4th Gen Engine and Drivetrain-2010 and Up 6.7 liter Engine and Drivetrain discussion only. PLEASE, NO HIGH PERFORMANCE DISCUSSION!

fuel filter change??

Search this Thread

Old 01-25-2019, 11:33 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
fuel filter change??

My 2014 3500 has started telling me I need to change the fuel filters. It only has 42,000 miles and runs like a champ towing a 40 ft fifth wheel. My question is.....is this truck smart enough to know that the fuel filters are dirty? Or..is that reminder generated because a certain time or mileage has been reached? The reminder came up almost precisely at 60 months and 40,000 miles. Makes me go HMMMMMM????
Old 01-26-2019, 05:13 AM
Winner winner chicken dinner!

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
Your supposed to change both of them every 15,000 miles. It’s in your manual and it’s well documented regularly scheduled maintenance. I seriously hope at 40k they have been changed 2x already. Fuel filters are not something worth skimping on.

Order the front and rear filter and do it in your driveway to save some serious cash, most garages charge a fortune for FF changes. It’s easy.
Old 01-26-2019, 05:35 PM

I hear what you are saying, but I had an 07 that I know didn't get a new filter till 120000miles. It suddenly started working a bit bad and I knew right away what to do. The 2014 I now have runs like a champ. No sign of any fuel issues at all. What I am trying to find out is....Does the truck sense a restriction and throw a message as a result. Or does it throw the message because a certain time or mileage has passed. I'm thinking the latter when I read about people trying to reset things so the message won't come up even after changing the filters.
Old 01-26-2019, 06:56 PM

Received 20 Likes on 16 Posts
Originally Posted by way up north
I hear what you are saying, but I had an 07 that I know didn't get a new filter till 120000miles. It suddenly started working a bit bad and I knew right away what to do. The 2014 I now have runs like a champ. No sign of any fuel issues at all. What I am trying to find out is....Does the truck sense a restriction and throw a message as a result. Or does it throw the message because a certain time or mileage has passed. I'm thinking the latter when I read about people trying to reset things so the message won't come up even after changing the filters.
The fuel filter life is based solely on a 15,000 mile counter.

Your truck.....your warranty. You can either heed @RyeThomas ‘s advice (and the maintenance schedule) or simply live on the edge in hopes you don’t have a catastrophic fuel related failure with FCA telling you to pound sand due to a lack of proper maintenance.

The 2013 and newer trucks have the best fuel filtration system out there, yet some people choose to ignore the maintenance schedule.

Old 01-27-2019, 01:24 PM
Winner winner chicken dinner!

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
Sir it is most certainly your truck and you do as you wish but I just don’t understand the logic of not protecting you very expensive HPCR fuel system. These filters are a drop in the bucket vs injectors or an injector pump. Not to mention even at 15k the rear one is ugly looking.
I assume you change your oil and filter at the recommended interval.

anyway to your question, there is nothing more than a computer algorithm that guesses your fuel filter lifespan based on driving condition. There is no pressure based restriction system. That would be a really nice set up but for us, it doesn’t exist.

Best of luck, Rye.

i am shocked you didn’t have issues with the 07, the older single filter set ups were hard on injectors. I have replaced more than one set of injectors on third gen 5.9’s.
Old 01-27-2019, 06:47 PM

The 07 now lives with my son in the north, Labrador, where it is a plow truck in the winter and a RV hauler in the summer. Still works like a new one. Yes I guess we are lucky....Knock on wood.
I suspected that the message was a timed thing rather than an indicator of the filter condition, and that seems to have been confirmed in the feedback I've gotten.
Old 04-10-2019, 08:36 AM

I have continued to hound Chrysler to come clean about what makes that "change fuel filters' light come on. My dealership continued to say that the truck "sensed" that the filters needed changing. And; went so far as to say that the only way to stop the light from coming on was to actually change the filters. I put the matter before Chrysler Canada, who either couldn't or wouldn't say anything.
Then I decided to call the service Manager at a different dealership. This nice man said he would like to consult with his diesel tech to confirm his understanding. Came back saying that the only time the truck will throw a message is when there is water in the fuel. As for the change filter light, it is strictly a timed thing and can easily be erased using the buttons on the steering wheel.
After all that, I have 2 filters ordered and will change them based on the recommendation that comes for the truck.
Old 01-11-2020, 09:26 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I was trying to change my rear fuel filter last night as a cold front was blowing thru (winds gusting at 15 to 20 mph) and it was brrrrrr!! I tried and tried getting it off to the point on almost bending the handle of the filter pressure wrench in half. I started thinking that cold metal expands during cold, so I got my wife's hairdryer and heated up the fitting at the base and it came right off!!