4th Gen Engine and Drivetrain-2010 and Up 6.7 liter Engine and Drivetrain discussion only. PLEASE, NO HIGH PERFORMANCE DISCUSSION!

Seriously thinking G56

Search this Thread

Old 11-02-2014, 08:00 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Seriously thinking G56

It's time for a new truck. I guess it's only natural that there seem to be more automatic transmission problems in these trucks, given the autos outnumber the sticks about ten to one.

Any 2014 G56 nightmares out there?
Old 11-02-2014, 01:01 PM

Received 44 Likes on 39 Posts
Not in the market for a new truck right now, but I'd be going for a G56 too. I think the new autos are pretty durable, but I'd rather take care of the shifting myself.
Old 11-02-2014, 05:47 PM

Received 39 Likes on 31 Posts
They are still using the DMF's for noise suppression with the aluminum cased transmission. You can't beat the stock clutch for operating within the engineered limits. But if you're planning a power adder an upgraded clutch will be in order along with the accompanying gear rollover noise.
I like being in charge of shifting but would probably elect to go with the Aisin if I got a new one.
Old 11-02-2014, 06:53 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Drive a G equipped truck and note RPM's at highway speeds..... do the same with the auto. Personally I haven't done this with the newer trucks, but noted alot of people were "ok" with the towing, but hated the increased rpm with the stick at highway speeds which equated to less mpg. IMHO you won't find many g-56 complaints because there are not many sold. I wouldn't own one (g-56) with the current auto available.
Old 11-03-2014, 01:12 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I went with the manual transmission on my 2014 and love it! I had a 2010 and a 2012 auto. I put the TS Stryker right away to make up for the lower factory power ratings. My truck should run about 440 hp and 860 tq flywheel clutch has been just fine so far pulling just over 40,000 pounds I am just shy of 10,000 miles with just over 8000 miles.
I went with the 3.42 gears truck runs just over 2100 at 80 mph

Exhaust brake works so much better with the manual to. I really think the only reason ram derates the manual is to push higher profit autos.
Also if Ram didn't offer a manual trans, I would have bought another superduty
Old 11-27-2014, 05:46 PM

I have a 2014 Ram 2500 G56

I love it. I drove the autos along with several Powestrokes and Duramax trucks.

Number one reason I bought the G56 was I hate the 3.42 gears in the auto. Just lugs the motor all the time. Especially towing in the mountainous terrain we have. The 3.42s work well with the manual though.

I drive a lot of two lane highway (60-70 MPH) and I hate the gearing in the auto. If I could of gotten at least 3.73s or preferably 4.10 years I probably would of gotten a 3500 Aisin.

The other thing I hate about the auto is the poor throttle response and dead pedal.

Honestly with what ram offers in a single rear wheel automatic, if I had to have an auto I probably would of bought a Duramax.
Old 12-03-2014, 09:22 PM

Love my G56 also, my only comment right now is when its gets colder, its kinda hard for shifting until the oïl warms up, but people have been telling me to warm it up with the tranny engaged and the t-Case in neutral so that the oïl moves, havn't tried it yet.

I'll second what the others have said, the Exhaust brake works like a charm with the manual and the 3.42 works perfectly for me, but i havn't towed heavy with it yet so can't comment on that.

I was in the same boat when I was tinking about ordering and I don't regret it, love my G56. been a standard driver all my life (well beside my first car which was a 1980 trans-am) and I coudln't see me going to auto's anyways.
Old 12-05-2014, 12:46 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
No trans issues in 125k mi on my G56 but can't say I'd get one with the new crop of auto trans' available now.
The G isn't going to hurt you mpg wise regardless of whether it runs a few hundred rpms higher on the hi way, but even after 7yrs almost with the truck I still grab for 7th gear sometimes when I'm haulin down the freeway and not paying attention.
The clutch will not last too long but there are proven aftermarket clutches, just have to dump the $ on one when the time comes. Then again I got a buddy with a '10 Ram manual trans, bone stock and he's at about 100k now on the original clutch.
I'd still get an auto, even though I like the stick.
Old 12-05-2014, 04:14 PM

Originally Posted by Grit Dog
No trans issues in 125k mi on my G56 but can't say I'd get one with the new crop of auto trans' available now.
The G isn't going to hurt you mpg wise regardless of whether it runs a few hundred rpms higher on the hi way, but even after 7yrs almost with the truck I still grab for 7th gear sometimes when I'm haulin down the freeway and not paying attention.
The clutch will not last too long but there are proven aftermarket clutches, just have to dump the $ on one when the time comes. Then again I got a buddy with a '10 Ram manual trans, bone stock and he's at about 100k now on the original clutch.
I'd still get an auto, even though I like the stick.
Yep,I agree completely. If Dodge had a 6 speed auto 5.9 in '07,I'd have gone that route. I like the G-56 on long trips but stop and go traffic for extended periods gets old real fast.
Old 01-21-2015, 09:01 PM

G56 problems

Originally Posted by Relic
It's time for a new truck. I guess it's only natural that there seem to be more automatic transmission problems in these trucks, given the autos outnumber the sticks about ten to one.

