3rd Generation Ram - Non Drivetrain - All Years Talk about the 2003 and up Dodge Ram here. PLEASE, NO ENGINE OR DRIVETRAIN DISCUSSION!.

Would you recommend this lift kit?

Search this Thread

Old 06-02-2009, 07:30 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
If later on down the road I wan to change the rear blocks to leaf springs, how hard of a job is it?

I have been getting mixed reviews of the Tuff Country kits. I called another shop in the Houston area and without even telling the guy what kit I was thinking about he told me that he wouldnt run a Rough Country or a Tuff Country kit. When I asked him what was wrong with them he said they are just cheap kits. He said they have best luck with Superlift kits on Dodges, FabTech on Chevy, and BDS on Ford.
Old 06-02-2009, 06:34 PM

These are the two set of wheels I am looking at. Both have same backspacing (5in) both have same offset (0) same size and width (18x9) The first one is rated at 3400lbs and the second is rated at 3200lbs.

Which of the two do you guys like more?

Old 06-02-2009, 08:20 PM

Originally Posted by bansh-eman
If later on down the road I wan to change the rear blocks to leaf springs, how hard of a job is it?

I have been getting mixed reviews of the Tuff Country kits. I called another shop in the Houston area and without even telling the guy what kit I was thinking about he told me that he wouldnt run a Rough Country or a Tuff Country kit. When I asked him what was wrong with them he said they are just cheap kits. He said they have best luck with Superlift kits on Dodges, FabTech on Chevy, and BDS on Ford.
They get a bad rep because their older kits always came with big spacers which yes is cheap. But tell me this, if Superlift is so good, why is my dual steering stabilizer rusting like crazy after 6 frigging months? And the Tough Country parts look like I just put them on. Also heard of huge problems with Superlifts springs sagging. Putting on new leafs and changing out blocks isn't much work, maybe a few hours.

Unless they can give you an actual reason why Rough Country or Tough Country is no good, I wouldn't really pay attention. Maybe they don't make as much on them, because they are lower priced.
Old 06-02-2009, 08:21 PM

These are the two set of wheels I am looking at. Both have same backspacing (5in) both have same offset (0) same size and width (18x9) The first one is rated at 3400lbs and the second is rated at 3200lbs.

Which of the two do you guys like more?

Those XD's are nice rims for sure
Old 06-03-2009, 03:11 AM

Originally Posted by Mocho
They get a bad rep because their older kits always came with big spacers which yes is cheap. But tell me this, if Superlift is so good, why is my dual steering stabilizer rusting like crazy after 6 frigging months? And the Tough Country parts look like I just put them on. Also heard of huge problems with Superlifts springs sagging. Putting on new leafs and changing out blocks isn't much work, maybe a few hours.

Unless they can give you an actual reason why Rough Country or Tough Country is no good, I wouldn't really pay attention. Maybe they don't make as much on them, because they are lower priced.
They are going to make the same amount. When I called I asked how much to have a lift kit installed that I bring in. The only one that I told what kind I was getting was the 4wheelparts guy. The other two guys said that they wouldn't do those kits without me mentioning the name. I wish I had more experience with this. It puts me between a rock on a hard place. With this being my first time lifting a truck I hate to try and save a little money by going with a "cheaper" kit, but I have learned though other hobbies that in the end I would have been fine going with the none name brands. I know that it saves me alot of money if I do, I just don’t want it to cause problems.

How much of a difference would you say the rating on those wheels makes? I know the tires I am looking at are rated over both of those wheels.

Edit: I just called and talked with one of the guys at TGC. He was way cool. He answered all my questions, and actually helped me save 237 bucks. He told me that unless I go with an 8in lift there is no need to get an aftermarket track bar. He said they drop bracket is all you need to realign everything. So for the 6in kit with coils, Bilstein shocks, dual steering stabilize with Bilstein shocks shipped to my door he said 1384. That’s a hell of a deal. That give me extra money to buy other parts that I would still need if I went with a different kit. Man oh man, decisions.
Old 06-03-2009, 06:32 PM

They are going to make the same amount. When I called I asked how much to have a lift kit installed that I bring in. The only one that I told what kind I was getting was the 4wheelparts guy. The other two guys said that they wouldn't do those kits without me mentioning the name. I wish I had more experience with this. It puts me between a rock on a hard place. With this being my first time lifting a truck I hate to try and save a little money by going with a "cheaper" kit, but I have learned though other hobbies that in the end I would have been fine going with the none name brands. I know that it saves me alot of money if I do, I just don’t want it to cause problems.

