4th Gen Engine and Drivetrain-2010 and Up 6.7 liter Engine and Drivetrain discussion only. PLEASE, NO HIGH PERFORMANCE DISCUSSION!

2012 2500 Tranny Slam

Search this Thread

Old 07-30-2012, 02:14 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2012 2500 Tranny Slam

Hello to all, This is my only problem so far with my new 2012 2500 quad cab, short bed HO. On warm days, like say mid 80's and up with the truck at operating temp, if I'm trying to park and have to shift from reverse, neutral then to drive, it SLAMs into drive with such force that it feels like its gonna snap a u-joint. Or if I pull off to fuel up, after fueling, putting it into drive will slam it into gear. It kills me to feel this in my new truck.

To try to give you a better visual, picture in your head popping the clutch on a standard, but it doesnt stall.

Asked dealer to look at it, they found nothing. At least I have it documented.

BTW- All stock with 6,500 miles of easy highway with 3,000 of those miles towing a 3k lbs pop-up camper.

Other than that, the LED's under the drivers mirror are out and dealer ordering a $478 mirror just to replace them.

Thanks for any info.
Old 07-30-2012, 04:21 PM

I own an '11 lb cc srw 4x4. Mine was also terrible. Took it bk to the dealer they reflashed the tranny, adjusted the pressure they told me that the the 3500 have high pressures and that was normal i have 225k on the truck it still does it and i dont have any problems still. But it was irritating
Old 07-30-2012, 10:18 PM

Thanks HotShot.
So if I got this right, they flashed the tranny, but the problem continued? Then they fed you the line that they have high pressures..which according to them is normal, but we'll reflash it anyway, and the problem continues. Again, I'm happy with it being documented at my dealer. After past problems at bow tie dealers with my older vehicles, I keep every reciept. I have a feeling this is an upcoming battle.

Thanks again...at least I'm not alone. Anyone else with this slamming tranny??
Old 07-31-2012, 09:51 AM

Mine does it too. A couple tranny guys also said it was high line pressure from the pump. They said it was normal. They also said that one of the main reasons the trannies in our earlier trucks didn't hold all that well was the lack of line pressure and fluid at lower RPM's under high torque scenarios. Hopefully this fixes the issue. I know my bil's built goerend tranny does the same thing. I find if I pause in neutral between going from reverse to drive it isn't as dramatic. If I don't pause I even get a noise that sounds like a tire breaking lose slowly on concrete with a low pitched groan.

I know nothing about auto trannies and this is the first I've had for about 12 years.
Old 08-03-2012, 01:37 AM

My does the same but not all the time.If I am going back and forth it will slam and then it will be fine. I check trans fluid and it sits in the middle of the stick below the two top holes.Dealer said level is ok.Book said between the two top holes.Who to believe?
Old 08-03-2012, 08:43 AM

Originally Posted by retiredchuck
My does the same but not all the time.If I am going back and forth it will slam and then it will be fine. I check trans fluid and it sits in the middle of the stick below the two top holes.Dealer said level is ok.Book said between the two top holes.Who to believe?
I have the same thing. It does it some times, but not all the time. But, just noticed this happening about 1.5 weeks ago.
Old 08-03-2012, 09:10 PM

Originally Posted by staarma
If I don't pause I even get a noise that sounds like a tire breaking lose slowly on concrete with a low pitched groan.

I know nothing about auto trannies and this is the first I've had for about 12 years.
Ditto on both comments. Though I only get the low pitch groan every other or every third time.

Hearing it is a common thing, I guess either Dodge will have a massive replacement campaign, or we're all good. Time will tell.