4th Gen High Performance and Accessories 2010 and Up Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for fourth generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories.

Doing Deletes

Search this Thread

Old 11-02-2015, 12:00 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Doing Deletes

HI all, its been a while since I've posted in here.

I am getting ready to do the deletes on my signature truck.

This is the second truck that I will be deleting. My first was a 2010 that I no longer have.

Here is what I am doing:

H&S XRT Pro, Removing CAT, DPF and NOX. Stock muffler will remain.

Planning on deleting the EGR....

My concern is this.....

On the 2010.... Never had an issue with EGT. even when towing.

With the XRT I cannot monitor EGT, so may consider a gauge eventually.

Since the 2012 already produces more HP/TQ, I'm guessing the EGT are already higher even stock....

I plan on running it on TOW (40HP) and with the Transmission tuning. No planning to hotrod but will ask it to pull when I load it up. I ususally try to keep my Temp below 220 when I am towing.

Since the XRT does not defuel like the MiniMax, how concerned do I need to be of head gasket damage or EGT getting too high?

Thanks for your input in advance.

Also, on a side note. Currently my exhaust brake feels like it is non existent when not in tow/haul compared to the 2010. I am hoping that the deletes will help with this. If you have any input on this, please provide.
Old 11-02-2015, 04:50 PM

Received 36 Likes on 32 Posts
I would get an EGT gauge of some sorts if you plan on towing and make sure to tap the manifold not the egt cooler block off plate, the manifold is 100 to 150 deg hotter and reads much quicker. I find it so easy to run the egt's up when towing especially if you hit a strong head wind, selecting 5th gear is sometimes necessary to keep them in check. As for the exhaust brake I was sure that after delete it seemed to not operate as powerfully as before, this was on both 2011's manual and Automatic. After talking with H&S they told me that the exhaust brake is actually commanded more closed after delete so should be better, of course you have to use it most of the time or it will seize up. If you plan on removing the cat then perhaps removing the exhaust brake for q cleaning might be in order. I would also remove the intake manifold and clean the heater grid. I also think the transmission tune is a must.
Old 11-03-2015, 06:22 PM

I run the EB everytime I drive the truck. I got the truck with 54,000 miles so not sure what is was like before.

Not sure how to clean the heater grid. I have read that several people are removing the grid heater, I'm guessing this is to improve air flow into the engine.
Old 11-03-2015, 06:33 PM

Received 36 Likes on 32 Posts
This is what it looks like under the intake manifold or might look like. As you can see it's pretty easy to clean off.

DSC002801
Old 11-12-2015, 10:02 AM

Uptade.....

Performed deletes this past weekend.

Not too impressed with the immediate mileage gains. I seem to have only gained about 1.5 miles per gallon.

I'm hoping this gets better after I blow any access soot out of the turbo and rest of the hiding places.

Took a short trip (approx. 300 miles) towing a light stock trailer and averaged 13.2 Mpg.

I am running the XRT on TOW tune with timing set on level 2.

Can someone help me figure out how I can improve on the mileage????

I'm not running any gauges yet..... so I am trying to be conservative on the tuning.

Thanks
Old 11-18-2015, 01:43 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
13 mpg is the best I get when towing with my '12. I get 19-22 solo depending which tires are on it. My best result came with RaceMe tuning and a 48" straight through muffler. I gained some by removing stock muffler and replacing with a 5 " tail pipe. Hard to believe I lose 3 mpg by going up one tire size!
Old 11-18-2015, 01:45 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
13 mpg is the best I get when towing with my '12. I get 19-22 solo depending which tires are on it. My best result came with RaceMe tuning and a 48" straight through muffler. I gained some by removing stock muffler and replacing with a 5 " tail pipe. Hard to believe I lose 3 mpg by going up one tire size!