4th Gen High Performance and Accessories 2010 and Up Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for fourth generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories.

Deleting the 6.7: A guide to making it run right! (4th Gen Section) UPDATED 6-6-11

Search this Thread

Old 06-07-2011, 02:59 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Awesome 2010+ write up Blake. I can't wait 'til my waranty is up.
Old 06-18-2011, 08:58 PM

Very nice write up Blake. I'm planning on getting a 2011 within the next few months and I'm figuring out what I'm going to do with the truck delete wise. My plans are to run it to around 5000kms to let any potential warranty bugs show their ugly face and then its time to let that 6.7 run like it should! I have a couple questions though about the deletes, particularly the H&S setup since that is what I'm planning on buying.

1) I read through H&S' install guide for the EGR valve and cooler delete, nice and clear instructions But I've see guys connecting and running heater hoses instead of blocking them off? Is there any advantage to doing this other than allowing the coolant to flow freely? H&S also didn't say anything about draining the coolant? Its not required I take it?

2) With the H&S Minimaxx, does it come with a pyrometer probe or is that an extra that I have to buy? I will be installing a pyro either way.
Old 06-19-2011, 08:46 AM
Administrator / Severe Concussion Aficionado

Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts
SansSparkyPlugs

The bypass rather than plug debate has been argued many times, with no clear answer or victor. I myself just had my 08 plugged with no issues. Youre gonna loose a little coolant during the delete process. Just make sure you top it off if needed.

Im pretty sure that the H&S comes with the pyro probe. But, maybe someone else can chime in with a for sure answer.
Old 06-19-2011, 05:04 PM

Originally Posted by Blake Clark
SansSparkyPlugs

The bypass rather than plug debate has been argued many times, with no clear answer or victor. I myself just had my 08 plugged with no issues. Youre gonna loose a little coolant during the delete process. Just make sure you top it off if needed.

Im pretty sure that the H&S comes with the pyro probe. But, maybe someone else can chime in with a for sure answer.

Thanks for the info Blake. I don't want to have to redo anything down the road, hence the research on the subject.

H&S users, what say you about the pyro?
Old 06-19-2011, 06:14 PM

you can get the hs with or without the pyro. it does cost extra to get it with. great thing about getting the egr/cooler delete is you can drill and tap the block off plate in the back by #6cyl . much easier then drilling and tapping the manifold
Old 06-19-2011, 06:19 PM
The Guru

I would get a pyro, depending on what program you run, you might have have egt issues. Pulling my RV in stock mode on my programmer, into a stiff head wind I could pull 1200-1300 deg's. Empty in mild I can see into the 1500's.

Just done some driving on my 2010 in the last few weeks. I get better fuel mileage on wild than on stock. Not sure if its real world numbers yet, just filled up my tank and going to try one tank of fuel to see if I can pull 20mpg for my average. I get better fuel mileage running mild than stock. Right now I'm pulling 15-16mpg for a tank on stock. The truck hardly smokes on wild.
Old 07-21-2011, 02:31 PM
cwg

My 2012 is on order and soon after I get it I plan to delete the DPF, NOX canister and the Catalytic converter. I’m guessing the best way to do this is to order the 2007-2011 Dodge 6.7 STAINLESS DPF Delete/Downpipe Kit No Bungs from H&S? Or what about just the 2007-2011 Dodge 6.7 DPF Delete Pipe No Bungs, this would keep the stock down pipe and converter, performance and mpg wise would there be a big difference between the two? is the stock muffler sufficient, or does it need to be replaced as well? I’d like to keep it somewhat quiet. For warranty issues I’m leaving the egr side alone for now.

I plan on getting a Smarty Jr for tuning and turning off the DPF system

Thanks for any info and advice
Old 08-30-2011, 04:31 PM

Gen 3 question

I am also new to 6.7 and am looking at a 2007. Just to confirm that is a gen 3? Your awesome wright up was for a gen 4 but i believe all the delete info is the same for a gen 3 is that correct? Can you clarify this statement.

ABSOLUTELY NOTHING!

This is the largest change from the 3rd to 4th gen trucks.....

On the 4th gen trucks both the Smarty and the H&S systems do not require any action under the hood, they simply command any and all EGR functions to "0". Nothing need be removed, or unplugged. You only have to remove hardware if you wish too!

What additional steps are required on a Gen 3?
Thanks A ton.
Paul
Old 08-30-2011, 05:00 PM
Chapter President

Location: misplaced Idahoan stuck in Albuquerque, Roughneckin on RIG 270
Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by pvantuyl
I am also new to 6.7 and am looking at a 2007. Just to confirm that is a gen 3? Your awesome wright up was for a gen 4 but i believe all the delete info is the same for a gen 3 is that correct? Can you clarify this statement.

