4th Gen High Performance and Accessories 2010 and Up Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for fourth generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories.

Gas mileage questions/ Tuner Questions

Search this Thread

Old 02-25-2013, 01:32 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Gas mileage questions/ Tuner Questions

I just bought my first diesel and love it. It is brand new my mileage is better on the highway than my half ton Hemi. I would like to improve on the gas mileage. I am not going to do the delete because of warranty however it sounds like the motor runs much cleaner with delete. My dealer will allow me to use a tuner.

If you use a tuner will the truck still throw a code if something is wrong?

Dose using tow mode help with gas mileage?

Does using the brake help with mileage?

I know this is personal preference on tuners but which one do you like the best and why? I see the Smarty jr a lot on here. Great site and thanks in advance for any suggestions.

Greg
Old 02-25-2013, 04:04 PM

You won't realize any real good mileage numbers until you get about 60-70K on it. Then in about a month or two your mileage will most likely come up as much 3-5 mpg all at once, you'll know it's breaking in nicely at that point.
Driving habits are the biggest thing on mileage, easy starts and coasting up to the lights as much as possible will improve your numbers a LOT!
Old 02-25-2013, 04:35 PM

I did notice my milage jump after really using the truck to tow my 30 foot flat deck with equipment on it.. It was around 16000 km that the milage jumped.. Its a diesel.. don't be afraid to work it.. I mean.. WORK IT.. I used mine to pull 34000 lbs on hay on three trailers on the farm (never went on the road) plus the weight of the trailers.. Work that truck.. These are not meant to be driven like a car.. Empty truck (dually 4x4 crew cab) 17 mpg on the highway..
Old 02-25-2013, 04:40 PM

Tuners will not do much for fuel economy if you do not delete. The delete removes some of the restrictive filters in the exhaust and allows your engine to run at lower temps thus extending the life of your engine and increasing your fuel economy.

As for right now, cdennyb said it best, watch your acceleration. In addition, use a cover for your bed which will help with drag. To expand on "coasting up to lights" I recommend using the exhaust brake as much as possible, assuming the roads are not wet or icy, this will help extend the life of your brake pads and rotors all while helping you slow down.

I also recommend not using the cruise control, from what I have found the ECU does a poor job of modulating speed and causes you to burn more fuel.

Good Luck with your new truck!