3rd Generation Ram - Non Drivetrain - All Years Talk about the 2003 and up Dodge Ram here. PLEASE, NO ENGINE OR DRIVETRAIN DISCUSSION!.

Will a remote starter protect against theft?

Search this Thread

Old 12-22-2004, 07:34 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Will a remote starter protect against theft?

How can a remote starter protect against theft? I'm not sure what year DC started using transponder chips in the key but I'm under the impression that YOU CAN'T start this truck without the key. Period. Obviously the remote starters bypass this system somehow but without the remote starter manual I can't figure out how and how it can protect against theft.

I'd like to get one of those Crimestopper remote starters on eBay because of the cool-down feature. But I'm not going to until I figure out it's safe.

Can someone with a remote starter please explain how our trucks with the transponder key will still be safe from theft with one installed?
Old 12-22-2004, 07:42 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The Transponder key really has nothing to do with it. Most remote starters are set up so that they will run without the key in the ignition for a set period of time. If anyone toches the brake pedal or opens the hood without the key the truck will shut off. Different systems have more or less elaborate setups, but no one is going to be able to drive off with the truck any more or less than a professional crook is going to be able to anyway.

Hondo

I am sure that others here can give a more technical explanation.
Old 12-22-2004, 09:04 AM

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
We have a remote starter on my wife's "02" Lexus. The key security system is bypassed so we can use the remote starter. If someone steps on the brake peddle it kills the engine without the key. A professional installer can wire around the security system.
Old 12-23-2004, 09:19 AM

On most remote starters with the transponder key you need to put a spare key in a bypass module under the dash. When you activate the remote start the bypass module sends a signal from the key to the ignition cylinder to let the truck start. As others have stated once you step on the brake it kills the remote start as well as the bypass which is activated and powered by the remote start. This will still require you to use a transponder key to keep the truck running after stepping on the brake or to start it up without using the remote start. There are many different systems out there you can even get one with a built in alarm if desired.
Old 12-23-2004, 07:46 PM

Your Dodge won't need a spare key under the dash. You will have to install a Key transponer bypass chip that will simulate a key while the remote start is active. The rest of the time the transponder key works like normal. Get one, you wont regret it. I used to be a detractor of Alarms/Remote starts because of the many problems with them. I installed mine myself and I can't believe I went years without one.