4th Gen High Performance and Accessories 2010 and Up Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for fourth generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories.

AFE Cold Air Intake Problem

Search this Thread

Old 02-02-2012, 06:41 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
AFE Cold Air Intake Problem

I just bought a 2011 Ram 3500 used from a Dealer with 26,000 miles on it. There has been modifications too it and some of the mods taken off. It has an AFE intake on it. I have only had it for 500 miles. It has been running strong until......it stopped one day and didn't start, turnover but no fire. about 50 miles before it stopped it threw a P0101, MAF sensor code. I had it cleared and it didn't come back.

When the truck stopped and didn't start, I had it towed to a Dealer. The dealer explained that the Problem was related to the MAF sensor, Since the Intake is not OEM it was giving false readings to the ECM, "Elevation" problem, told the ECM to shut the Engine Off.

the Dealer told me I need to get a new MAF sensor, Air Intake sensor, ECM Flush, and replace the TPM module. $1300 fix

So really, can an Aftermarket intake cause this big of a problem.

My fix, I'd like to go back to a Stock Air Box. Any recomendations or what else I should be looking into...

If it had a programmer on it.....who knows..
Old 02-02-2012, 06:55 PM
Administrator / Severe Concussion Aficionado

Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts
Id have a little talk with the dealer.

If they sold it without warranty then your stuck. If they did not express that the warranty was void, and sold it to you with the intake on it, Id make them eat it.

You may need a new MAF sensor and intake sensor, but Id like to know how in the heck it ate the TIPM.
Old 02-02-2012, 07:09 PM

No Warrenty from the selling dealer? Only 500 miles - I'd be all over the selling dealer to fix the thing. If they took it in on trade with mods that they pulled off and then it quits - no,no,no.

If it had been modified and they sold it to you without disclosing the 100k warrenty was voided, they were wrong. If they sold it to you with informing you the warrenty was voided - I hope you stole it, because this is where you pay it back.

A programmer might be the cheaper and easier fix - I'm sure one of the good guys who know for sure will jump in.
Old 02-02-2012, 07:10 PM

Talk about Larry got that right.

No warranty, delete it.

1300 bones would cover that.
Old 02-02-2012, 07:13 PM

TPM module is the module that all u'r fuses and stuff goes into. When I bought the truck they didnt say it had mods or not. Teach me to not look under the hood. I made sure they told me about the 3 year 36 though.
Old 02-02-2012, 07:14 PM

I know what the TIPM is. Totally Intergrated Power Module.

Id like to know how a sensor failing took out a 700 dollar unit???
Old 02-02-2012, 07:15 PM

Sorry bout this monkey wrench, bought it in Oregon and I live in CA. So stuck with emissions.

Ya, I don't know how that would take it out either. Do aftermarket Cold Air intakes use OEM sensors or are they different.
Old 02-03-2012, 12:36 AM

Just a thought on the TIPM. Some "service" techs are parts replacers. Swap this in and see what happens types. Some look in there and maybe see wher the block was modified for some reason and say "its not the way it should look - change it". They aren't paying the bill.

I had something like that happen to me with my fuurd. The guys who did the wheelchair lift mod had spliced into a wiring loom with some of their stuff. A single wire broke at the soldered splice and this joker wanted $1000 to change the entire loom in that area. I got it to a guy I trusted who fixed it in 15 minutes and charged $100.

Personally I'd see a lawyer in the morning. Son, you got ripped on this one. I bet all sorts of things will show up if you get it checked. As for smog testing - keep your fingers crossed, but don't hold your breath. Are the DPF and NOX still on the truck?
Old 02-03-2012, 04:32 AM

They use the factory sensors.
Old 02-03-2012, 10:20 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
If the CAI doesn't have a Cali EO number on it, it won't pass the visual smog check. There are some parts on a pending list which can be found on the Ca Air resource Board website, but they are dwindling rapidly! Does Oregon have any smog rules? Maybe the truck wouldn't pass Oregon which should give you some ammo if they sold an illegally modded truck...?
Old 02-03-2012, 11:31 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Beast2B
If the CAI doesn't have a Cali EO number on it, it won't pass the visual smog check. There are some parts on a pending list which can be found on the Ca Air resource Board website, but they are dwindling rapidly! Does Oregon have any smog rules? Maybe the truck wouldn't pass Oregon which should give you some ammo if they sold an illegally modded truck...?
Oregon has a DEQ test for gas powered vechiles {cars & trucks} They have to pass certain emission control standards or you fail then it is time to take it to a tune up guy to detune it, then pass, then put it back to where it was to begin with if you want it to run smooth, bottom line, they want your money.. Diesels are excempt from that test. I just renew my tags when due no test. I live out of Portland Area live in Centra lOregon..
Old 02-03-2012, 09:49 PM

Men....I have been blessed today by the Dodge Gods. The truck quit running on me at the Dealer in Visalia, CA. Then they pretty much confounded everything that the previous dealer told me explaining that there was no problem with the AFE, TIPM, or ECM.....Frig'n Lift pump was only making 58 psi. StarGeezer is right....some places are just parts replacers to see what happens. And they explained that there is no way its out of warranty.

So they are going to warranty the work and I'm back on the road.

All in all.....I got bad info, really bad info that would have cost me $1300 from the first dealer....

Thanks for the help gents..... Drive ON!
Old 02-03-2012, 11:46 PM

Good for you Pal!!! So glad it was nothing like it might have been. It was going to be potentualy really bad, or mearly horrible with where the first guy was heading. There really are days where the heavens shine on you.

Keep on posting as you and new ride get to know one another. They are great trucks!

Glad we could help a little.
Old 02-04-2012, 04:40 AM

Glad you got if fixed.

Just curious. 58 is a typo right? No way the stock pump is making that kind of pressure.
Old 02-04-2012, 05:46 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Maybe he was talking about the CP3? Not enough pressure to even fire the injectors, correct?

Quick Reply: AFE Cold Air Intake Problem