4th Gen High Performance and Accessories 2010 and Up Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for fourth generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories.

Exhaust brake performance down with Mini Maxx and Delete pipe

Search this Thread

Old 02-20-2012, 11:12 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Exhaust brake performance down with Mini Maxx and Delete pipe

I installed my Mini Maxx last Sunday and installed the delete pipe yesterday, so i was able to drive for a week with the DPF in place and check the gauges on the Mini Maxx. My expectations were high, and they were blown out of the water!! My intake temps dropped from eratic pulses up to 150F, down to a nice stable 10-15F above ambient; my mileage is up ~3 mpg, I love the added rumble from the exhaust, and the power (on mild) is amazing!

The only negative I am seeing is that my exhaust brake is a little weaker. Under similar conditions (engine rpm, speed, grade) i am seeing about half the turbo psi with the delete pipe installed. The hold-back force with the delete pipe on is noticeably weaker. Anyone seeing similar results or know why this has happened??
Old 02-21-2012, 12:18 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Same here and its a real concern since I tow so much. I hope I just need to play with the MM to get it back.
Old 02-21-2012, 12:28 AM

Thats weird, I thought it was just me but I just installed a blackmaxx and new down pipe kit on my '12 3 days ago and I said to my gf when I just about over ran a few intersections that i needed to turn at off the highway 2 or 3 times in a row that the Ebrake seemed weaker but just thought it was me lol. But ya after driving more and more now its getting real noticeable. Lack of back pressure on the exhaust system?
Old 02-21-2012, 07:07 PM
"Gomer Pyle"

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
OK, I AM WAY WAY different!!

My E-Brake is way more effective on a full delete truck. Does it have anything to do with my other mods??

Probably not a big deal since I am going with a different turbo but I like it much better on a deleted truck.

I do run the aggressive turbo tuning tune so maybe that is a factor in the E-brake working so good. I never use my brakes till it shuts off at about 1800 rpm.
Old 02-21-2012, 07:52 PM

The exhaust brake on my '07 6.7 is way more aggressive than that on my 2011. I'm not sure why that is. I didn't pull my big trailer until after doing the deletes and MiniMax with the tranny tune so my impression is very subjective. However, the Ebrake feels better than it did stock. That may be in part because I'm in tow haul mode when pulling the trailer, or it could have something to do with the tranny tune software. Either way, it still seems less aggressive than my '07. It did do a wonderful job of keeping me slowed down on a six percent down grade at 23,000 lbs. It could just be that they are bringing in the braking force more slowly. That could account for why it seems less effective in town or slowing down quickly.

I still don't like the integrated trailer brake. It comes on way too slowly. In slick conditions I find myself reaching for the brake controller to manually apply the trailer brakes. Otherwise, I feel the trailer pushing me and risking a jack knife in slick conditions. I may go back to a Prodigy controller since Dodge assures me that the controller is working perfectly.
Old 02-22-2012, 01:57 AM

So here's a thought. I am assuming those of you that are seeing this same issue have no other deletes other than the NOX/DPF? If you still have the EGR in place, like I do, i wonder if it is possible that we are getting some pressure loss by it being "turned off". The turbo is definitely not spooling up as much as when the EGR was active (when running without the delete pipe). I don't have to do an emissions test for another 6 years in this county (in CA), so i might be open to doing the EGR delete if it solves the problem. Just not sure i can trust myself to reinstall it.

