3rd Generation Ram - Non Drivetrain - All Years Talk about the 2003 and up Dodge Ram here. PLEASE, NO ENGINE OR DRIVETRAIN DISCUSSION!.

Wiring stock infinity amp to aftermarket stereo

Search this Thread

Old 10-22-2009, 12:01 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Wiring stock infinity amp to aftermarket stereo

So I replaced my stock radio. I have my stock infinity amplifier still and was wondering if there was anyway to wire it in to my aftermarket head unit.

On a similar note My aftermarket head unit has 5 outputs, the mids, highs, and subs. The infinity sound system speakers have the three tweeters up on the dash, is there anyway to wire these into my head unit?

This is the radio I have. http://www.alpine-usa.com/US-en/prod...model=CDA-9886
The following users liked this post:
vchicas (03-19-2018)
Old 10-23-2009, 10:37 AM

Anyone at least know where I can get a wiring diagram for the amp?
Old 10-23-2009, 01:54 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
save yourself the time go to best buy or your local stereo shop and buy the plug its prob about $50 and will work witht the factory amp
Old 10-23-2009, 02:00 PM

if you're dead set on rewiring get yourself a volt meter and test the wires in the harness behind the radio , any of them that read 4-8 ohm will be speakers, now to test which one it is get a 9 volt battery and touch he wires to it until you find the right one. ( thats how w e used to do it Circuit City anyway.)you may have to do this on the other side of the factory amp sometimes it works sometimes it doesnt behind the radio, like i said easier to buy the pre wire.
Old 10-23-2009, 05:23 PM

I am just bored, and cant work on the truck on base, so i figured it would be a good project
Old 10-23-2009, 09:46 PM

I don't think you will be able to wire through the factory amp. As i recall, the stock head unit outputs a canbus signal to the amp. Meaning there aren't your standard speaker wire connections coming out of the head unit. I just put in a JVC DVD head unit, and had to buy a Canbus adapter in order to wire the deck in, because there are no interface connections in our trucks. As well, i bought an amp bypass harness so i could wire up all the stock speakers and maintain proper fade and balance with my aftermarket deck. Be warned though, the stock speakers sound best when used with the stock headunit, in order to get better sound, you need to add an amp and new speakers, imo.

I see your truck as a 2004, but i think it still uses the can interface like my 07
Old 10-25-2009, 08:01 PM

Maybe I will just wait an buy an aftermarket system. I am just looking for a cheap project
Old 10-26-2009, 04:47 PM

The PAC C2R-CHY4, which is the Can-bus adapter for 04's and up, is $129 at Crutchfield, and the amp by-pas adapter kit was around $60 i think.
I also picked up the steering wheel adapter, so i can use the wheel controls as well, that was another $150 i think..
Old 12-06-2009, 07:35 PM

Buy the wiring adapter it works great with the factory amp. I installed the new alpine HU in my '03 and then replace the doors and dash speakers with new Infinity Ref series speakers all except the center tweet which i will order a pair of infinity tweets when i get time. It sounds great. then I added an alpine sub and amp. great clean sound.
Old 12-07-2009, 05:31 PM

Man I tried to figure that stuff out for 6 months searching high and low on the web for the info you want. I finally went and bought a couple of fosgate amps and a set of kappa 2 way six nines for the front doors. With the 6x9s being the only speakers the improvment is night and day. Componants would sound better I am sure. I am thinking about 5"comps for the back doors (nothing hooked up now) and ditching the second amp for an Infinity basslink single self powered sub. Should sound great and keep cost to a minnimum. I found some color coding for the stock system wiring @ the12volt.com installbay I dont have the link anymore. I think everyones right about the canbus thing. I didnt want to wait for delivery of the harness and I told myslf I would wire it. 6 months l8tr I bought the amps.
Some people say the stock speaks sound better with a new HU but after looking at them next to my 6x9 kappas Im suprised infinity put their name on them. JMHO RT out
Old 12-07-2009, 05:34 PM

PS if you are set on keeping the factory stuff buy the adapt harness like sh55 said. Be less hassle that way, WAY less
Old 12-07-2009, 05:56 PM

Don't know about canbus from the radio but I purchased the adapter at my local car audio shop in houston they had it in stock for $20 with the head unit and it works great, told them what I wanted to do and they sold me what i needed. I have not really looked but i think the factory amp has a crossover taking the highs out of the front 6X9's and the lows out of the dash speakers. The Infinity ref 3 way's just barely fit (due to the depth) but the did using the factory spacer. And the sub i used is an Alpine type S 12" the infinity ref 12" wouldn't fit in the box due to the cage being to large. I plan on building a custom fiberglass box for under the rear seat that will be ported and will then switch to a type R 10" sub, the type s kinda sucks but its OK for now the cheapy box is mostly the problem.
Old 03-15-2015, 07:59 PM

No dash speaker sound

Hello all. Newbie to the forum and have a question about this topic. I’ve done extensive research on this so don’t get all up on me about using the search function please. So i’ve got a 2004 Dodge Ram 1500 Laramie with the Infinity 7 speaker system without the UConnect hands free. I just bought the truck and the previous owner had installed an aftermarket headunit in it already. for some reason he smashed it with his fist and it was non functioning when I got it. So I threw a new aftermarket Head Unit in and just tied the deck into the existing radio harness with an install harness. There is no Interface installed and I’m sure the Factory amp has not been bypassed, and all speakers are also still factory.

So everything seems fine, head unit functions and works fine. i know the Front Doors are just bass speakers and only put out low freq sound which I expected, the rear door speakers are full range and sound accordingly. I know my steering wheel controls won’t function and I don’t have the RAP (retained Accessory Power) which I’m fine with.

So here is the question:

My dash speakers do not function, so I have no High Freq sound in the front of the truck. I know I can bypass the amp and put full range door speakers in the front to achieve this but I’d like to leave the factory speakers alone for now.

So does the CHTO-02 Interface make the dash speakers work as well? Like I said I’ve spent the last 4 days looking for this answer to no avail. I do not want to spend the money on the interface to find out this is not my problem, and its probably cheaper to bypass the amp and do the door speakers anyways, and sound better.

Is it because the amp perhaps has no power and the current speaker signal is just passing through the amp, therefore not getting seperated and sent to the dash as well?
Does anyone know the answer to this?
Old 02-11-2016, 07:48 PM

Originally Posted by johnnyboy_10138
So I replaced my stock radio. I have my stock infinity amplifier still and was wondering if there was anyway to wire it in to my aftermarket head unit.

On a similar note My aftermarket head unit has 5 outputs, the mids, highs, and subs. The infinity sound system speakers have the three tweeters up on the dash, is there anyway to wire these into my head unit?

This is the radio I have. http://www.alpine-usa.com/US-en/prod...model=CDA-9886
Old 02-11-2016, 07:58 PM

the Infinity Amp is a B**ch to get at so I couldn't bypass it, I ended up just running new speaker wires to all the speakers in the truck including the dash Tweeters directly to the head unit. Possibly an interface could solve the problem and you can use the factory wiring but i couldn't get an answer anywhere (not even local installers) and wasn't sure if there was just something wrong with the factory amp. So i didn't want to spend the money on an interface and find out it didn't fix my problem.

Quick Reply: Wiring stock infinity amp to aftermarket stereo