4th Gen Engine and Drivetrain-2010 and Up 6.7 liter Engine and Drivetrain discussion only. PLEASE, NO HIGH PERFORMANCE DISCUSSION!

STOCK 6.7L longevity??

Search this Thread

Old 07-05-2012, 10:41 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
STOCK 6.7L longevity??

Hi Guys,

I just traded my 2003 Dodge Ram 3500 for a 2010 Dodge Ram 3500 with 26,000 miles. I'm still trying to get used to the new world of 6.7L....

I just changed engine oil in the 2010 before I used it to pull RV on vaction for the first time. It only had 2,500 miles on the oil and it was VERY BLACK and VERY sooty smelling... This CANNOT be good for all the internal engine bearings, seals, etc.. I plan to change it every 5k miles until it I delete some things.

With all this said, what is the longevity of a 6.7L that is completely stock (assuming a person maintain it via Dodge recommendations)?? Will it run 300-500k miles likethe 5.9's? Surely the Cummins engineers took all this into consideration? I do not want it to be "wore out" at 100k miles....Anybody else thought about this?
Old 07-05-2012, 11:17 AM
Administrator / Severe Concussion Aficionado

Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts
Guy over on CF had a truck that was used for hot shotting and went right at half a million before parting it out. Some repairs along the way, injectors, water pump etc. He may have even replaced the head gasket, I can recall, but it was worked hard every day and lived to that milage.

I will not be wore out at 100k. Plenty of the older 6.7s are getting close to the 200k mark dead stock and still going strong. My buddy has an 07 with 140k on it, and has JUST deleted, after he drove mine. Truck runs just fine.
Old 07-05-2012, 11:35 AM
Chapter President

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Based on research I have done and talks the 6.7 has become the most reliable Cummins B engine to date. When in stock form the failure rates are very low and Cummins is not fooling around with any failures or warranty claims. The repairs are all now closely documented and any anomalies are flagged for Cummins to call the local dealer for parts and notes.

A local dealer replaced a head gasket, not under warranty due to other factors, and Cummins/Dodge still contacted them for all the parts, ECM downloads and Tech notes for the work. They are being pretty tight on any dealer repairs.
Old 07-05-2012, 01:20 PM

Lil Dog,

What do you mean when you say "They are being pretty tight on any dealer repairs"?
Are you saying it is becoming difficult for a dealer to cover a repair even under warranty?
Old 07-05-2012, 02:16 PM

the new emissions crap on cummins engines is wreaking havoc all through their entire engine line. anything with regen and DEF is having serious warranty issues. over the last winter anybody with a brand new cummins engine in their kenworth was at the dealer with engine related problems. some companys lost whole fleets, some for almost all of what little winter we had.
i dont know how true this is for Dodge trucks, but the issues that where reported here in 09/10 have moved up to the semis and cummins customer support is having to move mountains.
Old 07-05-2012, 05:04 PM
Chapter President

Originally Posted by Blessed
Lil Dog,

What do you mean when you say "They are being pretty tight on any dealer repairs"?
Are you saying it is becoming difficult for a dealer to cover a repair even under warranty?
The discussion I had with the owner of a local dealer is that all parts and services that are done on the 6.7 are monitored. The repairs are done and no problem with that, but all the documentation has to be there for any major repairs. I mean they (Dodge/Cummins) called the tech that was in the shop working on this truck and read back his notes to him. They have access to their online systems for any notes made at any dealer. Time for the foil hats.

This isn't a bad thing IMHO.. if the engine has that good of a track record that small repairs are the anomalies, then they have figured out the system.

That being said the other news I had is that the 2012 model year will stretch out as far as possible to delay the release of the new SCR system that is regulated on the 2013 years. So in rough terms, the 2012 models will be on the assembly lines till December 31, 2012 and then there will be only a 4-5 month release of the 2013 units until 2014 start to roll. having the only engine on the market without SCR has been a major competitive advantage as far as the sales numbers in the past 6 months.
Old 07-06-2012, 05:51 PM

Originally Posted by Lil Dog
The discussion I had with the owner of a local dealer is that all parts and services that are done on the 6.7 are monitored. The repairs are done and no problem with that, but all the documentation has to be there for any major repairs. I mean they (Dodge/Cummins) called the tech that was in the shop working on this truck and read back his notes to him. They have access to their online systems for any notes made at any dealer. Time for the foil hats.

This isn't a bad thing IMHO.. if the engine has that good of a track record that small repairs are the anomalies, then they have figured out the system.

