3rd Generation Ram - Non Drivetrain - All Years Talk about the 2003 and up Dodge Ram here. PLEASE, NO ENGINE OR DRIVETRAIN DISCUSSION!.

why no lifetime drivetrain warranty like all other dodges?

Search this Thread

Old 11-19-2007, 08:29 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
why no lifetime drivetrain warranty like all other dodges?

anyone know why dodge doesnt offer the cummins powered trucks with the lifetime drivetrain warranty like they do all other dodge vehicles? I was going to trade in my 06 6peed truck because of this warranty and get a new 6 speed auto so the wife could help drive on long trips but now I'm having second thoughts. if they were warranting the diesels I would be in an 08 right now.
Old 11-19-2007, 08:44 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
general use of the truck will be harder on parts, they know this. Pretty much just a new marketing gig to generate sales. I am sure there is some tight fine print.
Old 11-19-2007, 08:48 PM

I'd guess they are not counting on many of the lifetime powertrain units staying with original owners longer than what is currently the norm. Diesels on the otherhand are probably prone to high miles early or longer ownership in general. Slight of hand, they ain't doing it to save you money.
Old 11-19-2007, 10:42 PM

Because they don't know if I'm running commercial.
Old 11-19-2007, 11:15 PM

i believe the warranty is written only for the internals of the engines FAILING. this does not cover worn out parts. i could be wrong but that is what i've heard and led to believe.
Old 11-19-2007, 11:32 PM

I wrote a letter to Chrysler about this very subject, stating that I'd be interested in a new 3500 Megacab if they were to offer the lifetime powertrain AND the lifetime bumper to bumper (discussed elsewhere in this site) warranty. I told 'em that a) I'd sing their praises to anyone who'd listen and try to be the best Chrysler ambassador I could be, and b) if they were worried about me modding the truck they could seal the ECM, injector connections, etc., just to make sure I didn't do anything crazy.

Funny - I never got a response.....
Old 11-19-2007, 11:59 PM

Diesel owners, on average, hold on to their vehicles for a much longer period of time. The warranty is non transferable so in most cases Dodges obligation period for those warranties is probably only three to four years, and I'd bet that a good chunk of them are two years or less. How many neon drivers do you know that say they'll keep em forever?
Old 11-20-2007, 07:17 AM

on avg. most people keep cars trucks for 5.3 yrs, so they say lifetime for sales gimmick(really just like others 100,000 mi warr.) according to dodge
Old 11-20-2007, 08:16 AM

The fine print on the 'lifetime' warranty has tons of restrictions, will serve to stop the 'play' on the vehicles with aftermarket stuff - trade-ins won't be so overpunished down the line.

They know people who buy trucks with diesels actually 'work' them pulling trailers, etc. They know just how much the costs can actually be and for all intent and purpose do not want to cover what they know will wear/break due to 'real' use situations.

They probably jacked up the stiker to cover what could be claimed under this warranty anyway, no real deal here in this 'lifetime' stuff, just a sales gimmic.

CD
Old 11-20-2007, 08:26 AM

Here is their liftime warranty on the gas engine....

Gasoline Engine: cylinder block and all internal parts; cylinder head assemblies; timing case, timing chain, timing belt, gears and sprockets; vibration
damper; oil pump; water pump and housing; intake and exhaust manifolds; flywheel with starter ring gear; core plugs; valve covers; oil pan; turbocharger
housing and internal parts; turbocharger wastegate actuator; supercharger; serpentine belt tensioner; seals and gaskets for listed components only.

Transmission:transmission case and all internal parts; torque converter; drive/flex plate; transmission range switch; transmission control module; bell
housing; oil pan; seals and gaskets for listed components only. NOTE: MANUAL TRANSMISSION CLUTCH PARTS ARE NOT COVERED AT ANY
TIME

Front Wheel Drive: transaxle case and all internal parts; axle shaft assemblies; constant velocity joints and boots; differential cover; oil pan; transaxle
speed sensors; transaxle solenoid assembly; PRNDL position switch; transaxle electronic controller; torque converter; seals and gaskets for listed
components only. NOTE: MANUAL TRANSMISSION CLUTCH PARTS ARE NOT COVERED AT ANY TIME.

All Wheel Drive (AWD): power transfer unit and all internal parts; viscous coupler; axle housing and all internal parts; constant velocity joints and boots; driveshaft and axle shaft assemblies; differential carrier assembly and all internal parts; output ball bearing; output flange; end cover; overrunning clutch; vacuum motor; torque tube; pinion spacer and shim, seals and gaskets for listed components only.

Rear Wheel Drive: rear axle housing and all internal parts; axle shafts; axle shaft bearings; drive shaft assemblies; drive shaft center bearings; universal
joints and yokes; seals and gaskets for listed components only.

Four-Wheel Drive (4X4): transfer case and all internal parts; transfer case control module and shift mode motor assembly; axle housing and all internal
parts; axle shafts; axle shaft bearings; drive shafts assemblies (front and rear); drive shaft center bearings; universal joints and yokes; disconnect housing assembly; seals and gaskets for the listed components only.

Now for my opinion as to why DC does not offer it on Diesels. The cost of a single diesel motor is about the cost of 3 gas motors. They are less likley to get hit hardest in the pocketbook with having 3 gas motors fail as to 1 diesel. That and like someone said before. Diesel owners keep their vehicles longer.

Hub
Old 11-20-2007, 09:53 AM

Would the engine being built by Cummins have anything to do with it? I would be gun shy after the FoMoCo and Internash warranty issues myself.
Old 11-20-2007, 01:34 PM

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
My take on it...

Chrysler Corp. has offered/is offering diesels from several different manufacturers besides Cummins (VM in the old CRD Liberty, MB in the Cherokee for example). It's my understanding that they buy these engines without a warranty. Seems like it would be foolish to slap on a lifetime warranty, when they really don't have any control over the quality of these engines. Even though the Cummins implies legendary reliability, it's easier for them just to say "no diesels" across the board.
Old 11-20-2007, 08:17 PM

Who cares, They'd just void it due to bad fuel, or maybe some aftermarket seat covers.
Old 11-21-2007, 08:19 AM

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts
I'd guess that they offered the lifetime warranty to try to boost sales, and diesels aren't the vehicles they are having trouble moving...

Just a guess.

If reports of fuel economy on the new trucks were better, and they did offer the lifetime warranty, though, I'd be very tempted...
Old 11-21-2007, 01:24 PM

You have to remember that this is a new thing for them and they could be market testing it,I am shure if they numbers go up they will be offering it for all Dodges.

I have been watching Dodge for about 4 years now and it seems that they are about the only one's thinking ahead,the Japs are right around the corner fron selling Diesels in the US,when they do the big 3 are going to need to do something to counter it or there Diesel line will go under like there gas line is.

Pav

Quick Reply: why no lifetime drivetrain warranty like all other dodges?