3rd Generation Ram - Non Drivetrain - All Years Talk about the 2003 and up Dodge Ram here. PLEASE, NO ENGINE OR DRIVETRAIN DISCUSSION!.

Would you buy a black truck? Why or why not?

Search this Thread

Old 06-15-2008, 11:17 AM
Always a day late, and a dollar short.

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Black is real hard to keep looking good, but it makes chrome stand out!
Old 06-15-2008, 12:04 PM

Aside from the sharp looks, here in Arizona I avoid the dark colors. It has been proven that dark colors, especially black transfers heat better than lighter colors. I can see evidence of that in the fall and winter morning when you can see two vehicles setting next to one another, one white and one black and the black on has frost and the white one is dry or has dew. This is measurable as well. There can be as much as 20 degrees difference between a black and a white vehicle depending on the season.

I got a silver Ram. I never wanted silver, but it was the first 6 speed that was available in my area with a light color. Silver usually doesn't do well in Arizona,but mine has faired rather well. When it is washed and waxed, it is the best looking vehicle on the road!
Old 06-15-2008, 12:08 PM

Originally Posted by ktmrdr85
By the way, how do you use a claybar? I mean, what are the steps? For example, 1. Wash the truck, 2. Dry the truck, 3. ..., 4. ...?
Why is everyone ignoring this part of your post?

http://www.autogeek.net/detailing-clay-bar.html has some info. I plan to pick one up and do my truck, hopefully tomorrow.

I had my black 95 ram for 10 years and vowed to never get another black one. I wanted the NV, which had been discontinued soon after my truck was built, 4 months prior to purchase so I had to take what I could find. Hello, Patriot Blue. Atleast it's not black.
Old 06-15-2008, 12:51 PM

Well, you could just do what I'm attempting, Just coat the entire truck in chrome, stainless, and aluminum! LMAO!!!!! I also broke it up with some silver stripes to distract the eye off the imperfections! By the way, the clay bare isn't difficult to use! Just follow instrutions and you'll see it's simple! Good luck!
Old 06-15-2008, 01:07 PM

Get yourself a California Duster, works great for black for a quick cleanin'...
Old 06-15-2008, 02:28 PM

I love the look of a black vehicle. I have a black Volvo SUV and a black Porsche both of which look great when clean..keyword: CLEAN. Those 2 vehicles get a coat of dust on them about 15 minutes after you wash them. My white truck can go 2 weeks and still look showroom new. So, I say " NO WAY ".
Old 06-15-2008, 02:28 PM

Thanks guys for the comments. I think about the only thing that may keep me from purchasing a black truck now is if I saw one with a leveling kit and 35" BFG ATs and it didnt look good.

And I have never seen a truck that has BFGs that didnt look good.

Also, thanks for the claybar directions. I'll check 'em out!
Old 06-15-2008, 06:34 PM

I have had black trucks in the past and I swore I wouldn't have another one! Well now I have another one. Love the truck when it's clean, problem is it's seldom clean. The dually in my gallery is a very hard working truck and I have given up on trying to keep the paint from getting scratched up. Now once a year it goes in the body shop and gets what ever it needs. It usually needs a lot...I swear this is the very last black truck I will ever own... Well I guess it's the last one anyway...
See ya,
Topper
Old 06-15-2008, 07:46 PM

I would not buy a black truck. It is too hard to keep it looking good.

Black shows every little scratch and chip horribly.

The fact of the matter is trucks get used and stuff happens. I take extremely good care of my truck but even then, people ding you in the parking lot, or lean against your truck and it gets scratches. Hunting and snowmobiling trips take their toll as well.

I personally prefer white or silver. However, bright red is not too bad. A lot better then the Dark Garnett Red(maroon) on my 01. Navy blue is also tuff and dark grey as well. I would say bright red and light blue are inbetween black and white.

That being said, I think black looks great! I would love to have a new Challenger or Corvette in black. I would limit black to something that is garaged, driven seasonally and pampered. My truck doesn't fit that bill.

Clay bars work great.

First wash your truck and dry it.
Then use quick detailer(spray wax) and cover an area you want to work on. Then run the clay bar all over that area and you will see it pick up stuff. Then keep rotating and reshaping the clay bar so pick up more and more stuff.
Then use a cleaner wax or fine cut cleaner or scratch fix to fix any imperfections.
Then use a premium wax over the top. I really like Meguiars NXT, 3M, and Mothers Carnuba. Carnuba is nice because it does not attract dust and is harder(lasts longer). However I think the NXT shines the best. Just tried 3M and it worked well.
Old 06-15-2008, 07:57 PM
Banned

definately not... maybe a sports car or bike that I can keep in the garage and only drive when it's nice, but on my trucks, I'm the opposite side of the spectrum... I prefer white!
Old 06-15-2008, 08:59 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by RonsRig
. I can see evidence of that in the fall and winter morning when you can see two vehicles setting next to one another, one white and one black and the black on has frost and the white one is dry or has dew. This is measurable as well. There can be as much as 20 degrees difference between a black and a white vehicle depending on the season.
Why would the black truck have frost on it in the morning and not the white one? Black would warm up faster and be the first one dry.
My last 2 trucks and car have all been black
Old 06-15-2008, 09:16 PM

Mine is black. Has lots of chips on fenders due to lots of gravel roads. But that would be any truck regardless of color. All cars are hot in the summer but cools off quick. With the options of add ons (and I have a lot) I'm glad I have a Black truck. Washed often and waxed about every three months at car wash for $100 or so. Lot better than me doing it. Sad to say i feel sorry for them guys, but give them and extra $20 and they happy to see you again.
Old 06-16-2008, 09:09 AM

I've got a black 07, and would not do it again.
Dodge changed the black color in 07 to a metallic black and the color is beautiful, but it gets dirty FAST, and shows every little flaw.
I've learned over the years that the silver or khaki type colors hide most (light scratches/flaws).
Old 06-16-2008, 09:59 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
If it was a work truck, no way I'd buy black, but IMO, can't beat the looks of a black Ram!
Had a Patriot Blue '01, and may as well have been black, just as hard to keep clean.
My DMax is light pewter or something like that. Easiest truck to keep clean, waterspots are nearly invisible on it and it's the same color as dirt!
Attached Thumbnails Would you buy a black truck? Why or why not?-dsc00100.jpg  
Old 06-16-2008, 10:07 AM

My black BMW (actually Diamond Swartz - a metaflake) is a hi-maintenance color but relatively easy to work on compared to my Patriot Blue CTD. Even on a ladder it's tuff to reach the center of the cab or the matching canopy just to wash it. It was an all-weekend project to clean it & prep it for putting the Griot's Garage paint sealant on.
Using a clay bar requires some kind of 'lubricant' for the clay to float on, like a detailer's spray wax, etc. Needs to be done on a overcast day to reduce paint temp and how fast the clay lubricant dries.

No, I wouldn't get a black truck.

Quick Reply: Would you buy a black truck? Why or why not?