4th Gen Engine and Drivetrain-2010 and Up 6.7 liter Engine and Drivetrain discussion only. PLEASE, NO HIGH PERFORMANCE DISCUSSION!

Lost boost pressure

Search this Thread

Old 05-13-2016, 01:44 PM

Received 36 Likes on 32 Posts
Lost boost pressure

I'm currently on a cross country trip hauling my 5ver and although I lightened it up some it's still around 12ish. Second day out in brutal cross winds towing in 5th gear with the 68RFE I got the check engine light and after finding somewhere to pull over the single code said loss of engine boost pressure. After checking the boots I removed the connector on the sensor for a look, it was spotless inside but that generated 3 codes for temp and pressure even though the key was off. After reset the boost pressure was very erratic and jumping around and could easily jump up into the 60's or higher, it had to be the sensor but do you think a Chrysler dealer had one anywhere but 250 miles away and a price of $121. I decided to make the trip to the city and there was a Cummins dealer who had the sensor for $44, I changed it out in the parking lot in the rain and all is good again. I had to turn off the defuel for boost pressure in the mini maxx to make the truck driveable but it sure was nail biting seeing boost pressures that high.
Old 06-11-2016, 09:25 AM

Originally Posted by Busboy
I'm currently on a cross country trip hauling my 5ver and although I lightened it up some it's still around 12ish. Second day out in brutal cross winds towing in 5th gear with the 68RFE I got the check engine light and after finding somewhere to pull over the single code said loss of engine boost pressure. After checking the boots I removed the connector on the sensor for a look, it was spotless inside but that generated 3 codes for temp and pressure even though the key was off. After reset the boost pressure was very erratic and jumping around and could easily jump up into the 60's or higher, it had to be the sensor but do you think a Chrysler dealer had one anywhere but 250 miles away and a price of $121. I decided to make the trip to the city and there was a Cummins dealer who had the sensor for $44, I changed it out in the parking lot in the rain and all is good again. I had to turn off the defuel for boost pressure in the mini maxx to make the truck driveable but it sure was nail biting seeing boost pressures that high.
Still on the road but I've discovered I think the exhaust brake was sticking on after hard driving then backing off to idle then when trying to go again just huge clouds of black smoke and zero boost pressure. The new sensor is clean as a whistle and still looks brand new. It did this on and off for quite a few days but the last couple thousand miles have been good with not a single problem. Funny thing is my son appears to be having the exact same thing happening on his 2013. Has anyone else experienced this happening.
Old 06-23-2016, 03:33 PM

Got home today and pleased that the exhaust brake has fixed itself from just driving it hard. The symptoms I had were like a dead pedal then lots of black smoke, without the boost pressure indication I wouldn't have know there was no boost at all. My son started driving his 2013 hard and it seems to have now fixed his too.