4th Gen Engine and Drivetrain-2010 and Up 6.7 liter Engine and Drivetrain discussion only. PLEASE, NO HIGH PERFORMANCE DISCUSSION!

Trailer towing question

Search this Thread

Old 06-24-2011, 07:50 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Trailer towing question

I have posted in the past about the shutter when I start out from a stop, Yesterday when backing my empty dump trialer (4800#) up a fairly steep driveway the truck started to bounce like a chattering clutch but my truck is an auto,,, I gave it more fuel and the rear tires spun. It bounced hard enough for my employee to say wow Dodge says thats OK. Any of you guys that pull a big trailer have this issue? My gut tells me its a bad converter
Old 06-24-2011, 10:03 AM

Did you try shimming the carrier bearing down yet?

Mine is at a 4x4 shop trying to get rid of this shutter. With my 10k lb. traval trailer hooked up it feels like a I'm riding a pogo stick.
Old 06-24-2011, 10:26 AM

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Sounds like you had some wheel hop. If you have a 4x4 go to Low range and it will be better.
Old 06-24-2011, 11:32 AM

Sounds like the rear diff is set at the wrong angle some how from dodge. Possibly at a certain load and certain angle of the trailer its unloading or loading up your rear end and making it be at that bad angle. With the rear diff set at the wrong angle your springs will try to hold things in place but they will give easy with the power in these trucks. It will feel like your shaking. Going to 4low will help but does not solve the problem. I would find out what the spec for the rear diff is supposed to be and check it myself or have a 4x4 shop check it.. Get that shop to write down their findings and go to dodge with it if your specs are way out.
Old 09-11-2011, 04:46 PM

This is the problem I have with my gooseneck. I have a 2011 3500 crew 4x4 6 sp manual with 3.42's. I thought I screwed up and got the wrong r & p ratio. If the trailer is loaded (15k) and I back up or take off on a hill of any sort it just starts hopping!!!!!!! Is this the same problem being discussed or too much weight for the truck?
Old 09-11-2011, 07:16 PM

I have same problem, the dealer does not acknowledge the problem. I tried putting ladder bars on to help the problem, but it' still there. It shutters loaded and unloaded. Just get use to it.
Old 09-11-2011, 07:23 PM

My 2wd does the same thing when I get it stuck. It's just spring wrap. Pain in the ...... but it's a Dodge thing!
Old 09-11-2011, 07:57 PM

I can't get used to it....this is my work truck and it hops so bad you have to stop. This isn't right and I am going to find someone who has the answer.
Old 09-11-2011, 09:29 PM

Originally Posted by gibby560
I can't get used to it....this is my work truck and it hops so bad you have to stop. This isn't right and I am going to find someone who has the answer.
Do you have the two piece driveshaft or the one piece shaft? The two piece seem to be more likely to suffer from this problem.

The shop I took mine to shimmed the carrier bearing with a 1/2" plate and the shutter is much better. There is still a shutter with my camper hooked up and we are going to lower the back 2" to get a perfect angle on the shaft.

Appointment is for the end of the month. I hope it solves the issue.

I am so happy with the truck, overall it is awesome.
Old 09-12-2011, 03:14 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I have pulled heavy with a gooseneck and bumper pull. Don't have any issue with my 10' short bed. I even towed in deep sand with no issues. Hope you guys can get Dodge to fix the problem for you.
Old 09-12-2011, 05:48 AM

Originally Posted by Stargeezer
Do you have the two piece driveshaft or the one piece shaft? The two piece seem to be more likely to suffer from this problem.

The shop I took mine to shimmed the carrier bearing with a 1/2" plate and the shutter is much better. There is still a shutter with my camper hooked up and we are going to lower the back 2" to get a perfect angle on the shaft.

Appointment is for the end of the month. I hope it solves the issue.

I am so happy with the truck, overall it is awesome.
I have not thought about this. I am going to the dealer today and I will have them look at this. Thank you.
Old 09-12-2011, 10:18 AM

Do you have air bags? My dually slightly did this until I played with the air pressure. Now it doesn't do it.
Old 09-12-2011, 12:08 PM

I have a 2011.5 with an auto tranny that has had the shudder since I drove it off the lot. Took it in Friday for this and a couple other small issues and the service manager said that the two-piece driveshaft is the problem and that Dodge hasn't released a shim kit for the '10 and '11's yet, but would call me when it comes out.

I'm just glad it's not in the transmission or rearend.
Old 09-12-2011, 01:41 PM
Chapter President

Location: misplaced Idahoan stuck in Albuquerque, Roughneckin on RIG 270
Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
go to 4 wheel parts and order a shim kit for about $40. why wait for dodge to come up with a fix.
Old 09-12-2011, 06:59 PM

Originally Posted by Shootist
I have a 2011.5 with an auto tranny that has had the shudder since I drove it off the lot. Took it in Friday for this and a couple other small issues and the service manager said that the two-piece driveshaft is the problem and that Dodge hasn't released a shim kit for the '10 and '11's yet, but would call me when it comes out.

I'm just glad it's not in the transmission or rearend.

Thats good news to hear maybe enough people have complained, I can't wait to get the shims in. I thought it was a hopeless issue.

Quick Reply: Trailer towing question