Any H&S guys willing to comment on this phenomenon?
Old 02-22-2012, 09:53 AM

it is egr related. The turbo has to work without the egr on a normal basis to make the ''brake'' function. The egr is applieing its own resistance to helping that during its normal function. Kind of how a normal jake works. The engine applies its own pressure with the egr to assist in what the turbo is doing, which is stopping the exaust and creating presure against motion. The egr is taking exhaust from a blocked off point and using it in opposition which in turn creates more engine braking. Im not against the egr as much as I have been. The metalurgy in these engines as opposed to older engines are more than capable of handleing the suspended soot thats in the air and oil that come from exhaust gas recirculation. In non brake form its assiting in adding more air, along with the turbo, to use whats left in the exhaust, in fuel form to create power. There is power to be had from e.g.r. Thats why we see a power loss when its unplugged and why we see less brake when its disabled or unplugged. Although the oil gets black, the engine and the oil are more than designed to accept it.
Old 02-22-2012, 10:26 AM

I'd sure like to hear from H&S about this too. If its a setting that needs cranked up, I'm willing to try it because I need the brake working right with my camper hooked up.
Old 02-22-2012, 01:37 PM

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Originally Posted by AirGrabber
.... Im not against the egr as much as I have been. ... In non brake form its assiting in adding more air, along with the turbo, to use whats left in the exhaust, in fuel form to create power. There is power to be had from e.g.r. Thats why we see a power loss when its unplugged ...
Interesting assessment, but I'm not sure of a couple of things. First, the "air" the EGR is putting back into the intake contains mostly CO and NOx, which does not burn nearly as efficiently as oxygen (found in a percentage of our atmosphere). Second, the butterfly valve in the intake restricts cool, clean outside air - so I seriously doubt that the replacement warm dirty "air" (CO2) the EGR provides is going to "assist in adding more air"..."to create power". Lastly, when you first unplug the EGR my experience has been that you don't notice a drop in power at first. It takes a few key cycles before you're punished for that. I believe it to be a fueling issue directed by the ECM. You do however, notice immediately a 3-4 mpg increase. I suggest this is due to the warm, dirty exhaust being replaced by cold, clean air. Therefore running the EGR is less efficient, not more efficient. Just my two cents.
Old 02-22-2012, 02:43 PM

Received 36 Likes on 32 Posts
Originally Posted by New2Diesel
OK, I AM WAY WAY different!!

My E-Brake is way more effective on a full delete truck. Does it have anything to do with my other mods??

Probably not a big deal since I am going with a different turbo but I like it much better on a deleted truck.

I do run the aggressive turbo tuning tune so maybe that is a factor in the E-brake working so good. I never use my brakes till it shuts off at about 1800 rpm.
I think you may be correct on the aggressive turbo timing being the difference as the turbo is the exhaust brake.
The way I understand the EGR is the EGR opens to allow exhaust gas into the intake and at the same time the throttle valve restricts the air coming from the compressor section of the turbo. This in turn with the extra injection event increases exhaust gas temperature to regenerate the DPF. While this is going on during the regeneration cycle ONLY, makes everything including the pressure/temp sensor (formerly MAP and IAT) in the intake dirty.
If the EGR only comes into play during the regeneration cycle it can't possibly be a factor.
What I'm not sure of is does the throttle valve normally restrict the airflow during exhaust brake operation, before deletes?
Old 02-22-2012, 04:45 PM

Where do you adjust the turbo on a mini maxx? I was looking through the menus today and could'nt find it. Thanks
Old 02-22-2012, 07:26 PM

Originally Posted by Stargeezer
Where do you adjust the turbo on a mini maxx? I was looking through the menus today and could'nt find it. Thanks
It's a optional download of H&S webiste.
Old 02-22-2012, 10:27 PM

I haven't tried updating the sim in the mini maxx. Do I need to return it to stock before updating the sim?
Old 02-23-2012, 10:23 AM

Received 36 Likes on 32 Posts
Originally Posted by Stargeezer
I haven't tried updating the sim in the mini maxx. Do I need to return it to stock before updating the sim?
No, you just remove the card from the head and use the USB card adapter to insert it into your computer. Do the download, run the program then reinstall into the head and "update Firmware" on the tuner head, then "update tuning" on the truck. Here is a link to the page with the instructions. http://www.hsperformance.com/update-instructions/
Old 02-23-2012, 10:42 AM

Have the full deletes on mine and running the aggressive turbo tune and my exhaust brake works very well

Quick Reply: Exhaust brake performance down with Mini Maxx and Delete pipe