3rd Generation Ram - Non Drivetrain - All Years Talk about the 2003 and up Dodge Ram here. PLEASE, NO ENGINE OR DRIVETRAIN DISCUSSION!.

Waxed?

Old 01-16-2005, 06:15 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Waxed?

I recently had my 05 3500 coated with the paint and interior protection package. Does anyone have any idea what specific product was used on the exterior of my truck?

I'm also looking for a 2005 factory technical manual, preferably c/d.

Any advice would be helpful.
Old 01-17-2005, 08:12 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Can't help on the paint protector. I would try geno's for the manual, they sale both printed and CD versions. www.genosgargage.com is the web-site.
Old 01-17-2005, 02:24 PM

The whole paint protection from a dealership is a scam. Don't let anyone touch the paint. Your just throwing money away. I've had buddies that had it done and it was a joke, they even had swirls in the paint afterwards.
Old 01-17-2005, 03:08 PM

Re: Waxed?

Originally posted by runamuk
I recently had my 05 3500 coated with the paint and interior protection package. Does anyone have any idea what specific product was used on the exterior of my truck?

Any advice would be helpful.
Every dealership uses a different company to do the paint/fabric protectants. Some have to be cared for a certain way, periodic touch-up (maintenance), others are a 1 time deal. You should have got a contract that you signed, warranty, when you bought it. Cheack that out and if it still doesn't answer your question contact your selling dealer, they will know.
Old 01-17-2005, 04:51 PM
DTR's Self Appointed Beer Advisor

Originally posted by DSLRammin
The whole paint protection from a dealership is a scam. Don't let anyone touch the paint. Your just throwing money away. I've had buddies that had it done and it was a joke, they even had swirls in the paint afterwards.

don't know if all of them are a joke but i am with you on the paint protection from the dealership. i wouldn't waste my money on it.

when i picked my truck up it was DIRTY and i wanted it that way. i didn't want some 16 kid in the back to wash it with a brush and scratch it up. there isn't one scratch anywhere on the truck right now. no swirl marks at all.

my accord didn't fair so well. they got to it before i could pick it up. still looks good but there are some swirl marks in the paint.

i am just too picky to let someone else mess with the paint. god i need to get a life

britt

Old 01-17-2005, 05:37 PM

The interior protection is usually just the same spray stuff anyone can buy.Paint also.A lot of dealers got away from this kinda stuff many years ago.Usually a NEW salesmanger that thinks he's got a way to boost profits.The way to BOOST profits is have a BIG used car business.Thats were the real money is.This is the WRONG era to be adding snake oil to the window stickers.MOST dealers know that and don't do it.
Old 01-17-2005, 07:26 PM

It's funny .. the ******* tried to con me into buying the whole protection package .. undercoat , diamond coat for the paint , Scotchgard for the interior.$700cdn yikes !!. well i have friend who is the service manager at our local Honda dealer and he got there detail guy to do it for 2 - 24's of BUD !! he says it is a big scam .. after every job they do they have TONS left over . so they did the complete undercoat , diamond coat and scotch guard .. and my buddy knows how **** i am about this kinda stuff so he made his guy just over kill everything .. i have to say i am happy with the undercoat !! but the diamond coat on the paint sucks *** !! go get a good Maguires wax and do it yourself !!! 10 times better !!!
Old 01-17-2005, 09:28 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I've used teflon boat wax on all of my vehicles for years with great results.

I accidently over sprayed my last truck with oil based stain and the stain washed off of all the paint but stuck to the glass (cleaned the glass with Lacquer thinner).

I just wanted to know what this diamond coating is since the once a year thing usually isn't.

Found the c/d and manuals at Geno's thanks for the tip!
Not available for the 05 yet
Old 01-17-2005, 09:58 PM

Pixey dust for the paint... Tinker Bell sprinkles it on... Interior gets a squirt of Scotch Gaurd in it's general direction. The under-coat is spray in bed liner material, that is what takes the time to apply.

It's a scam. Usually sold by the Lienance manager, but some slick sales twerps will try it too.

My mom bought a car about 15 years ago and they sold her that package BS. They told her that with the paint protection she would never have to wax the car and it would maintain it's shine forever!
Old 01-18-2005, 09:10 AM

Those paint protection things are a scam. They just use a decent quality wax and lay down one coat. Do yourself a favor, and just go buy some Zaino or Liquid Glass (the two best fully synthetic waxes available).

www.zainostore.com and www.liquidglass.com
Old 01-19-2005, 08:11 AM

search ebay... you will find them there selling for ± $10 usd. they are burned cdr copies, but they do the job. i got my 04 manual from there for $9.99usd including shipping... i downloaded a 03 manual when it was floating around for a while...

i've got my 03 and 04 copies floating around on limewire....
Old 01-20-2005, 11:15 PM

A can of scotchguard for the interior was how I treated mine. I wont think about wax until it is about a year old.
Old 01-21-2005, 07:52 AM

I had the diamond coat on my 03 dodge 4x4 2500 quad cab. The color was black and the guy I bought it from said he usually wouldn't recommend it but with black paint it might be a good idea. I have to say I was really impressed with it. I had it for a year and a half and never once polished it and it still looked like it was polished. I am not sure what chemicals they use in the protectant but its almost like a teflon coating. It was amazing on my black truck, kept me from polishing the truck and producing swirl marks. Black paint shows swirl marks very very bad. The only thing I did not like about the protectant was that you had to actually wash the truck by hand to remove dirt, ect. from the truck, its almost like it sticks to the protectant. Anyway, I will quit rambling on, in my opinion if the truck is not black, I would not waste the money on the diamond coat.