Any 2014 G56 nightmares out there?
I have a little bit to add about the G56. My experience comes from a few friends that have the G 56 as well as my fathers truck. My cousin has an 05 , 3500 with G56. The transmission Locked up while driving at 60 mph and had to slide to a stop . My fathers 08, 5500 had to replace clutch and flywheel at about 32,000 miles under factory power. It does, however , haul heavy loads every day. Another friend has an 08 , 4500 as well as a 13, 3500 cab chassis . Both of those have had flywheel replaced. The 4500 has had flywheel and clutch replaced 3 times. It now runs a south bend clutch, so does his 3500, witch was at about 35,000 miles. My fathers truck has south bend clutch and flywheel , and so does my cousin .
My advice, tranny seems pretty good for the most part, but not bullet proof. The factory clutch and flywheel suck. Plan on replacing it if you tow, plow or increase the power.
I went for the aisin in my 2014 , 5500. Only have 5,000 miles on it, hope it holds up.
Old 01-22-2015, 06:54 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
I don't own one but have driven a 2500 G56 with the 3.42. Feels like a perfect match for daily driving and towing duties. The DMF clutch is the weak link in the armor but that can be fixed.

Kind of wanting to swap out to a 3.42 on my truck.
Old 01-22-2015, 11:24 AM

Received 36 Likes on 32 Posts
After he replaced the clutch with a DD my son completely destroyed the G56 in his 2011, first reverse went then the rest of the transmission, even with 3.73's reverse is too high a gear if you tow really heavy. He now has a 2013 with Aisin and 3.42 no problems with the clutch or transmission and just before Christmas he towed a 30ft sea can on a 40ft goose for about 8 hours in very high head winds, the truck couldn't get into 6th gear but that's what gears are for. Another reason to have an automatic is... while out of town he just injured his left foot and the local hospital 2 hours away couldn't do an xray but they thought it was broken so he drove the 6 hours from the hospital to home for an xray, the roads were like glass and he couldn't have done it in a G56 truck.
Old 01-22-2015, 01:47 PM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
I have owned many auto'ed dodge trucks. I wouldn't buy another auto if you paid me. The autos just feed the dealers. I had to rebuild both my first gens and second gens at or around 125k in stock form. I was always pulling the pan and resetting the bands on my second gen after I put a new fuel plate in the p7100. Forget about getting home with an auto problem. At least if you blew the clutch in your G56, you can slap shift it home. My newest truck a 2012 in sig, is the most reliable I have ever owned. I have messed around with stuff and disconnected things and it has never gone into the dreaded limp mode. In my opinion, the G56 may not be the most stout trans offered, but it does give the driver more control over shift points. Sometimes I want to go down the road in 4th at 60 to make a little noise. Just do your homework and put together the right truck and don't let the dealer shove something on the lot in your face. You can build a truck cheaper than they sell them for. I did.
Old 01-22-2015, 03:37 PM

Originally Posted by Busboy
After he replaced the clutch with a DD my son completely destroyed the G56 in his 2011, first reverse went then the rest of the transmission, even with 3.73's reverse is too high a gear if you tow really heavy. He now has a 2013 with Aisin and 3.42 no problems with the clutch or transmission and just before Christmas he towed a 30ft sea can on a 40ft goose for about 8 hours in very high head winds, the truck couldn't get into 6th gear but that's what gears are for. Another reason to have an automatic is... while out of town he just injured his left foot and the local hospital 2 hours away couldn't do an xray but they thought it was broken so he drove the 6 hours from the hospital to home for an xray, the roads were like glass and he couldn't have done it in a G56 truck.
Yeah,I don't see why NV and Mercedes supply such a high geared reverse? A granny like 1st would be prefect.
Old 01-31-2015, 10:33 AM

I've always had a manual transmission in my tow vehicle. The G-56 has been great with 3.73's except for reverse. At 156,000 miles I had a SB clutch installed. I like the control the manual gives you. The auto's I've driven seem to be always shifting up or down on even the smallest grades. Friends and family with auto's have always had to rebuild them at some point. I've always had to replace the stock clutch at some point also so there is that. Also I live in the desert southwest and I believe the manual keeps a lot of heat out of the engine when towing.

Quick Reply: Seriously thinking G56