4th Gen Engine and Drivetrain-2010 and Up 6.7 liter Engine and Drivetrain discussion only. PLEASE, NO HIGH PERFORMANCE DISCUSSION!

Limited slip axle?

Search this Thread

Old 10-17-2010, 06:38 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
if i dont have limited slip can i get it put in and if so how much.....
Old 10-17-2010, 07:13 PM

it depends on where you get it and the cost of the mechanic...
Old 10-17-2010, 07:15 PM

can i get it right from dodge or where would the best place to get it at be
Old 10-17-2010, 07:28 PM

I would go to a reputable driveline shop. should be cheaper/ better quality. my faith in chrysler isn't near as high as cummins...
Old 10-17-2010, 08:24 PM

"All wheel drive is worse than 4 wheel drive"

Really! I will meet you on an icy hill with my Subaru AWD anytime. I have the 4x4 Dodge (with anti-spin) and this car it runs rings around the 4x4.

Actually the post reply I wanted to say is - folks, the new Dodges have not had limited slip clutch posi since they finished with the Dana70 & 80 in 2002. The offering now is a centrifugal gear locker that does not work at low speeds. Absolutely pointless with this application. IE if you are moving at 20MPH why do you need limited slip? You are already moving and do not need it.
Old 10-17-2010, 10:57 PM

LOL
Old 10-19-2010, 02:19 PM

I have the limited slip on my 06, I haven't had any complaints. Not sure about your Suburu on the mountain Challenger
Old 10-20-2010, 09:19 PM

Really the car and truck have different applications but the common ol' icy roads up here in Canada - the Subaru has it beat hands down. And the tires are not even aggressive.
Old 10-21-2010, 07:28 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by DodgeChallenger
Really the car and truck have different applications but the common ol' icy roads up here in Canada - the Subaru has it beat hands down. And the tires are not even aggressive.
Subaru makes a great all-weather car, no doubt, but the truck is over twice the weight of the truck. That, in and of itself, makes up for most of the difference in performance, IMHO. Not to mention the wheelbases, weight distribution, tire footprint, etc.

Give me a well-built 4x4 ATV and it'll run circles around a Subaru. Give me a 4x4 Ram and it'll run circles around a 4x4 motorhome....

It's just another way to look at the Law Of Gross Tonnage, which is how I usually drive.
Old 10-21-2010, 08:08 AM

Originally Posted by sheriffav8r
Subaru makes a great all-weather car, no doubt, but the truck is over twice the weight of the truck. That, in and of itself, makes up for most of the difference in performance, IMHO. Not to mention the wheelbases, weight distribution, tire footprint, etc.

Give me a well-built 4x4 ATV and it'll run circles around a Subaru. Give me a 4x4 Ram and it'll run circles around a 4x4 motorhome....

It's just another way to look at the Law Of Gross Tonnage, which is how I usually drive.
Agreed. You simply can't compare the two. A light 4WD will shine in certain environments, and fail in others. You can't tow, or do any heavy duty 4 wheeling in a Subaru, because it isn't designed for that. Comparing a Subaru and a Dodge has nothing to do with AWD vs 4WD.
AWD keeps you on the road, and is designed for that. 4WD is designed for off road, and hard work. Both have their places, and neither is better or worse- just purpose driven.
Old 10-21-2010, 12:25 PM

Originally Posted by sheriffav8r

An interesting contradiction to that - my heavier 4WD's have always done better on snow covered paved roads, even when that snow hasn't been plowed and is a foot or more deep. But take them on a dirt road covered with snow, and you'd best have a winch... Just depends on use...
Old 10-21-2010, 03:43 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by edc
My Yukon Denali is all wheel drive, my last Bronco had limited slip on the front and rear axles -- why does the RAM HD only offer it on the rear axle? (I realize the Denali is a different system, but why not limited slip on both axles like the Bronco had?) Ed
Memories, my 89 Bronco had front and rear plus dual front shocks, you would think today we would have better options instead of less. My Subaru outback went better in sand and snow than any truck I have had. Same goes for my 08 Avalance, full or part time even on dry roads.

Last edited by 15 Digger; 10-21-2010 at 03:45 PM. Reason: add info.
Old 10-22-2010, 12:45 PM

Originally Posted by 15 Digger
Memories, my 89 Bronco had front and rear plus dual front shocks, you would think today we would have better options instead of less. My Subaru outback went better in sand and snow than any truck I have had. Same goes for my 08 Avalance, full or part time even on dry roads.
The lift I had for my '06 RAM 4X had an additional shock both sides up front - reduced the porpoising (sp?) that seems to accompany these heavy front end trucks. And an earlier Jimmy that would've porpoised badly had the dual shocks as a factory option - guess they figure nowadays that they've engineered the things so they don't need that extra shock...perhaps that's a comment on the engineering? Truthfully, the best 4WD in the snow I've ever had was a Ford Quad Van - likely due to the weight and it's distribution. Something about that body being over the rear gives them a bit more traction than the pickups - which might be partially why the Subaru does so well...
Old 10-27-2010, 10:41 AM

Originally Posted by ramtradxb
An interesting contradiction to that - my heavier 4WD's have always done better on snow covered paved roads, even when that snow hasn't been plowed and is a foot or more deep. But take them on a dirt road covered with snow, and you'd best have a winch... Just depends on use...
Good comparison! My Ram is the same deal - it's no good on a snow covered dirt path.
Old 10-30-2010, 09:22 PM

I am going to try and have the last say here (ha ha) . A few years ago the first snow came to Western Canada in the form of 8" in 2 hours. The TransCanada highway turned into a parking lot for everyone. I was 30 miles back in the mountains with every one else parked because THE HEAVY 4X4's would slide sideways towards the ditches on the banked corners. Along comes Barry in the Subaru driving around all the obstacles - semis, buses and the heavy 4x4s. Think I sold a few subarus that day. Yes! It is only good on the slippery highways though. That I concede.

Quick Reply: Limited slip axle?