4th Gen High Performance and Accessories 2010 and Up Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for fourth generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories.

Delete confused now?

Search this Thread

Old 02-02-2013, 10:28 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Delete confused now?

I have an 11 crew cab long box that I am getting ready to delete and I have spent the last couple days reading a little more before I do and the reads I have read, I seam a little confused now?

I see a that hs tuners are not making dpf delete tuners now? I also see that smarty does not have the software available anymore either? Some guys have some problems with the smarty also verse the hs?

And this thing with the dealers downloading an upgrade that blocks out a unaproved download?

Also, is there someone that makes a exhaust system for crew cab long box?

Please forgive my ignorance on some of this, I am learning about this as I go.
Old 02-03-2013, 03:46 AM

I have the very same questions. I did find a couple places that had the race tuners to delete but its $1500.
Old 02-04-2013, 09:19 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Tf-33
I have an 11 crew cab long box that I am getting ready to delete and I have spent the last couple days reading a little more before I do and the reads I have read, I seam a little confused now?

I see a that hs tuners are not making dpf delete tuners now? I also see that smarty does not have the software available anymore either? Some guys have some problems with the smarty also verse the hs?

And this thing with the dealers downloading an upgrade that blocks out a unaproved download?

Please forgive my ignorance on some of this, I am learning about this as I go.
I would read this thread and follow the directions, if you are going to use a Smarty.

https://www.dieseltruckresource.com/...o-t307969.html

A MBRP; TBE will work on your truck need to order one from them.

Once you delete do not go back to the dealer you are your own warranty station. I have not been to a dealer since 08.

Jim W.
Old 02-04-2013, 01:11 PM

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
...Please forgive my ignorance on some of this, I am learning about this as I go.
Originally Posted by millsy
...I have the very same questions.
You guys aren't the only ones, I think we're all trying to get our heads around this issue with the latest flash from the dealer, and what it actually means. Don't interpret silence on this forum as a shrug, we're just waiting for the dust to settle.

But yeah, worst case scenario- if you do the deletes now (while you can) and then you TRULY are your own warranty station for anything driveline related. If you go back to the dealer for service for something other than driveline, by all means put a padlock around your OBD II port or you may get "undeleted".

I think Ram is going to lose sales over this. Everyone I talk to looking for a new truck wants the CTD and the deletes.
Old 02-04-2013, 08:11 PM

Thanks for the replies; I have found a couple places that still have the Jr's in stock and I will ask mama for the go ahead. The Jr's price is going to help pay for the pipe also. I am hoping I will not have any issues with this delete also, my wife will kill me!!!!!! It has taken alot of work to convince her that DPF/EGR is bad for your engine!

What is the deal with guys unplugging the EGR with out the tuner? will this work? It seems that all that **** going in the engine would stop and the oil will be cleaner.

Thanks again.

PRATT/WHITNEY TF-33 IF ITS SMOKIN ITS NOT BROKEN.
Old 02-05-2013, 01:40 PM

I am hoping I will not have any issues with this delete also, my wife will kill me!!!!!! It has taken alot of work to convince her that DPF/EGR is bad for your engine!
Great! Now go to work convincing the EPA as well.

What is the deal with guys unplugging the EGR with out the tuner? will this work? It seems that all that **** going in the engine would stop and the oil will be cleaner.
I find that it works if you're doing a lot of highway driving. My research (and experience backs this up) has found that idling a lot (e.g. city driving) with the the EGR unplugged will clog the dpf and you'll notice a loss of power. It appears the computer kills the 4th injection event (the DPF's "wash cycle") when the EGR is unplugged. Not coincidentally, you'll see an immediate 25% gain in fuel economy with it unplugged on the highway. I can get 19mpg (instead of 15) on the highway with it unplugged. It does throw a code however (MIL). The code goes away after plugging it back in plus a few key starts. I try to remember to unplug it on road trips, but for daily driving, I leave it plugged in.
Old 02-05-2013, 04:23 PM

Originally Posted by SOhappy

I find that it works if you're doing a lot of highway driving. My research (and experience backs this up) has found that idling a lot (e.g. city driving) with the the EGR unplugged will clog the dpf and you'll notice a loss of power. It appears the computer kills the 4th injection event (the DPF's "wash cycle") when the EGR is unplugged. Not coincidentally, you'll see an immediate 25% gain in fuel economy with it unplugged on the highway. I can get 19mpg (instead of 15) on the highway with it unplugged. It does throw a code however (MIL). The code goes away after plugging it back in plus a few key starts. I try to remember to unplug it on road trips, but for daily driving, I leave it plugged in.

From a 5.9er, aren't highway speeds the best for cleaning out the dpf? Your trick sounds good, but what effect would that have on a truck if you only gave it a chance to regen while city driving? I guess mileage is bad regardless while city-driving, so let it regen as well.?
Old 02-06-2013, 01:12 PM

Originally Posted by fullsizeaggie
From a 5.9er, aren't highway speeds the best for cleaning out the dpf? Your trick sounds good, but what effect would that have on a truck if you only gave it a chance to regen while city driving? I guess mileage is bad regardless while city-driving, so let it regen as well.?
All I know is that if I unplug the EGR and do a lot of idling it doesn't take long before you notice a hit in power. The general consensus is that is an indication of the DPF filling up as unplugging the EGR will kill active regens. Active regens destroy MPGs. Funny how something that is supposed to be good for the environment uses more fuel.

In the past, some have suggested it was the computer penalizing you for messing with the emissions. But my experience (and others on here as well) is if you unplug it for highway driving only, the power will be there when you need it (e.g. passing or pulling a long steep grade). The DPF stays clean-ish with highway driving.
Old 02-24-2013, 01:20 PM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
From what I have gathered over the last few days the only way to get the ME software for a smarty now is to either know someone who will share it with you or find one in a store that already has the ME software loaded on it. Is this right? I bought a 2012 2 months ago and was going to let my warranty expire and then buy the programmer and the delete but if they are going away I will pick one up before they are gone.
Old 02-24-2013, 08:52 PM
Thats MR Hoss to you buddy!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I'll let other folks answer your other questions, but I didn't see anyone respond to this one so...

On my long box I opted for the 4" Flo Pro downpipe and DPF delete pipe. I left the factory muffler and tail pipe in place since it's already 4" and since the muffler is a straight through design. It has a bit of a drone around 2000 RPM's, but it's really only bothersome if you find yourself cruising at that RPM. I have to go about 85 mph to do that so it usually isn't an issue.
Old 02-27-2013, 10:05 PM

Did the delete with the smarty jr, full 4" pipe and egr delete...What a difference in power and mileage. Mpg went up around 4 already and its much more enjoyable to drive. It was hard losing the warranty, so I will take it easy and pray for the best.