ABSOLUTELY NOTHING!

This is the largest change from the 3rd to 4th gen trucks.....

On the 4th gen trucks both the Smarty and the H&S systems do not require any action under the hood, they simply command any and all EGR functions to "0". Nothing need be removed, or unplugged. You only have to remove hardware if you wish too!
What additional steps are required on a Gen 3?
Thanks A ton.
Paul

false

only when doing lets say Smarty software "S" is nothing required to be unplugged or removed. when using "ME" you HAVE to remove the dpf or you will get a check engine light within 3 miles. I have been on the beta team for smarty jr for a few months now and I tried it just for giggles and to post any codes that may have come up. reason being is that it WILL burn up a DPF faster than you can blink. It will happen on BOTH H&S and Smarty. In H&S tuning, it askes you if DPF is still installed.

There are changes in 10-11 trucks but not very noticable. The downpipe on the last few 10 and 11 trucks I have worked on has a temp sensor in the down pipe PRE cat on the downpipe. There is also a change on 09-current trucks with the EGR cooler coolant piping as 09- current has a quick disconnect pressure fitting rather than a nipple like 07.5-08.
Old 08-30-2011, 06:53 PM

Originally Posted by cbrahs
false

only when doing lets say Smarty software "S" is nothing required to be unplugged or removed. when using "ME" you HAVE to remove the dpf or you will get a check engine light within 3 miles. I have been on the beta team for smarty jr for a few months now and I tried it just for giggles and to post any codes that may have come up. reason being is that it WILL burn up a DPF faster than you can blink. It will happen on BOTH H&S and Smarty. In H&S tuning, it askes you if DPF is still installed.

There are changes in 10-11 trucks but not very noticable. The downpipe on the last few 10 and 11 trucks I have worked on has a temp sensor in the down pipe PRE cat on the downpipe. There is also a change on 09-current trucks with the EGR cooler coolant piping as 09- current has a quick disconnect pressure fitting rather than a nipple like 07.5-08.
Umm No

Misinterpretation error...

If you look at the tutorial it addresses the exhaust deletes separate from the under hood deletes. So, Suuuuuuurveys says....

True!

pvantuyl

There is a 3rd gen specific part to the tutorial here

https://www.dieseltruckresource.com/...t-t273345.html

And thank you for the kind words.
Old 09-09-2011, 04:40 PM

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Ok so I read the Whole Entire Thread (thanks a lot, very helpful by the way). So I want to do the stealth deletes for my '11. I have about three choices for an "untraceable" system:

Smarty Jr. programmer with down pipe (cat delete) and DPF delete- approx. $750
H&S XRT programmer down pipe and DPF delete pipe, approx. $900
H&S Mini Maxx programmer/monitor, down pipe & DPF delete, approx. $1100

Question- if I leave it on stock power do I really need the gauges? (only applies to the first two options, as the Mini Maxx is a monitor too, correct?).
Old 09-09-2011, 04:44 PM
Chapter President

Location: misplaced Idahoan stuck in Albuquerque, Roughneckin on RIG 270
Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by SOhappy
Ok so I read the Whole Entire Thread (thanks a lot, very helpful by the way). So I want to do the stealth deletes for my '11. I have about three choices for an "untraceable" system:

Smarty Jr. programmer with down pipe (cat delete) and DPF delete- approx. $750
H&S XRT programmer down pipe and DPF delete pipe, approx. $900
H&S Mini Maxx programmer/monitor, down pipe & DPF delete, approx. $1100

Question- if I leave it on stock power do I really need the gauges? (only applies to the first two options, as the Mini Maxx is a monitor too, correct?).
not to ruin your parade but no such thing as an "untraceable" delete on the 6.7 as even the smarty will leave a trace in the ECM

to answer your question, if you are not pulling hard and only looking for mileage gauges won't be needed but highly suggested as even a stock 6.7 EGT's are stupid high.
Old 09-25-2011, 06:24 PM

Does Smarty Jones "as I like to call it" "the race horse" have a programer for my 2011 6.7 yet? Its killing me. I want to "Blake" delete mine but no use in it if I can't get a programer.
Old 09-25-2011, 06:31 PM

Originally Posted by Shipyardman
Does Smarty Jones "as I like to call it" "the race horse" have a programer for my 2011 6.7 yet? Its killing me. I want to "Blake" delete mine but no use in it if I can't get a programer.
Nope

And guess who is about tired of waiting.
Old 09-25-2011, 08:43 PM

Me!!!

Quick Reply: Deleting the 6.7: A guide to making it run right! (4th Gen Section) UPDATED 6-6-11