3rd Generation Ram - Non Drivetrain - All Years Talk about the 2003 and up Dodge Ram here. PLEASE, NO ENGINE OR DRIVETRAIN DISCUSSION!.

Are you kidding me

Search this Thread

Old 03-13-2006, 11:04 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by ASHNBAK
Warrented repairs that require your vehicle to be left overnight or for an extended period of time will receive a loaner. Go to a dealer that has a rental agency on site and Chrysler will pay the bill. It makes it very easy.
Sorry that is not the case they will not give you a rental unless you bought a extended warrany that covers rental car
Old 03-13-2006, 11:06 PM

Originally Posted by bluesurf
Dodge is crappy at customer service at the dealership level. You have to call the number in the book and be very nice and show brand loyalty to them and they seem to take care of issues like that. Just give them a call and see where you get. Just be nice from what i understand if your not they just blow you off.
That is exactly what I did I called three dealers to see if anyone would give me a rental they all told me no. I called Dodge she told me if they keep my car longer then a day she will make arrangments to get me a rental.
Old 03-13-2006, 11:46 PM

Originally Posted by 2006 MEGACAB
I called Dodge to get my truck in cause its leaking some kind of fluid. They told me since I didnt not buy a extended warranty they dont give you a vehicle so I guess Im suposed to walk around for how ever long they have my truck who knows could be a day or two. While my brand new 5 week old truck is in the shop. I have had GMC's Fords and I have never been left with out a truck this is not very good customer service
I guess I am lucky.I deal with a small town dealership and love it.When my truck is in for service he gives me a used car or truck to drive every time.I have no extended warranty.coobie
Old 03-14-2006, 07:29 AM
Banned

just to clarify, my loaner is an Enterprise rental, they came to the dealer and took me to their rental shop and handed me the keys,
Old 03-14-2006, 08:52 AM

The selling dealer will usually put you in a vehicle if its in the first days,week etc.BUT if not bought there usually not and I can understand why.Not all Ford/G.M.dealers give loaners.The LOANERS get abused badly as a rule.Its NOT in the warranty to give a loaner.It nowhere states that a loaner is provided.The extended service contracts and business link offers RENTAL that the policy pays for.Also RENTALS have to be in a RENTAL program for insurance and the de value of said rental vehicle.The dealer just not go OUT there and grab anything.Most dealers today because of BAD experiances with in house RENTALS now go through rental agencys. Buy for less the invoice,big discounts etc.and want something to drive if a breakdown= a loose of profit and bottom line.If you were in THEIR shoes you'd think the same way.
Old 03-14-2006, 08:58 AM

Service advisors are paid on commission whether it is a cash paying customer, warranty or extended warranty. If DC will not reimburse the dealership for the loaner/rental then the dealeship eats it. The General Manager will have a say in what they will or will not eat so don't take it out on the Service Guys. Furthermore Service advisor's pay checks are usually tied to CSI (customer satisfaction index) that changes monthly for most dealerships. It can mean from $100-$1500 a month for these guys. You better believe that if they could do anything to please you as it effects their pay. The best thing is to contact customer service, be nice and brand loyal. They will contact the dealership Service manager and get things set up and paid for. Then usually everybody is happy
Old 03-14-2006, 09:05 AM

All of what Sled4fun said.The dealers that loan USED cars etc.One day will get bit in the butt when one is involved in a wreck etc.Lots of liabilty on this rental/loaner deal. I could tell you horror storys about loaners/rentals and even a few after the NO loaner we use Enterprise deal came about.
Old 03-14-2006, 09:30 AM

Originally Posted by Hounddog
The selling dealer will usually put you in a vehicle if its in the first days,week etc.BUT if not bought there usually not and I can understand why.Not all Ford/G.M.dealers give loaners.The LOANERS get abused badly as a rule.Its NOT in the warranty to give a loaner.It nowhere states that a loaner is provided.The extended service contracts and business link offers RENTAL that the policy pays for.Also RENTALS have to be in a RENTAL program for insurance and the de value of said rental vehicle.The dealer just not go OUT there and grab anything.Most dealers today because of BAD experiances with in house RENTALS now go through rental agencys. Buy for less the invoice,big discounts etc.and want something to drive if a breakdown= a loose of profit and bottom line.If you were in THEIR shoes you'd think the same way.
Hounddog every FORD or GMC dealer I went to has set me up with either a loaner or rented me a car everytime my truck went in the shop no questions asked and no matter if I bought it there or not. Now if I put myself in there shoes if some poor guy just bought a 45k mega cab and it only had 3,500 miles on it I wouldnt leaved him car less if he needed wheels I would do my best to get him transportation. I dont know maybe Im just all about a lil CUSTOMER SERVICE......
Old 03-14-2006, 09:34 AM

