4500 / 5500 - Chassis Cab Trucks Talk about your commercial trucks here. We realize there are differences with these compared to the regular pickups, so we have provided a place to discuss the commercial versions only.

aisin questions

Search this Thread

Old 04-18-2011, 03:17 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
aisin questions

Does your aisin upshift really weird? while pulling a 13k gooseneck trailer i am experiencing horrible upshifting. the trans seems to hurry out of 2nd gear and into 3rd way too early, if im on a hill it bogs the crap out of the motor. whether i'm at half throttle or full there is no change in power. the other thing i experience is over 35 mph everytime i touch the throttle it will downshift and if i let off it will upshift immediately when going by rpms there is really no need to do so. it just seems to be shifting way too much.

Is this what others are experiencing? maybe a reflash?

I cant speak highly enough about how well this trans downshifts and applies ex brake, i wouldnt change anything here. Am i just too used to the 05 with the 48? thanks for any info.
Old 04-19-2011, 10:22 PM
With age comes the cage

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
X2 on the weird / fast up-shift, , mine is throwing a P0700-(TRANSMISSION CONTROL SYSTEM MIL REQUEST) as well. The last I checked there is a flash for the Aisin I will know more after my visit to the dealer next week..
Old 04-24-2011, 05:34 PM

Originally Posted by Colo_River_Ram
X2 on the weird / fast up-shift, , mine is throwing a P0700-(TRANSMISSION CONTROL SYSTEM MIL REQUEST) as well. The last I checked there is a flash for the Aisin I will know more after my visit to the dealer next week..
Are you at stock HP and getting this code or are you tuned up?

When did the AISIN flash come out ??
Old 04-24-2011, 05:37 PM
With age comes the cage

Stock.. I heard of the flash last summer, sorry I don't have the # for it.

I should know more after the trip to the dealer..
Old 04-24-2011, 06:15 PM

My 5500 is going in this Wednesday for the tie rod recall I will tell them to check to see if there are any flashes for the AISIN, I have had no Problems with the tranny.

I am also stock but I am thinking of deleting for better mpg...I am not looking to add HP. It makes me laugh when guys add 175 HP tow 20,000 pounds grenade there tranny and wonder why it happened!!!!

Keep us posted about what your dealer says about the flash and the code.
Old 05-02-2011, 05:49 AM

Did you ever figure out the tranny code?
Old 05-04-2011, 10:09 AM
With age comes the cage

Originally Posted by Carl Peter
Did you ever figure out the tranny code?
It's at the dealer now.. who is throwing it's own IDTenT error code.. They can't get the codes off the transmission or the ECM.

Update:

I am now being told my led lights are causing the problem (even though no lamp out on the dash).. Keep in mind I have the resisters to go with the lights and all circuits are within the parameters posted on the up-fitters guide. They worked just fine for over 2 .11 years with no codes being thrown.

More to follow..
Old 05-06-2011, 12:08 AM
Chapter President

Location: misplaced Idahoan stuck in Albuquerque, Roughneckin on RIG 270
Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
been doing some searching to see if I can find something that might help you fellers out. here is what I found that sounds like what you are experiencing. taking a shot in the dark, Colo has had battery issues in the recent past. this case below deals with the gear ratio gettin messed up in the TIPM. Taking a shot in the dark, voltage issues cause some crazy things as the ECM will start shutting off systems to conserve voltage for example, the throttle valve light will come on when a single or both batteries are not at a state of health to maintain proper voltage. could a low voltage issue caused a change in the gear ratio for the transmission to shift too early? could have but I can't prove it without hooking up the truck to the witech and monitoring the system and checking ratio's. Just been searchin for some answers and might help you guys. hope it does.

Case Number K20921197
Vehicle Issue Auto trans shifts may be abnormally early (premature) or late (delayed).;Applies to 2008 and later (DM) models equipped with the AISIN AS68RC 6-Spd automatic transmission. Automatic transmission shifts may be abnormally early (premature) or late (delayed). Trans shift timing seems to be incorrect.
System or Component Early Upshift / Upshift Too Quick,Late Upshift / Upshift is Delayed;Customer Concern (No DTCs);Automatic Transmission / Transaxle;Yes - Intermittent,Yes - Continuously
Recommendation Abnormally early (premature) or late (delayed) trans shifts may be caused by an incorrect rear axle ratio selected from the list in the TIPM. Verify rear axle ratio and use the scan tool to select the proper ratio from the list in the TIPM. This procedure is usually performed at the factory and is required for proper auto trans shift timing.

Modification Date 06/10/08 3:42 PM
Old 05-06-2011, 12:48 AM
With age comes the cage

That cbrahs guy is a fine feller A credit to this forum indeed
Old 05-08-2011, 03:20 PM

my transmission does the same wierd shifting. I just tuned it so it has better power and the shifts seem to stay longer in the right gear. However I still shift alot with the button to try to keep things under better control. Knowing and experiancing the tranny now I would have gone with a manual and just upgraded the clutch whne it failed.
Old 05-08-2011, 05:19 PM
With age comes the cage

Update:

The dealer via Detroit determined that the LED lights in my b/u circuit was causing the codes. I installed the appropriate resistors and it seems to be working / shifting fine with no codes. This perplexes me as it worked fine for 2.11 years with no codes..
Old 05-09-2011, 08:16 AM
Chapter President

Location: misplaced Idahoan stuck in Albuquerque, Roughneckin on RIG 270
Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
Update:

The dealer via Detroit determined that the LED lights in my b/u circuit was causing the codes. I installed the appropriate resistors and it seems to be working / shifting fine with no codes. This perplexes me as it worked fine for 2.11 years with no codes..
only thing I can think of is that the TIPM controls the lights too and MAY have had an issue associated with the trans IF one of the trans circuits goes thru and or uses a same wire as the lights. who knows
Old 05-09-2011, 11:25 PM
With age comes the cage

I guess things don't always "Add Up" the way they should..
Old 05-14-2011, 12:33 PM

Update:

What resistors did you use I have Leds on mine for blinkers and back up lights, but the blinker blinks to fast because the ecm thinks the bulb is out because of the low draw. The guy who put my body on neglected to do this, so now I need to get it done.

Thanks
Old 05-25-2011, 04:51 PM
With age comes the cage

Carl,

You need to figure out what brand of lights you have and their amp draw, The rule of thumb is a minimum of 2 and max of 4 amps.

I used the RL 650 resistors on the turn and b/u circuits, I did not need them on the tail lights as my total light ampacity for each side was 2.04 amps..

Resistors are on the bottom of this link:

http://www.superbrightleds.com/cgi-b...rake-turn.html

Your bed lights should have been tied into the respective L & R truck light harnesses.

The trailer lights should have been tied into the trailer tow harness. I would advise you to install one of these:

http://www.etrailer.com/Wiring/Tow-Ready/119190.html

Your choice $55 now or a bunch later...
The truck up fitter harness has 2 power wires that are powered by the small fuse block near the cab.(save running a wire for the modulite) This info is in your owners manual and on the body builders guide here:

http://www.dodge.com/bodybuilder/200...crrcircdef.pdf

Link to body builders guide:

http://www.dodge.com/en/business/body_builders_guide/

Read the section on lighting modification..

Hope this helps

Last edited by Colo_River_Ram; 05-25-2011 at 07:31 PM. Reason: updated information

Quick Reply: aisin questions