That being said the other news I had is that the 2012 model year will stretch out as far as possible to delay the release of the new SCR system that is regulated on the 2013 years. So in rough terms, the 2012 models will be on the assembly lines till December 31, 2012 and then there will be only a 4-5 month release of the 2013 units until 2014 start to roll. having the only engine on the market without SCR has been a major competitive advantage as far as the sales numbers in the past 6 months.
Great, now the 2012's will be the holy grail of 6.7's just like the '07 5.9's!
Old 07-07-2012, 06:33 PM

Received 28 Likes on 26 Posts
to change the subject a little, would some one post a picture of the oem tail pipe on a 2010 dodge w/ a 6.7 cummins....thanks
Old 07-16-2012, 10:19 PM

6.7 longevity my '11 has a little over 220k on it. I purchased truck new in april of 2011 its all stock and i use it to hotshot its loaded everyday. Replaced a thermostat and sensor..
Old 07-18-2012, 01:09 PM

Originally Posted by HOTSHOT11
6.7 longevity my '11 has a little over 220k on it. I purchased truck new in april of 2011 its all stock and i use it to hotshot its loaded everyday. Replaced a thermostat and sensor..
That is a GREAT testimony to a STOCK 6.7L! (I realize deleting would be much better, but in the meantime I feel better about the EGR/NOX/DPF not damaging my engine).

HOTSHOT11,
1. How much weight are you towing?

2. I assume you have the 68RFE auto--Has the transmission given you any trouble?

3. Have you had any other repairs (i.e. suspension, eletrical, fuel injection, front end, rear end, etc)? Thanks!
Old 07-18-2012, 01:17 PM

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Originally Posted by Blessed
That is a GREAT testimony to a STOCK 6.7L! (I realize deleting would be much better, but in the meantime I feel better about the EGR/NOX/DPF not damaging my engine).

HOTSHOT11,

2. I assume you have the 68RFE auto--Has the transmission given you any trouble?

3. Have you had any other repairs (i.e. suspension, eletrical, fuel injection, front end, rear end, etc)? Thanks!
Yeah, but he drives it like the 6.7 was meant to be driven. For the rest of us who use them as daily drivers as well as toy-towers the engine doesn't get worked enough for the emissions to function properly. Better for engine longevity to remove that stuff...
Old 07-19-2012, 12:03 AM

Originally Posted by blessed
that is a great testimony to a stock 6.7l! (i realize deleting would be much better, but in the meantime i feel better about the egr/nox/dpf not damaging my engine).

Hotshot11,

2. I assume you have the 68rfe auto--has the transmission given you any trouble?

3. Have you had any other repairs (i.e. Suspension, eletrical, fuel injection, front end, rear end, etc)? Thanks!

the weight towed varies from just flat bed loads to 40' trailer i dont have a cdl so my gross combined is never over 26,000. Ive hauled across the us including canada, mtns you name it. Tranny is still strong. Ive had the bearings in both front and rear diffs relaced at 210,000 miles and replaced seals proir to that which i believe the bearings were bad for a while and thats why i had to replace the seals
Old 07-19-2012, 12:12 AM

Originally Posted by sohappy
yeah, but he drives it like the 6.7 was meant to be driven. For the rest of us who use them as daily drivers as well as toy-towers the engine doesn't get worked enough for the emissions to function properly. Better for engine longevity to remove that stuff...

i agree. I use my truck and would delete all that stuff but im constantly stopping at dot scales and really not sure what theyd say about that now my opinion if you own a 6.7 is to routinly drive the truck like its stolen! Ive never had my dpf light on.. Another thing im not sure but some trucks have the ability to idle up to 1,100 by setting the cruse in park. I do this everytime i park and let it idle for any long periods of time
Old 07-19-2012, 12:54 PM

Originally Posted by HOTSHOT11
i agree. I use my truck and would delete all that stuff but im constantly stopping at dot scales and really not sure what theyd say about that now my opinion if you own a 6.7 is to routinly drive the truck like its stolen! Ive never had my dpf light on.. Another thing im not sure but some trucks have the ability to idle up to 1,100 by setting the cruse in park. I do this everytime i park and let it idle for any long periods of time
Couple Things:
1. I don't mean to be dumb, but how does a person set cruise to 1,100 RPM's in Park?

2. To also help prevent DPF issues, my local dealer service manager told me to turn ON the exhaust brake ALL the time. I assume all of you do this?
Old 07-19-2012, 06:18 PM

I always use my exhaust brake! Empty or loaded.
What im talking about setting the cruse in park is my truck has an idle up feature not sure if they all do basically the truck is running (idling) you reach over turn on the cruise control then hit the set acc truck then idles up to 1,100 i know its pretty commom on the 3500 automatics not sure about the stick models or 2500's

Quick Reply: STOCK 6.7L longevity??