Hmm, I had my 97 gassers brakes go out one day, drove it 20 miles to the dodge dealership here in town. It just happened to be a Friday. Anyhow, the service department isnt open on Saturdays, so it would be Monday at the earliest I would get it back. The service manager said he couldnt get me a rental. I called the dealership later that evening, and asked was the manager going to be there Saturday morning. I went up there, met the manager, and explained to him my situation-my girlfriend was in town giving me rides to work, and she had to go to Raleigh that afternoon, so I wouldnt have a vehicle. I needed one bad to get to work. He gladly handed me the keys to a car, and I took off. Cost me all of $9 for gas. AND, I didnt buy my truck from them, they just did some of the work on the truck when it broke down in town. I was very pleased, and the manager always talks to me when I'm in there. It just depends on who you talk to.
Old 03-14-2006, 10:05 AM

Maybe it's just me...but I would think that if you paid 40k+ for a truck they would give you a loaner if it was in the shop for a extended period of time. But the way it is now someone can buy a 15k neon and buy a 500 dollar exteneded warranty and get a loaner car. Give me a feakin break.
Old 03-14-2006, 10:35 AM

Originally Posted by Lrdchaos
Maybe it's just me...but I would think that if you paid 40k+ for a truck they would give you a loaner if it was in the shop for a extended period of time. But the way it is now someone can buy a 15k neon and buy a 500 dollar exteneded warranty and get a loaner car. Give me a feakin break.
I agree with you 100 percent I should have bought two neons
Old 03-14-2006, 10:51 AM
Chapter President

I bought my truck used w/93,000 without any warranty except the 100,000mi. Cummins warranty mileage now is at 129,000 with no warranty to speek of. I can cofirm this is a dealer only specific practice. I have most of my repair work done at a small town local dealer. I'm offered a loner everytime I Take it in regardless of how minor or major the repair. Most of the time I never
even took it unless it had to go in overnight. I've never even bought a single vehicle from them and they treet all customers that way, cause in a small town they can't afford a bad reputation. At the larger/mega volume dealers, many times after the sale is completed all the customer becomes is a number on a computer screen.
Old 03-14-2006, 11:51 AM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Lrdchaos
Soooo, you're more important than the person with the Neon? From a customer service position, you both are equally as important. He bought what he could afford, you bought what you could afford. You both deserve the same quality of service. But atleast the guy that can afford "only" a Neon had the forsight to purchase the warranty.
Old 03-14-2006, 12:39 PM

Well I dropped my truck off this morning and I didnt want to wait for a shuttle or wait for them to tell me how long it would be there I rented a car there at the enterprise that was there a flippin suzuki for 35 dollars a day and I asked them to take out the front seat so I could fit in it being 6'5" isnt easy. Now Im just waiting for a phone call.
Old 03-14-2006, 02:11 PM

They did have transportation avail. to you.....shuttle. They did assist you in getting transportation......Rental car. If the charges and rental car type are not to your likeing contact customer service and voice your opinion to them. Maybe they can help assist you on some future service.

Loaner vehicles are very dealership specific and is eaten by the dealership unless DC authorizes it. You are probably more apt to get a loaner or rental on a low mileage warranty repair if you visit/see your salesman and voice your displeasure. They will then act like they have some control over the matter and maybe talk to their salesmanager. He/she will then talk to the service manager or service advisor and probably authorize putting you into a vehicle free of charge. This makes them look good and feel like they have earned your repeat business. He/she then bills the loaner/rental charges to the sales dept. and not the service department. The service dept. is more than happy to put you in a vehicle now as they are not paying for it.

Think of each dealership as three separate bussinesses under the same roof that do not like to honor each others warrantees or fees. They each have to maintain $$$ numbers and if the service dept. gave a car to everyone that came in their numbers would not look very good. Plus they could not afford the Latte's, shuttle driver, etc. etc.

Remember the dealership did not make the vehicle. It is a mechanical item and mechanical items do break and need service. I don't remember reading anything in my purchase contract that said I get a free loaner or rental whenever I bring my truck in for service whether it is on my dime or on theirs (warranty)

Something else you might try is to talk directly to the service manager. Just like the sales manager. He/she always wants to look good to Mr./Mrs. customer and even though they just had a meeting that morning telling their service advisors not to give out free loaners/rentals they may crack under pressure and get you one on them. Seen it happen way too many times.

Last edited by sled4fun; 03-14-2006 at 02:39 PM. Reason: spelling

Quick Reply: Are you kidding me