4500 / 5500 - Chassis Cab Trucks Talk about your commercial trucks here. We realize there are differences with these compared to the regular pickups, so we have provided a place to discuss the commercial versions only.

new 4500 dually

Search this Thread

Old 02-20-2008, 08:06 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Nice Job!!!! That is what I am going to do with my next truck. I need the payload of a 4500 but don't want a flatbed.
Old 02-20-2008, 01:27 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Now a 10' bed for the 4500!
Old 02-20-2008, 06:49 PM

already working on it!
Old 02-24-2008, 07:15 PM
BCB

wow... now that is sweet!... how does it ride?
Old 02-24-2008, 09:36 PM

rough, but there is an airbag system available for ride comfort but you will loose some capabilities. The stock spring system is designed for payload, and if you dont need that much payload, then it can be a smooth ride, if you still need the payload, then you are stuck with a rough ride.
Matt
Old 02-25-2008, 09:19 AM

looks good.. dont know about the fender flares on the front.
Old 02-25-2008, 09:51 AM

That is awesome. It looks really good.
Old 02-25-2008, 03:43 PM
BCB

Originally Posted by vtxracer
rough, but there is an airbag system available for ride comfort but you will loose some capabilities. The stock spring system is designed for payload, and if you dont need that much payload, then it can be a smooth ride, if you still need the payload, then you are stuck with a rough ride.
Matt
cool. where can i see some more info. one this setup? like how much you lose?
Old 02-25-2008, 09:19 PM

Originally Posted by Mr. Big Ram
So now, that is a "legal" California pick up truck, correct? No scales required?

Cali will not let us get away with that! They want/need the money.

Unless you put a camper shell on it, you WILL stop at the scales, participate in the BIT instection program, and have that ugly white sticker on you doors indicating you max GVW.

Only private passenger vehicles, pickups and RV's are exempt from stopping.

Pickup Truck
471. A "pickup truck" is a motor truck with a manufacturer's gross vehicle weight rating of less than 11,500 pounds, an unladen weight of less than 8,001 pounds, and which is equipped with an open box-type bed not exceeding 9 feet in length. "Pickup truck" does not include a motor vehicle otherwise meeting the above definition, that is equipped with a bed-mounted storage compartment unit commonly called a "utility body."

The 4500 and 5500 don't fit into the category, heck my 3500 doesn't even fit in the definition of a pickup! Can't wait till' the money grubbing posse finds out.

According to this, I'm a criminal:

It is a misdemeanor for a person or company to operate any vehicle subject to the BIT Program without having submitted an application for inspection and the required fees to the CHP, or without the required inspection having been performed within specified time limits. For persons or companies regulated by or registered with the Department of Motor Vehicles (DMV) or the Public Utilities Commission (PUC), failure to submit the application and fees, or failure to submit to the required inspection, may jeopardize DMV operating authority.

The guys with the F450's are finding out now.....Google for " California F450".
Old 02-25-2008, 10:34 PM

Location: Hutchinson, KS (yup, finally sold the house in OKC!)
Wow! Just followed that thread on Dieselstop. Sounds like another reason to stay as far from the Left coast as possible.
Old 02-25-2008, 11:06 PM

I wonder if this is why so many 2008 F450's are already for sale.

Most I found have less than 4000 miles on them!
Old 02-26-2008, 12:16 AM

Originally Posted by CrazyCooter
Cali will not let us get away with that! They want/need the money.

Unless you put a camper shell on it, you WILL stop at the scales, participate in the BIT instection program, and have that ugly white sticker on you doors indicating you max GVW.

Only private passenger vehicles, pickups and RV's are exempt from stopping.

Pickup Truck
471. A "pickup truck" is a motor truck with a manufacturer's gross vehicle weight rating of less than 11,500 pounds, an unladen weight of less than 8,001 pounds, and which is equipped with an open box-type bed not exceeding 9 feet in length. "Pickup truck" does not include a motor vehicle otherwise meeting the above definition, that is equipped with a bed-mounted storage compartment unit commonly called a "utility body."

The 4500 and 5500 don't fit into the category, heck my 3500 doesn't even fit in the definition of a pickup! Can't wait till' the money grubbing posse finds out.

According to this, I'm a criminal:

It is a misdemeanor for a person or company to operate any vehicle subject to the BIT Program without having submitted an application for inspection and the required fees to the CHP, or without the required inspection having been performed within specified time limits. For persons or companies regulated by or registered with the Department of Motor Vehicles (DMV) or the Public Utilities Commission (PUC), failure to submit the application and fees, or failure to submit to the required inspection, may jeopardize DMV operating authority.

The guys with the F450's are finding out now.....Google for " California F450".
Hmmm.... interesting, so me and my hauling buddies with 3500's with pick up boxes and hauling OD "freight" have been bypassing Cali. scales for the past 3 yeras now when we are supposed to be stopping??? ****** @ the Cajon scales told me when i got a level 1 inspection to stay the hell away from them, thats why they tried to mess with me on the inspection. I even had a 48' hi cube container on at the time... on my 40' trailer!
Old 02-26-2008, 12:18 AM

Originally Posted by vtxracer
that is correct. And as far as the filler panel goes, we have tried to have one made that matches the truck and they are at least two months out. But the ones we make now are color matched, and have tie down rings on the top to secure your cargo. It is steel and not plastic. We have some better photos showing how they are shaped, the top is perfect, it's the side bed/body lines that are hard to duplicate within the price we are charging. So we went with the steel one with the rings for now.
I take it that first sentence was directed at me?
Old 02-26-2008, 12:19 AM

Originally Posted by CrazyCooter
I wonder if this is why so many 2008 F450's are already for sale.

Most I found have less than 4000 miles on them!
CC, what do you haul?
Old 02-26-2008, 10:12 AM

Originally Posted by Mr. Big Ram
CC, what do you haul?

I don't haul anything for hire.

A large, heavy travel trailer and toys while on vacation is about all.

I am very carefull to not let the vehicle's apearance look commercial, but I do own a business and use it for such sometimes.

Quick Reply: new 4500 dually