4th Gen Engine and Drivetrain-2010 and Up 6.7 liter Engine and Drivetrain discussion only. PLEASE, NO HIGH PERFORMANCE DISCUSSION!

Greasing Front Drive Shaft

Search this Thread

Old 01-03-2012, 09:33 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Greasing Front Drive Shaft

I know everyone is probably sick and tired of hearing about this but I wanted to share my story with everyone to see if there are other similar issues out there.

I have a 2010 Club Cab 6.5' bed 4x4 with about 18k miles on it now. I had the dealer do the first oil change at 6k because I am tired of fighting the first oil filter off of a new car. I did the second at 12k and now the third at 18k. This is because of the notification on the information screen letting me know its time to change the oil.

At the first oil change I used the needle fitting that looks like a ball pump.
Greasing Front Drive Shaft-needle-fitting.jpg
I saw some grease out of the back side and called it good for that change.

However when I tried the same fitting on this change I couldn't get any grease to go into the hole. I even bought another fitting I have seen on here to use, its another type of needle fitting that seems to fit on top of the hole.
Greasing Front Drive Shaft-needle-fitting-2.jpg

I still couldn't get the hole to line up and was getting grease everywhere except where I needed it to go. So I broke down and scheduled a service appt. at the ******* to show me how they do it and what fitting they use.

The mechanics first response was that it was only for the commercial grade trucks that all other trucks don't need to be greased. This ticked me off, and after finally convincing them to put it on the lift I showed him where it was, he was amazed. So after alot of frustration, he ended up taking the drive shaft loose at the front end and pushing the shaft up to be able to access the hole and finally get grease to come out the back side like its supposed to.

This seems like a big pain for such a simpel thing. Makes me wonder about other oil changes if they bother greasing it or just say that it dosn't need it. Sorry for rambling on but thought some may benefit from this.

Let me know if anyone else is having the same troubles, if its just a '10 thing or more than just those models.

Thanks,
Old 01-03-2012, 09:35 AM

Really, S t e a l e r is all "*"? should I have said dealer, even though they stole $57 for 30 mins of work?
Old 01-03-2012, 11:31 AM

My 07.5 has that pesky little fitting. I tried the needle first with some success, and then bought the "correct" (second picture) part. Could not get it to line up with the fitting, so I put the first inch of the the output end of it in a vise and carefully gave it about a 30 degree bend. Chinese steel is not hard to bend, but it will kink easily. Problem solved.
Old 01-03-2012, 02:31 PM
Administrator / Severe Concussion Aficionado

Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts
Originally Posted by Chuck Diesel
Really, S t e a l e r is all "*"? should I have said dealer, even though they stole $57 for 30 mins of work?
Yeah, its an edited word. As much as I agree with you, and many of them are highwaymen in modern day form, there are a few out there who are still good dealers, and out of respect for them, its an edited word.
Old 01-04-2012, 07:27 AM
DJM

Ok, so I have a 2010 2500 4x4. There is a sticky note, label, under the hood saying to make sure to grease the front axle at each oil change. I asked the dealer and was told oh no, that doesn't apply to your truck. Does anyone know for certain, yes or no if it is supposed to be done ?

Thanks

Dan - nj
Old 01-04-2012, 07:28 AM
Administrator / Severe Concussion Aficionado

Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts
At at minimum I would grease it every oil change. If not more in wet, nasty, dusty, or off road conditions.
Old 01-04-2012, 06:12 PM

Received 36 Likes on 32 Posts
Many people are not familiar with the "flush" type grease fitting, they are very common on modern aircraft. If you do not use the correct grease adapter and just jamb something into it the ball that seals in the fitting will become jammed open and allow dirt into the lube point. the next time you go to lube the fitting you just drive the dirt further into the fitting until it eventually becomes plugged. If you don't have the correct needle adapter it would be better to leave it until you do. There are many different shapes and lengths of needle adapter and as already been posted it is possible to bend a straight one slightly to fit.

The grease point is there you just have to look closely
Old 01-06-2012, 03:18 AM

I have the second pictured needle that's 6 inches long. I've had no problem greasing my fitting once I line the hole up by letting the truck role a little to better expose the grease spot. Only thing I've noticed is if you pump the joint full it will spin grease all over the underside of your truck. First time I pumped it full of grease until I noticed grease come out around the joint fittings, the next time I saw all the grease spun everywhere so I only pumped 3 times and things are cleaner now.
Old 01-11-2012, 12:58 PM

So I gather that the best option is to get a 6" tip and bend it about 30 degrees? Hoping that you don't kink the fitting?
Old 01-11-2012, 04:19 PM

You can get to the fitting without bending the tip if the fitting is sideways. (on my 07) With the bend (easily done, just do it carefully) I can line up the fitting straight down where I can see it. I just jack up the passenger side front wheel and turn the drive shaft until I can get to the fitting. Q-tip works well for a pre-cleaning. Hardest part was finding the fitting the first time!
Old 01-11-2012, 06:41 PM
Always a day late, and a dollar short.

Either one, grease didn't puke where it wasn't suppose to.
Old 01-11-2012, 11:05 PM

You have to press and hold the needle in place for the grease to go in.
Old 01-12-2012, 10:56 AM
"How in the heck do I change the phrase in between my user name and avatar?"

I just replaced my factory garbage with greasable joints and a greasable slip shaft when it came due. A regular grease gun end works wonders after that . I know you have a new truck and don't want to dump extra cash into it but somethings are just worth the money....I think I have about $125 worth of joints and slip shaft in mine!!!
Old 01-13-2012, 07:18 PM

For those of you that have not been able to find the fitting, here's a pic. I don't take credit for the pic, grabbed it from somewhere, but I post it periodically......

Name:  lubefitting.jpg
Views: 4689
Size:  69.1 KB
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
lubefitting.jpg (69.1 KB, 153 views)
Old 01-13-2012, 07:30 PM

Is there one of these on both ends of the shaft? I found the one shown by the carden joint. but did not find one closest to the diff. Did I miss it?

Quick Reply: Greasing Front Drive Shaft