How much of a difference would you say the rating on those wheels makes? I know the tires I am looking at are rated over both of those wheels.

Edit: I just called and talked with one of the guys at TGC. He was way cool. He answered all my questions, and actually helped me save 237 bucks. He told me that unless I go with an 8in lift there is no need to get an aftermarket track bar. He said they drop bracket is all you need to realign everything. So for the 6in kit with coils, Bilstein shocks, dual steering stabilize with Bilstein shocks shipped to my door he said 1384. That’s a hell of a deal. That give me extra money to buy other parts that I would still need if I went with a different kit. Man oh man, decisions.
Yes and no, an aftermarket track bar is a better choice on even a 3" lift. A bracket will not get it perfect, but a 2 way adjustable track bar will. Yes you can get away with a bracket though. TGC is touch and go to deal with, done 3 transactions with them, had a issue with them all, but they are trying to resolve them. But their lift prices are really good.

Yea just because it's a big name like KORE and a big price tag don't mean anything. I would never let another KORE product touch my truck, they are very very overrated. Tough Country seems to really make good stuff.
Old 06-04-2009, 10:00 AM

I am getting about fed up with all the run around just to get a **** lift kit installed. I called 4wheelparts my self from japan today becasue the guy never called my wife back. The guy my wife talked to told her 480 for install plus 85 for realignment. The guy I talked to said 930, 127 of which was alignment.
Old 06-04-2009, 06:59 PM

I am getting about fed up with all the run around just to get a **** lift kit installed. I called 4wheelparts my self from japan today becasue the guy never called my wife back. The guy my wife talked to told her 480 for install plus 85 for realignment. The guy I talked to said 930, 127 of which was alignment.
I'm guessing you want to get it installed so it's all ready when your back? But really, 2 days yourself and you'd have it done and just need an alignment. It is VERY simple straightforward install, no special tools needed. I did my last one with 100% hand tools, nothing fancy at all.
Old 06-04-2009, 11:58 PM

Originally Posted by Mocho
I'm guessing you want to get it installed so it's all ready when your back? But really, 2 days yourself and you'd have it done and just need an alignment. It is VERY simple straightforward install, no special tools needed. I did my last one with 100% hand tools, nothing fancy at all.
Yea thats all I want. Well that and my wife is trying to have it done kid of as a gift for when I get back. If push comes to shove I may just tell her to buy me the stuff and I will install it my self when I get back. What sucks is all my tools are in storage! I just had a place tell me 650 plus tax to do the install and alignment. Thats a good chunk I could save to add some other goodies. I may just endup doing that...
Old 06-06-2009, 08:09 PM

When you got your kit, did the instructions have a list of everythign thats needed in it? I have seen a few people say that got stopped because they needed a spring compressor, and a pitman puller. Can you not use a 2 jaw puller to get the pitman off?
Old 06-06-2009, 08:48 PM

When you got your kit, did the instructions have a list of everythign thats needed in it? I have seen a few people say that got stopped because they needed a spring compressor, and a pitman puller. Can you not use a 2 jaw puller to get the pitman off?
You don't need a spring compressor, you take pretty much everything off your axle when doing it, you just need to put things back together in the right order, the springs go in very easy. You do need a puller for the pitman arm. This is the puller I used, I had to grind the opening bigger to fit, but it worked good.

http://www.canadiantire.ca/AST/brows...m%2BPuller.jsp
I believe the instructions said a list of reccommend tools. One thing you will need is some sort of sazall to cut off the control arm bolt, because the exhaust is in the way.
Old 06-06-2009, 10:51 PM

Which control arm do you have to cut off?
Old 06-06-2009, 11:13 PM

Which control arm do you have to cut off?
Passenger side frame end upper control arm I am pretty sure it was.
Old 06-07-2009, 01:43 AM

You think a angle grinder with a cutter would do the job? I got one of those sitting around the house.

Also, what do I measure to ensure that the axle is centered properly once I install the new adjustable trac bar?

Edit: I found the instructions online that say what to cut:

Due to clearance issues with the stock exhaust, the passenger side upper
control arm frame mounting hardware will need to be
cut off.
Old 06-07-2009, 01:07 PM

Also, what do I measure to ensure that the axle is centered properly once I install the new adjustable trac bar?

by measuring from common frame ref points to the same tire ref points. I also have used Don Thuren's method for alignment to great success. You may want to check out this link...

http://thurenfabrication.com/align.html

Quick Reply: Would you recommend this lift kit?