken flexplates don't equal busted block. Just a broken flexplate with some tranny damage. Sure would like to see the block and the internals. Crank, rods, mains, etc. The oil filter filled with crap is not a good sign. If the flexplate broke, no way all the crud would make it to the filter unless you keep running it, then maybe.

With all the issues with the 6.7, no way I would touch it. Darn things are 50-60K. It would stay bone stock so I could make them fix it.
Old 09-07-2013, 01:01 AM

Originally Posted by Spooler
I beat you had an engine failure, completely locking it up causing the carnage that ensued. Normally, broken flexplates don't equal busted block. Just a broken flexplate with some tranny damage. Sure would like to see the block and the internals. Crank, rods, mains, etc. The oil filter filled with crap is not a good sign. If the flexplate broke, no way all the crud would make it to the filter unless you keep running it, then maybe.

With all the issues with the 6.7, no way I would touch it. Darn things are 50-60K. It would stay bone stock so I could make them fix it.
Actually, it was screaming pretty good but the engine was making power. I thought maybe it was the turbo screeching and tried to limp home. In hindsight it was the flexplate rubbing against the torque converter and the adapter plate. I might have saved the engine if I hadn't tried to limp home. The picture of the flexplate doesn't show the heat marks very well since I cleaned it up but I'll bet that sucker was glowing. The inner ring is cracked completely through but somehow it kind of locked up and was still sending power to the wheels when I pulled over...
Old 09-07-2013, 01:07 AM

Another view.
Attached Thumbnails I destroyed my engine-image.jpg  
Old 09-07-2013, 01:20 AM

Looks like a defective part to me just like the dual mass flywheels that go out under a 100k on stock power. I sure would be checking around. I'm a member of a few forums and i havent heard of this happening to anyone else and some of those guys are putting out a lot more power then what you did.
Old 09-07-2013, 01:25 AM

I agree that the 6.7 isn't as good as the 5.9. It's crippled by emissions stuff that doesn't function very well and have issues. The DPF, EGR cooler, VVT turbo, and head gaskets are all known trouble areas. I think GM may have been wise to adopt the DEF technology as it seems to have fewer issues. I'm hoping that the new 6.7's with DEF will have fewer problems.

This in between technology was used in Class 8 trucks beginning with engines made in 2007 through 2009. The CAT engines were so bad they abandoned that particular market. Cummins and Detroit had problems too. I think the Detroit's had a slightly more robust system but had issues along with Cummins. Guess what? The problems were similar to our 6.7's. Cracked EGR coolers and excessive regens of the DPF. Not so many turbo issues though some. These large engines didn't perform we'll in local service. Sound familiar?

Despite these issues I still think Cummins makes an excellent engine. It's just this "in between" emissions equipment that has caused most of the problems.
Old 09-07-2013, 01:30 AM

Originally Posted by rich
Looks like a defective part to me just like the dual mass flywheels that go out under a 100k on stock power. I sure would be checking around. I'm a member of a few forums and i havent heard of this happening to anyone else and some of those guys are putting out a lot more power then what you did.
Oh, I think that's very possible but difficult to prove. I prowl on some of the other forums and it does seem to be a fairly rare failure on engines with mild tunes. Still, the flexplate does seem to fail with some regularity in trucks with hot tunes.
Old 09-07-2013, 01:47 AM

Originally Posted by T210DRVR
Oh, I think that's very possible but difficult to prove. I prowl on some of the other forums and it does seem to be a fairly rare failure on engines with mild tunes. Still, the flexplate does seem to fail with some regularity in trucks with hot tunes.
Thats kinda why I'm going on about how its not your fault, Yea it is gonna be hard to prove tho...but i would still push the issue, maybe even consult a lawyer and see what he thinks. If i thought it was your fault i wouldnt be saying anything but since i have tore up a few clutches and trannies i kinda have had experience about what it takes to break stuff. I wish the best of luck..
Old 09-07-2013, 11:31 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Man that sucks.

If it was mine I would have left it together and took it to the dealer to see if they would warranty it or not. They might see it was a faulty flexplate that went boom on your engine.
Old 09-08-2013, 10:34 AM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by John_P
----------------------------------------------------
Would you mind telling us what Dodge Dealer it is you work for?? Just curious.......
Stephens Chrysler jeep dodge, its in bennington, or theres one in greenwich
Old 09-08-2013, 10:40 AM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by T210DRVR
I agree that the 6.7 isn't as good as the 5.9. It's crippled by emissions stuff that doesn't function very well and have issues. The DPF, EGR cooler, VVT turbo, and head gaskets are all known trouble areas. I think GM may have been wise to adopt the DEF technology as it seems to have fewer issues. I'm hoping that the new 6.7's with DEF will have fewer problems.

This in between technology was used in Class 8 trucks beginning with engines made in 2007 through 2009. The CAT engines were so bad they abandoned that particular market. Cummins and Detroit had problems too. I think the Detroit's had a slightly more robust system but had issues along with Cummins. Guess what? The problems were similar to our 6.7's. Cracked EGR coolers and excessive regens of the DPF. Not so many turbo issues though some. These large engines didn't perform we'll in local service. Sound familiar?

Despite these issues I still think Cummins makes an excellent engine. It's just this "in between" emissions equipment that has caused most of the problems.
you hit the nail on the head right there with the DEF technology. this takes away most of the emission problems with the newer cummins 6.7s. I have yet to see an emmision problem with a cummins with DEF in the 7 months ive been working for dodge.
Old 09-08-2013, 11:56 AM

Received 44 Likes on 39 Posts
Originally Posted by Spooler

This was my thought too. Like the engine seized up, and the truck's momentum tore the flexplate apart. I can't understand a flexplate coming apart while going down the highway. Just seems it would be under much greater load when first starting out.
Old 09-10-2013, 06:43 PM
The Guru

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Its a common failure issue. Should be covered by warranty. Probably time to get rid as much of the other low poor dodge junk off the truck that seems to find its way into these very expensive trucks.

Not sure on how this destroyed your engine? I can see big holes in your converter. I guessed on your turbo shafted snapped in half. I seen that happen before as well.
Old 09-26-2013, 10:03 PM

I finally got my truck running again. I'm lighter in the wallet, but some more stuff fell off the truck. She really feels like what I've come to expect from a Cummins engine. Massive torque and pulls really well up the hills. I'm running no power on my H&S tuner for now. Did a run Wednesday and got 17.2 MPG at 65 MPH. Mostly flat land with some small hills to climb. Considering it's a 4x4 Dually I'm pretty happy with that number. I have a buddy with a 2011 4x4 2500 stock and he's thrilled to get 14 MPG on the highway. That seems kind of low to me.

Quick Reply: I destroyed my engine