4th Gen High Performance and Accessories 2010 and Up Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for fourth generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories.

egr unpluged

Old 08-08-2012, 08:59 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
egr unpluged

Hi everyone . I'm new to the diesel world and this forum.
I've been reading the threads for a few days and have a question.
On the 2012 ,2500 can i just unplug the egr valve and be ok or do
i also have to do something with the throttle valve?

thanks
Old 08-08-2012, 10:18 PM

yes you can just unplug the brown plug on the egr valve, I had mine unplugged for a short while until I finally deleted the truck altogether. I hated the check engine light and the fact I couldn't use my remote start with a check engine light on. Drove me nuts and truck felt like it lost power with it unplugged also
Old 08-08-2012, 11:53 PM

I would just go ahead and bite the bullet
I just deleted the EGR valve and cool and also my DPF off my 2011.5 HO. I paid 950$ for the entire package thats including 5" TBE, Smarty Jr. ME, EGR/Cooler delete.
Well worth the money spend couldn't be happier!! MPG's jump up about 6MPG more! and the throttle response has also improved and the sound of a 5" exhaust is awesome!!!
Old 08-10-2012, 01:49 AM

I recommend an H&S for your truck over the Smarty IMO. H&S has the 6.7L figured out better than anybody in the business. I know people will probably get defensive about this but I haven't heard much good about the Smarty with the 6.7L. People having problems with codes still being thrown after deletes etc. I have the H&S Blackmaxx for my 2012 and the XRT Pro for my 08' and I did both deletes myself. The XRT Pro is similar to the Smarty if you don't want the Blackmaxx/MiniMaxx to use for gauges and is priced the same around 700 dollars. Another advantage to the H&S is the overdrive software download.
Old 08-10-2012, 08:50 AM
Administrator / Severe Concussion Aficionado

Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts
Originally Posted by DieselBoy20
I recommend an H&S for your truck over the Smarty IMO. H&S has the 6.7L figured out better than anybody in the business. I know people will probably get defensive about this but I haven't heard much good about the Smarty with the 6.7L. People having problems with codes still being thrown after deletes etc. I have the H&S Blackmaxx for my 2012 and the XRT Pro for my 08' and I did both deletes myself. The XRT Pro is similar to the Smarty if you don't want the Blackmaxx/MiniMaxx to use for gauges and is priced the same around 700 dollars. Another advantage to the H&S is the overdrive software download.
Not really....

Given the OP's circumstance, I would most definitely recommend the MiniMaxx.

But from a performance standpoint, especially, with a bunch of hardware tossed at it, the Smarty outperforms. I have had no instances of MIL's or software issues. Often they are common with beta releases. The ONLY complaint I have about MADS, is there presence and customer support, to put it kindly, is lacking.
Old 08-13-2012, 01:24 PM

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Feel free to unplug the EGR. No need to remove the EGR plunger or white gear on the throttle valve, BUT:
1. You will notice a loss of power, especially above 50 mph where you need it for passing . You may not notice it at first, but after a few drives it'll be there. Some think it's the computer de-tuning to punish you for unplugging the EGR , others think it's the DPF is clogging up because the truck won't regen when the EGR is unplugged. I think it's the computer.
2. You will get a MIL. Not really a problem unless something genuinely goes wrong- then you won't know it unless you keep checking the codes with a reader.
3. You'll gain about 3-4 mpg.
4. Your oil will be cleaner, thus you won't have to change it as often.

I ran several thousand miles with the EGR unplugged, but ultimately decided to plug it back in because of some white-knuckle passing experiences.
Old 08-14-2012, 10:35 PM

I think it depends on if you have an auto or stick...I have a stick and haven't noticed the lack of power (but I can compensate by shifting at will so who knows??).
Old 08-15-2012, 01:05 PM

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Originally Posted by dmurdock
I think it depends on if you have an auto or stick...I have a stick and haven't noticed the lack of power (but I can compensate by shifting at will so who knows??).
That's entirely possible, the auto will not kick-down during passing with the EGR unplugged, like it does when it's plugged in. Maybe I should try it again and tap the "-" on the auto-stick a couple of times before passing.
Old 08-18-2012, 10:13 AM

delete it all and you won't have anything to worry about! Alot better throttle responce with all the deletes!!